The full-time RV dream

steve

So, each year @Tess and I get out more and more. Our home feels more like a noose around our neck than the freeing experience the American Dream tells me it should be. We are selling our house and seriously considering living in an RV as a sort of tiny house, full-time as we travel the states. We want to mountain bike, hike, backpack, packraft, and explore this great country, because we hardly know it outside of Utah and California. This thread will talk about what we're thinking and learning on the way.

Before this weekend, we had never spent any time inside an RV. In order to get an idea of whether or not it'd work for us, we decided to rent an RV and learn... learn... and learn.

Noobie RV Rental Experience Day 1

Last edited:
Awesome! I just finished watching part 2 in the other thread and the whole time I was thinking "he should start a thread on this!!".

Living a permanent road trip certainly sounds enticing. I'll be interested to see what you guys end up deciding to do. Would also be curious to hear about the cost of living comparisons. Best of luck finding what works best for you guys.

Thanks. It all comes down to whether or not I can find a great job where i can work from home. it won't be all sunshine and roses, that's for sure. I'm afraid it'll get really lonely with all our friends and family behind, but I think we'll meet some new friends along the way. Rather than staying in a new campsite each night, we plan on spending a few weeks, and even a few months, in each area to get a good idea what it's like (and to hike more than a trail or two).

Awesome, thanks river. We are noobs, so we could use some tips now and then. We've been following technomadia and gone with the wynns, and they have some great info.

Ah...now the video I watched last night (packraft thread) makes sense. Interesting idea. I'll be curious as to how it unfolds for you guys. I could see it going either way...loving it and fully embracing it...or burning out and deciding that the luxuries of a home really are nice. (I guess something in between is likely as well). ;)

I've talked about doing this with my wife. With 3 kids it's just not feasible, even though my job would easily allow me to work from anywhere. Someday.... someday.

I wish I could find a job that would let me work from the road. That's my biggest hurdle right now.

My mother has been a full time RV'r for almost 20 years (she's in her late 70's now). She's pretty much given up on working in recent years but for many years worked as a "workamper", usually doing things like being a Campground Host but she's also worked for Park Service concessionaires. She once organized a season of campfire talks and presentations. These aren't high paying jobs, often the only compensation is a free place to park the RV, sometimes there's a stipend too. It works out well though if one is living off a fixed income. There's an enormous social network around full time RVing, and more than a few members in the clubs my mother is involved are often younger (i.e. not necessarily "retired") people with careers or other demands that tie them to a fixed home but enjoy sufficiently flexible scheduling- or maybe work part time or seasonally- to get out on the road often enough to enjoy the lifestyle.

One place to start with the employment search aspect might be this site: http://www.workamper.com/

Got $500k laying around?

http://earthroamer.com

7b6d5e3f141fec6be069f10756203881.jpg

Those are sweet. Unicat makes something super cool too, for less. I'll see if I can find one.

I work with a couple who lives full time out of a slightly customized Airstream that they tow. It was a nice rig and I thought there was some benefit to driving a truck and towing their home instead of driving their home. Pros and cons to both options. They love the mobile life.

awesome. I'd love to chat with them sometime to pick their brains.

I'd like to keep doing what I do now (instructional design and video production), only on the road.