Southern UT, Late June

Vegan.Hiker

I had been planning a backpacking trip on the Lost Coast Trail in northern CA for the past few months for this summer. However, Mrs. Vegan Hiker informed me last week that she wants to join me. She then started dropping hints that she REALLY wants to see deserts and canyons, so instead of the Lost Coast, I'll be coming back to Utah and I'm pretty damn excited about it.

The only days she can go are June 25-30 so that's when we'll be coming. I just got approval for the days off, so now the real planning can begin. There are LOTS of trip reports on here that I need to re-read.

I haven't really done my homework yet because plans just changed but from what I can gather the first order of business should be to decide which parks we are going to so I can start working on the permit process. The 25th and 30th will be travel days so we will have 4 full days to hike. Since a happy wife makes life easier, I need to take her limits and preferences into consideration. She is interested in seeing the highlights of southern Utah, all that cool stuff we can't see in the northeast. Being in a remote place where other people are unseen does nothing for her and she doesn't mind seeing other people so popular hikes like Angel's Landing would be okay. We are willing to do day hikes, backpack, or any combination, whatever will bring us the most stunning scenery.

So here are my first set of questions:

Since we only have 4 full days for hiking, does Zion and Bryce Canyon make sense? Maybe 2 days in each? What hikes will give us the best bang for the buck considering we've never been to the area and probably won't be able to come back for several years? Are there any non-national parks like San Rafael that we should be considering (although I think that's sort of out of the way to the east right?)

It seems the southern UT region is pretty much equidistant to SLC and Las Vegas airports. Would it be better to fly into SLC and take the scenic Highway 12 down? Is that driving too far out of the way? Will it add too much extra driving?

Am I correct to assume, I'm not too late to the game for the permit process? I heard from a close friend who was in Canyonlands last year that about 3 months out is when it starts to get dicey.

What's the low down on coming that time of the year (late June)?

The forum members here were so helpful when I planned my Uintas trip last summer so I'm real confident you guys will help me plan a killer trip.

Last edited:
First things first. End of June will be HOT. I would plan hikes around water.

After that, it's really up to you. How much driving do you mind? Where do you want to go? Do you want to hit the famous stuff, or something less traveled? Backpacking?

Maybe search some photo's, show you're lady and see what she is most excited about and start from there.

That's awesome news. Are you looking for backpacking ideas or day hikes?

We're willing to backpack or day hike. Whichever makes the most sense logistically so that we can see as much as possible. If we do Bryce and Zion, would be nice ideally to do an overnight backpack in each maybe? I just don't want to backpack at the expense of seeing less locations if that makes sense. Which leads me to another question... do airports have any qualms about bringing a jetboil on board? I assume I'll have to buy the fuel canisters there, but what about the stove itself?

Last edited:
First things first. End of June will be HOT. I would plan hikes around water.

After that, it's really up to you. How much driving do you mind? Where do you want to go? Do you want to hit the famous stuff, or something less traveled? Backpacking?

Maybe search some photo's, show you're lady and see what she is most excited about and start from there.

Since I'll have to drive a few hours from either SLC or Las Vegas, I'd like to make the driving as scenic as possible so it feels like part of the trip, not just part of getting there. I began the process of searching other threads here and it seems like if I take Highway 12 down to Bryce from up north that Calf Creek falls might be a cool little spur hike to do on the drive down.

She saw a video of Angels Landing and wants to do that. She doesn't try to avoid other people when hiking like I tend to do sometimes. So it doesn't really matter if it's popular or less traveled, just want to see the most beautiful stuff and if that means more people, she'll be okay with that. She also wouldn't mind doing some overnights in more remote spots (probably not worth bringing all the backpacking gear out for just one night though) so if we're gonna backpack I'd like to do 2 or 3 nights. She also saw a video of the narrows, but didn't look too interested in walking through the water for that long, but she'd still be open to it I'm sure. Inspiration point in Bryce looks pretty amazing as well.

The stove is okay on board, but yeah, definitely buy the fuel local.

Like Dan said, it'll be hot hot hot. An overnight backpack trip down The Narrows in Zion would be a hell of an introduction to that area and a nice centerpiece for your trip. Way better than the tourist hell of the lower few miles of the canyon. The Subway from the top is also really nice in June if you are comfortable with the semi-tech nature of it. Tons of water in both so they are perfect for the time of the year. The West Rim point-to-point would also be good since it's at higher elevations. That's a sweet hike. And you can hit Angel's on the way down if you want.

I haven't done much in Bryce, but it's high elevation should make it pretty nice that time of year. If you do Bryce but want to get out of the park and see less crowds and do some primitive camping, check out Willis Creek and the Cottonwood Narrows. Willis is a little down the Skutumpah Road and Cottonwood is down the Cottonwood Road. Either is accessed south of Cannonville (not far east of Bryce) and if the roads are dry and in good condition, a car is okay. Kodachrome Basin is out that way too.

If you want to go a little further east, you could do some stuff in the promised land, aka Escalante. It's a bit of a drive down Hole-in-the-Rock, but the Fortymile-Willow loop would be killer with lots of water to keep cool in. Coyote Gulch would be good as well, but super hot and the entrance/exits are longer and more strenuous. If you stay closer to Escalante, a day hike to Calf Creek Falls is worthwhile, or if you want to see less people, you could drop into the middle section of Boulder Creek (good as an overnighter too).

Late June can start to get hot, but a little elevation can change that.
Zion would be great. Bryce would too. Bryce might get some cold nights if you're camping.

Kanarraville Falls would be a great hike, with water, not in a national park.
The Waterfall Trail at the Red Cliffs Desert Preserve would be another fun/short hike.

There's tons of other stuff out there too. But just wanted to suggest a few spots.

Should have no problem with a jetboil on the plane, as long as you don't bring the canisters. The canisters are a no-no.

Thanks @Nick and @uintahiker - this gives me a good place to start with my research. The BCP search function will get a lot of use from me over the next 5 months too.

Last edited:
I've always flown into Vegas for Southern Utah, it's my understanding that flying into SLC is more preferable if you wanna head straight to the Eastern side of the state - Moab, Canyonlands etc? From Vegas you can be in Zion in a little over 2hrs.

Zion is a classic for someone who's never been to the area but the main canyon is very very busy, I believe its the 5th most visited park in the entire country. Of course for a first trip I wanted to do the "classics" eg Angels Landing, the Narrows, Hidden Canyon etc so didn't mind the crowds. Since then i've tried to stick to Kolob Canyons or Kolob Terrace when in Zion. Bryce is cool but much smaller with less to do than Zion, I wouldn't spend more than one day and one night there tbh. There's a few trails but not really any big-mileage options. I really like Red Canyon, a little West of Bryce on UT-12 - a really unique landscape, with few people and lots of interconnecting trails that you can combine any way you want to create a hike of a distance that suits yourselves...

I see Red Cliffs has been mentioned, I like that area too. Check out Red Reef Trail for some classic sandstone canyon, waterfalls and riparian action! Yant Flat nearby is pretty unique too - looks a bit like the Coyote Buttes/White Pocket area. Kanarraville Falls is also another great option as has been mentioned.

You're spoilt for options!

Thanks @Dan_85 I've added your suggestions to the list I made from the other suggestions. I have quite a bit of research to do to get up to speed on these suggestions but I'm sure I'll be back with more questions once I've done my due diligence.

This is exactly the little bit of direction I needed to get me rolling in the right direction.

If you want to see Bryce, but are afraid it doesn't offer enough, there is some really great stuff just to the south of it. The Western GSENM, and Kodachrome basin. 4 days of hiking may seem like a lot, but there are just way too many options.

Still early and I have plenty more research to do but here's my first draft of a plan. Also found out that my wife can leave a day earlier so we'll get 5 full trail days now instead of 4.

Wed June 24th - fly into LAS airport then drive to Springdale and spend the night in a hotel.

Thu June 25th - Day 1 of 2 on the West Rim Trail from Lava Point to the Grotto. From what I've read there is only one campsite on the West Rim Trail meant for 2 people (site #2) so I hope it's not wishful thinking that I'll be able to get a site permit).

Fri June 26th - Day 2 of 2 on the West Rim Trail with the extra mile spur up to Angels Landing when we get to Scout lookout. Will sleep in a hotel again this night.

Sat June 27th - Day 1 of 2 of the Narrows. Would like to do the whole 17 miler from the top down. Again, hope it's not wishful thinking on getting the permit for a campsite.

Sun June 28th - Day 2 of 2 of the Narrows. Finish up the Narrows then drive to the 2 hours to a campground outside of Bryce Canyon. Seems there are two park run campgrounds but would probably stay at one the privately owned ones that has showers.

Monday June 29th - Day hike the 6 mile loop in Bryce that combines the Navajo/Queens Garden/Peekaboo loops. Then start driving back towards LAS airport and stop at a hotel somewhere along the way. Maybe Springdale again.

Tue - June 30th - fly home

This is just my my first rough draft. I'm sure you guys will be able to point out parts that don't make sense or could be done better differently way so I'd appreciate feedback.

If you want to see Bryce, but are afraid it doesn't offer enough, there is some really great stuff just to the south of it. The Western GSENM, and Kodachrome basin. 4 days of hiking may seem like a lot, but there are just way too many options.

This is exactly something I've started to consider. I'm not 100% sold on doing the day hike on my final day in Bryce. I showed my wife @IntrepidXJ's trip report on the Wave in Coyote Buttes North and she was super impressed. According to one of my books that's a 6 mile hike too. Which area do you guys find to be more impressive? I'm sure either one would blow our minds. Also, the Peekaboo trail in Bryce (which seems unavoidable if trying to make a longer loop) gives horseback tours from what I read which is something that we try to avoid (like Havasupai).

Would be ideal to do two shorter (like 3 or 4 mile) day hike in both in the same day but that's probably too much driving.

Last edited:
It's nearly impossible to get a permit, especially for a pre-determined date and especially in June. Coyote Buttes South is a bit easier though.

Oh geez, I just assumed you didn't need a permit there since it's not in a NP. You don't need a permit for anything out east so permits are pretty unfamiliar territory for me.

for what it's worth.

i think that going to bryce is definitely worth it, though i don't know that you need more than one day. i've only been there once, and hardly below the rim. what ever you do there, it's quite a sight.

it's my impression, though i have never been, that calf creek falls is a worth while stop.

personally, i thought that the west rim trail didn't offer a lot of bang for the buck, or for the mileage, in zion. my brother and i did all of it as part of a cross zion trek last march. see that here if you want. there are some fantastic views for sure, but there is a lot of time looking at them with out much else. personally i think that time spent in zion could be put to better use. that being said, definitely do angels landing. the narrows in their entirety also sounds like an awesome idea.

it's my understanding that coyote buttes north is one of the most difficult permits to get just about any where. every one wants to do it. how ever, if you do get one, and go out there, be sure to take some time at least to day hike into wire pass and buckskin gulch. i think we spent like four hours there because we happened to be in the area, but it was fantastic.

take my opinions with the knowledge that i am not near so utah experienced as most of the people on here. good luck.

Even if you could get a permit for the Wave, I definitely wouldn't do it in late June. Two people died there last year from the heat. Don't underestimate it. Being out on the sandstone in midday heat is like being in an oven. There usually isn't any water out there, and when the Wave does have water it's from storms and not drinkable.

Have you thought about Taylor Creek in Kolob Canyon? It's gorgeous, is on the river, and campsites #10 and higher are secluded and gorgeous.

how can you mention kolob canyon and not kolob arch? taylor creek is very nice. if you go out that way, it's right by hop valley, which i thought was the nicest part of the park over a 60 mile hike across it. but that was at the end of march. i have an idea that it might be less appealing later into the year.