Snowshoes

I LOVE the tubbs flx series. The FLX TRK is a great snowshoe for the casual snowshoer. I plan on buying 2 more pair this winter so I have some for friends when they want to tag along. If you're looking for floatation in deep powder, there are better snowshoes. For tracked out trails, I haven't found anything i like more.

I like the MSRs for backcountry travel with no trail, but on a trail, I much prefer the tubbs.

I have the MSR Evo Tour's from a few years back and like them.

I got a pair of MSR Lightning Ascents a few months back and have used them a couple of times now. I wasn't expecting a huge improvement over the Evo Tours, but I've been pleasantly surprised with them. I like them on all terrains a lot! Can't wait to really climb some mountains with them :)

The issue I have with the MSR "plastic" snowshoes (Evo line) is that warm snow will ball up under the show. That makes the snowshoe heaver because the snow clings to the bottom. It also reduces/eliminates the traction provided by the teeth on the bottom of the snowshoe.

The MSR Lightning Ascents do not suffer from that problem. However, because the Ascents are normally longer than the EVO line, it is a little harder to descend steep slopes with the Ascents compared to the Evo's.

The MSR Lightning Ascents do not suffer from that problem. However, because the Ascents are normally longer than the EVO line, it is a little harder to descend steep slopes with the Ascents compared to the Evo's.

Not sure if they still make them, but MSR used to make the Lightning Ascent in 22", which would be the same size as the Evo.