Snowshoes

Vegan.Hiker

Me and my buddy have reservations at an AMC Hut in the White Mountains for the first week of Nov for some winter slack packing. For you westerners, AMC (Appalachian Mountain Club) huts are rustic trail access only bunk hostels with kitchens set just below tree line up in the Whites.

Anyways, we thought this would be a crampon type of affair but have learned that even in early Nov we would be best off playing it safe and carrying snow shoes as well.

Since I don't own a pair of snowshoes I need to now pick up a pair and am wondering if anyone has any suggestions or recommendations. I stopped at my outfitter to peruse and they recommended the 25" MSR Denali and one of the 25" Tubbs models (can't recall the name). Doesn't seem like many other choices are out there other than these 2 companies. The Tubbs have an alumin frame and the Denali's seem pretty much solid plastic so I'm not sure how durable they are. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, checked my outfitters website and they carry them. I'll take a look when I go back. A bit more expensive than the Denali. I'll read some reviews comparing the two. Thanks.

Thanks, checked my outfitters website and they carry them. I'll take a look when I go back. A bit more expensive than the Denali. I'll read some reviews comparing the two. Thanks.
Go with the MSR lightning ascents. My step dad wears them and climbs major mountains with ease! Great construction, tough as coffin nails, and a decent price too!

Just my two cents. Use the MSR Lighting ascents three times a week when there is snow. Great shoe! Also have the MSR Evo tour and have had great success with it. Depending on where we are going determines the shoe I take. Several of the other guys have the TUBBS snowshoe, there have been some "durability" issues with them. And they did not seem to "hold" as well on decent in deep snow.

Thanks for the testimonials, any suggestions on where I might be able to pick them up online at a better price than the $289 at my outfitter?

Thanks that link was helpful (sorry for not searching before posting). It sounds like MSR is the way to go over Tubbs. I'm going to look for a deal on the lightning but if I can't find a better price, I may just pick up the Denali's since they are a third of the price. That other thread also reminded me that I need to replace the baskets that have cracked and broken off of my trekking poles.

The MSR are nice but I prefer the atlas 1230. They are really pricy so if you don't plan on using them often go with the MSR. The Atlas has a great binding, superior floatation, serious crampons on the bottom and incredible durability. The pair I have is used 40 times a winter for the last ten years, both on snow and early winter mixed conditions.

The MSR evo are quite good as well. Not a fan of tubs.

I think the bindings on the better MSR shoes are the best available design.

Another vote for the MSR Lightning Ascents. Go longer on the length. It won't hurt much and it may help.

Get the float tails too. Like owning two specialized sets of shoes--just right when you need them.

Thanks everyone. I trust you guys on the MSR lightning ascents but since I'm upgrading several pieces of equipment right now I went win the MSR Denali since they are a 3rd of the price. I didn't pick up the tails yet since the snow out east tends to be wet and heavy as opposed to powdery but I can always add them later if need be. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It has a lot to do with your stride too. If you have a standard stride, Tubbs and MSR are great. If you walk with your toes pointed in or out you may want to consider a pair of Red Feather's.

kcwins, you have any experience with Redfeathers? i found a pair yesterday through sierra trading post that were only $78 and wondered what any one thought of them. i bought them, but it's one of those prices that's almost to good to be true

kcwins, you have any experience with Redfeathers? i found a pair yesterday through sierra trading post that were only $78 and wondered what any one thought of them. i bought them, but it's one of those prices that's almost to good to be true

My very first pair of snowshoes that I bought years ago were Redfeather Hikers from STP...they were replaced with MSRs the next season.

I have had my Redfeather snow shoes for the last 4 years. I've had no issues with them at all. They get normal use and I haul a pulk for winter camping with them on. I weigh just over 200lbs and with a normal winter load of around 50lbs, I don't hesitate to use them on any and all winter trips I take here in Michigan. At the price you bought them for you won't regret it and won't lose any $$ if they don't work out for you.

I tend to walk/hike with my feet pointed slightly outward and with the narrow tail (back or heel) they work better for me than the MSR's did. The binding is secured through both the decking material and a resilient neoprene band. That attachment to the decking is what makes the shoe springy. And a little bonus tidbit, they are made in the USA.

Again. your stride has a lot to do with what shoe will fit you best. The terrain and intended use matter as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ben