Pls recommend 4-season 1 person tent

RanchLady

backpacking in rain, windy, freezing weather
Looking for a solid tent, < 4lb
Thinking MSR Access 1, also would like to know other options.
Could you guys (experts) recommend a good one?

Big Agnes UL tents are pretty sweet......I have a 1, 2 and 4 person. Not 4 season tents but I have been in some serious wind, rain and snow storms and they have all handled it well.

My recommendation is the Tarptent Double Rainbow. Aside from having to seam seal it yourself, it is bulletproof.

Thank you, everyone, for your valuable input. I thoroughly read the discussion highlighted by Bill, and it provided invaluable insights.

As I already own the Zpacks Duplex, which has proven itself in most situations, I'm currently on the lookout for a tent that can better handle cold, windy, and rainy weather.

Docgumz, the Tarptent Double Rainbow seems 3-season tent with an attractive price point. However, I'm curious about its warmth and suitability for windy conditions.

I did some homework, compared the Hilleberg Akto and the Tarptent Scarp 1.
While the Tarptent Scarp 1 fits my requirements well, but Tarptent Scarp 1 Ultra seems to shine with its lightweight design, durable Ultra 100 material, and the capacity to accommodate two people. I would greatly appreciate any additional insights or experiences you might have with this tent.

You might find some info on Backpacking Light & Adventure Alan sites.

My recommendation is the Tarptent Double Rainbow. Aside from having to seam seal it yourself, it is bulletproof.
Not 4 season.... I had the original Rainbow for many years. Cross wind, it will go flat unless you modify some tie points. Lengthwise you need a middle tie point. Liked the tent tho. Using a Tarpetent Bowfin now, only made them for a couple of years. Thought about the Moment. Warmth? its a tent. I cant justify a tent much over $300

Last edited:
compared the Hilleberg Akto and the Tarptent Scarp 1.
Not sure I'd like the extra weight with a solid inner wall except for winter camping on shorter backpacks. Looked at the specs - great quality, expensive and too low a peak height and narrow for my liking. Coming from a ZPacks Duplex you might want to check fit as these look tighter. But, if prevailing conditions warrant these seem "solid" choices. I'm considering bringing a lightweight tarp to string over a mesh-inner wall tent for short winter backpacks.

Big Agnes UL tents are pretty sweet
Yep, those Copper Spur HV UL 1p tents have great reputation as secure, UL freestanding 3-seasons - just pricey and limited peak height vs others. Looking at the Durston X-Mid 1p as possible replacement to my old SMD Trekker but everything has compromises. I like mesh walls on at least 3 sides as not a fan of dealing with condensation with single walls but YMMV.

Not sure I'd like the extra weight with a solid inner wall except for winter camping on shorter backpacks. Looked at the specs - great quality, expensive and too low a peak height and narrow for my liking. Coming from a ZPacks Duplex you might want to check fit as these look tighter. But, if prevailing conditions warrant these seem "solid" choices. I'm considering bringing a lightweight tarp to string over a mesh-inner wall tent for short winter backpacks.
Actually, I thought about it, was going to search if someone did it. Thank you!

Here's a late shout out for the TarpTent Moment. I've had one for about 8 years. It's not a 4 season, but has handled 4 season weather. The arch has stood up to some pretty nasty wind storms. My buddy Peter uses the TT Notch. I'm not a fan of the UL trekking pole design. It's nowhere near as stable. The Moment has two large vestibules and lots of space for gear. I've had to spend many 15 hour stretches in there waiting out weather and kept my sanity. TT seems to have fixed my only complaint: that the outer walls don't get close enough to the ground so heat escapes. The newest version on their website doesn't seem to have that problem. I'm a big fan of the Moment. Here it is in The Winds in 2018.

Screenshot 2024-01-26 at 10.44.49 PM.png

Here's a late shout out for the TarpTent Moment. I've had one for about 8 years. It's not a 4 season, but has handled 4 season weather. The arch has stood up to some pretty nasty wind storms. My buddy Peter uses the TT Notch. I'm not a fan of the UL trekking pole design. It's nowhere near as stable. The Moment has two large vestibules and lots of space for gear. I've had to spend many 15 hour stretches in there waiting out weather and kept my sanity. TT seems to have fixed my only complaint: that the outer walls don't get close enough to the ground so heat escapes. The newest version on their website doesn't seem to have that problem. I'm a big fan of the Moment. Here it is in The Winds in 2018.

View attachment 129035
You can add additional guy lines and another hoop...... pretty close to a four season. I'm looking to buy the Moment for this year. Had a Rainbow, Bowfin before...wore them both out over the last 24 years

I have recommended this before, but if looking at the stars is not a priority, the Bibler (now owned by Black Diamond) I-Tent is absolutely bomber. It is under 5lbs, 4 season, single wall, 2 pole and freestanding. I have been in 60+ mph winds, never hand to hold onto it, never leaked. And you can set it up on the inside in the rain, thus avoiding getting soaked, mostly. I owned one for over 20 years. It was part of the family.

_DSC3199 (1).jpg

Reactions: Bob
I have recommended this before, but if looking at the stars is not a priority, the Bibler (now owned by Black Diamond) I-Tent is absolutely bomber. It is under 5lbs, 4 season, single wall, 2 pole and freestanding. I have been in 60+ mph winds, never hand to hold onto it, never leaked. And you can set it up on the inside in the rain, thus avoiding getting soaked, mostly. I owned one for over 20 years. It was part of the family.

View attachment 129049
Good tent but weighs a ton .

Good tent but weighs a ton .
It weighs a hair over 4.5 lbs. Before the zippers went south I was going to buy a pair of carbon fiber poles, which would have put it at 4lbs. Not really UL I guess.
I have been looking at the Tarptent Double Rainbow DW, not 4 season, but it looks like a good sturdy tent for 2.5 lbs. Pricey though.

Last edited:
Don't think the dw is worth the $ for the small weight difference. I used the original rainbow for 19 years.