Now entering the ring... (sleeping pads)

My wife bought the Big Anges Q-Core SL last year and couldn't stand the it. She kept sliding off the pad. Even on nearly flat surfaces she would still end up half way off the pad. She returned it and bought a NeoAir All-Season and has had no problems sliding off. The Big Anges Q-Core pad is more comfortable than the NeoAir, but that only works if you can actually stay on the pad :rolleyes:.

Yeah, I could see that if you use a regular sleeping bag. I either use a big agnes sleep system bag or a quilt, which really helps you to stay on the pad (with the quilt there is no nylon under you to make you slide everywhere).

What makes the q-core so easy to slide off? Lack of grooves? Material?

I would say it is a combination of the lack of grooves from the quilted design and the material. The pad is 3.5" thick, but they made the sides beams 4" so that helps a little bit. I think that it also helps if you under inflate it as well, that way you sink into the pad and it holds you in place. But I don't know, I love it and would recommend it, as I can honestly say I sleep like a baby in the back country with it. Just personal preference I guess.

Digging up an old thread. Sorry.

My Big Agnes insulated air core developed a leak on my last trip, although I've never used it on rough ground or even outside of a tent. I was left sleeping on hard ground with temperatures in the low 20s. No fun. I know I can have them repair it or send me a new one for free, but I'm aware that the slow leak on this type of pad is pretty common, and I'd rather just avoid a repeat experience altogether.

The NeoAir All Season has really caught my eye. For anyone who has it and has used it for a while, did it ever develop any leaks without you using it on rough surfaces?

This is the one I bought on sale with my dividend this year: https://www.rei.com/product/845300/rei-flash-insulated-air-sleeping-pad

rei-flash.jpg

This is the one I want http://www.exped.com/usa/en/product-category/mats/synmat-hyperlite-m

I'm a big fan of Exped air pads. Others make good pads, but I find the quality and durability of the Exped products to be top notch.

I've had terrible experiences with Big Agnes Air Pads. They leak quickly, and are not durable in my opinion. I've had more than 4 go bad on me.

But also remember there are different variables to all of this. My experiences might be just dumb luck. And I tend to be hard on gear.

I'm a big fan of Exped air pads. Others make good pads, but I find the quality and durability of the Exped products to be top notch.

I've had terrible experiences with Big Agnes Air Pads. They leak quickly, and are not durable in my opinion. I've had more than 4 go bad on me.

But also remember there are different variables to all of this. My experiences might be just dumb luck. And I tend to be hard on gear.

I am on my third big agnes air pad. When they don't leak I love them, but I if this one goes I think I will just fork out the difference for the exped. From all the reviews I have read a lot of people that like the big agnes, just not how quickly it starts leaking ,end up switching to exped.

The Big Agnes product works pretty well when used for it's intended purpose. It is made for use in their sleep systems where you place the pad in a sleeve on the bottom of the Big Agnes bag you are using. I have had terrible time sliding off my pad when just putting a bag on top. I believe the horizontal baffles make this worse. I think that the valve on the Big Agnes pads is great and I am seeing more of this type in other brands. It is a two chamber flat valve. Air mattress for backpacking benefit from multiple overlaying of the air chambers for better comfort, less bouncing, and air integrity if done correctly. Make sure you get a pad with the correct R value for the season you are in. Warmer pads are marginally higher in weight then Summer pads. Remember that expensive, ultra light, pads will puncture as a matter of course and especially so in desert environments unless you are very careful. If you go out to the spiny areas of Utah, NM, etc., your pad WILL puncture.

When in the store, do the hip test. Lay down on a bag and roll to your side. If your hip bottoms out it is a no go. In terms of weight, the pad is not a great place to save weight. Comfort should your first priority, followed by longevity. You need your sleep so schleping a few more ounces will not hurt. Luckily these days the pads tend to get more comfortable and lighter at the same time as they decrease in weight.

In terms of specific brands, I like the Big Agnes when used as part of the sleep system. I do not like Klymit. The valve is sticky and I bottom out on the hip test.

Finally the ultimate pad, if you can use it, is a Thermarest Solar closed cell foam pad. It's bulky, but light, warm, takes lots of abuse, can be used for lounging, is puncture proof, but is not very comfortable for a geezer like me. If you can hack it, that's the one to get.

I slept for many years on a 1/2 inch piece of closed cell blue foam. My wife was always trying something new, and usually in combination with at least one other pad--the best combination was a Thermarest Z-rest mattress over 1/2 of foam pad.

But then one year for her birthday, I bought her a Thermarest Neo-Air mattress--the modern version of that old inflatable plastic thing that we used as scouts. It was a revelation, and she was in heaven. That was about five years ago.

I remained unconvinced. "Goldurn fancypants foolishness" or something like that, was what I could be heard to mutter under my breath.

Until, that is, one day when I accepted her offer to borrow her Neo-Air to take a nap in the afternoon. Holy Mackerel was that nice! I quickly bought one for myself. One order of fancypants foolishness to go, and make it snappy!

They are relatively light (about 12 ounces, all in) and inflate to a VERY comfortable 2 inches or more. Of luxury. All part of our home away from home.

So we used these pads for about five years, and were pretty darn happy with them. Over time they began to leak and flatten out over the course of a night. And after living with them for a couple of years that way, re-inflating them in the middle of the night, we finally contacted Neo-Air about getting them fixed.

Very simple process, and they made it easy. We sent them our mattresses, and they promised to fix them for very little money indeed--all in the course of a promised 4-6 week turnaround. Can't beat that.

Well, you can beat that.

Because about two weeks later, instead of fixing all of the leaks in our older model mattresses, they sent us brand new ones that don't leak.

We're sold. Again. We can hardly wait to sleep on them. Again.

Digging up an old thread. Sorry.

My Big Agnes insulated air core developed a leak on my last trip, although I've never used it on rough ground or even outside of a tent. I was left sleeping on hard ground with temperatures in the low 20s. No fun. I know I can have them repair it or send me a new one for free, but I'm aware that the slow leak on this type of pad is pretty common, and I'd rather just avoid a repeat experience altogether.

The NeoAir All Season has really caught my eye. For anyone who has it and has used it for a while, did it ever develop any leaks without you using it on rough surfaces?

I finally got a leak in my all season and I bought another. I was extremely hard on it and was surprised it lasted as long as it did. I think I might have hit it on a screw on my boat. I like Big Agnes but leaks seemed to happen regularly and frequently with their pads. I'm still a big fan of the NeoAir line.

Does anyone else take 2 pads? I often carry a full length Z Rest (now Z Lite I guess) and a thin, torso-length inflatable. The result is quite comfortable and I get some insurance against a puncture. On the other hand the total weight is probably not great and the closed cell pad is bulky.

One time I took a Z Rest on an extended trip and had no problems with it after the first couple of days. First night with a pad like that is rough. I usually put my pack and other gear under the pad, that seemed to make a big difference. I don't bother with that sort of technique on short trips and rather carry the second pad.

I loved how comfortable Big Agnes insulated aircore pads were, but damn they would spring a leak way too easy.

Bought a Thermarest Xlite, and a Xtherm. Bought the Xtherm for my wife, but I use it more. Mostly just like the non slip coating on it. It also has far less crinkle than the Xlite. Almost two years into both, with a LOT of nights on both, not a single problem yet.

I honestly miss the comfort of the Big Agnes pads, they were just a bit more comfy. The small trade off for the Thermarests have been totally worth it.

I have the Klymit static V insulated sleeping pad and my girlfriend has the REI Flash sleeping pad. Being on a college student budget, I was able to get the Klymit pad for $65 on amazon. This was the main reason I went for this pad. Its a bit heavy at 25 oz but has a good R-value at 4.4. The conform is OK, not great. I am 6'4" 215 and a side sleeper and I don't bottom out on this pad. Gets the job done but I'm sure it could be better. All in all I think it was a great buy for the price.
https://www.rei.com/product/866835/klymit-insulated-static-v-sleeping-pad

My girlfriend is not a big fan of her REI flash sleeping pad. She is comfortable on it but complains that she always falls off in the night because it is so narrow. We are always experimenting with ways to keep her on but no luck so far. For $99 and weighing 16oz with an R-value of 3.2 you are probably better off going for the top-of-the-line Thermarest air pad. She is hesitant to return the air pad because if you return a sleeping bag or pad to REI they are required to burn it and cannot re-sell it because it is a sleeping system. Is this the case in other states or is this just a California thing? I wouldn't doubt if its just another stupid California rule.
https://www.rei.com/product/845300/rei-flash-insulated-air-sleeping-pad

She is hesitant to return the air pad because if you return a sleeping bag or pad to REI they are required to burn it and cannot re-sell it because it is a sleeping system. Is this the case in other states or is this just a California thing? I wouldn't doubt if its just another stupid California rule.

Well that is news to me. I guess I haven't been to one of the REI Yard Sales in a while but a few years ago we picked up a bunch of sleeping bags and pads at an REI Yard Sale in Boise. We were able to stock up a bunch of family members at a great price doing this.

I have the Klymit static V insulated sleeping pad and my girlfriend has the REI Flash sleeping pad. Being on a college student budget, I was able to get the Klymit pad for $65 on amazon. This was the main reason I went for this pad. Its a bit heavy at 25 oz but has a good R-value at 4.4. The conform is OK, not great. I am 6'4" 215 and a side sleeper and I don't bottom out on this pad. Gets the job done but I'm sure it could be better. All in all I think it was a great buy for the price.
https://www.rei.com/product/866835/klymit-insulated-static-v-sleeping-pad

My girlfriend is not a big fan of her REI flash sleeping pad. She is comfortable on it but complains that she always falls off in the night because it is so narrow. We are always experimenting with ways to keep her on but no luck so far. For $99 and weighing 16oz with an R-value of 3.2 you are probably better off going for the top-of-the-line Thermarest air pad. She is hesitant to return the air pad because if you return a sleeping bag or pad to REI they are required to burn it and cannot re-sell it because it is a sleeping system. Is this the case in other states or is this just a California thing? I wouldn't doubt if its just another stupid California rule.

Mail the item or items to REI Returns, address online at Returns. You will get a check in the mail.
I just did it with a pair of shoes.
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What makes the q-core so easy to slide off? Lack of grooves? Material?
The thing is really slick. Add to that most of the campsites I find are not level and it doesn't make much for the slide to start The thing has pretty high profile as well. Gotta put it in a Big Agnes sleeve to keep from sliding.

Agreed with Dan that the Xtherm is easily the best all-arounder as far as the inflatables go. It's pricy but from a durability/weight/warmth/versatility/usability standpoint nothing else is close. We had Exped pads for a couple years and they're a total pain, at least in the desert. Lots of pinholes and the valves are overcomplicated and don't always work.