Now entering the ring... (sleeping pads)

Agreed with Dan that the Xtherm is easily the best all-arounder as far as the inflatables go. It's pricy but from a durability/weight/warmth/versatility/usability standpoint nothing else is close. We had Exped pads for a couple years and they're a total pain, at least in the desert. Lots of pinholes and the valves are overcomplicated and don't always work.

So, you've used all the different types of pads out there, for multiple (20 plus) nights each, and can say for sure it's better than everything, and nothing else is close?

As someone who has spent more than 300 nights backcountry in the desert over the last 6 or 7 years (backcountry, not frontcountry), not to mention all the nights I've spent during the summers in the mountains, I completely disagree with you, and swear upon my experiences, that Exped is one of the best air pad companies out there. And i'm really hard on gear.

They are most definitely not a total pain. You sound like spam. While I certainly find it plausible you've had a bad experience with Exped, I've found my experience's to be overwhelmingly the opposite of what you said in your post.

And if this where Vegas, I'd bet on Exped every single time over Thermarest.

The Big Agnes product works pretty well when used for it's intended purpose
Nonsense. They are selling air pads. And nowhere on that airpad does it say anything close to what you said in your post. It is most definitely not marketed that way.

Big Agnes air pads pop easily. A lot of us that actually spend time out in the wilderness backpacking will tell you that.

All I want to do is backpack. I just want my gear to do what it is suppose to do. I'll pay good money for that. Just work!
Big Agnes air pads don't do that. I swear on that.

Enjoy your time.

I as well have a big agnes and use it all the time. Works well. I had a thermarest and didn't like it but have had the q core for 4 years with zero problems. So I guess when it boils down to it its just a preference thing.

So, you've used all the different types of pads out there, for multiple (20 plus) nights each, and can say for sure it's better than everything, and nothing else is close?

As someone who has spent more than 300 nights backcountry in the desert over the last 6 or 7 years (backcountry, not frontcountry), not to mention all the nights I've spent during the summers in the mountains, I completely disagree with you, and swear upon my experiences, that Exped is one of the best air pad companies out there. And i'm really hard on gear.

They are most definitely not a total pain. You sound like spam. While I certainly find it plausible you've had a bad experience with Exped, I've found my experience's to be overwhelmingly the opposite of what you said in your post.

And if this where Vegas, I'd bet on Exped every single time over Thermarest.
Well, not to get into a pissing match, but here's my (more specific) experience. Two Exped Synmat 7 ULs, both were replaced by warranty for faulty valves, several larger holes patched on the bottom and many pinholes in the top (one of them had 12 holes in the top at one time when I put in into the bath). All four pads had the pinhole issue on the tops. My use was 95% southern utah (also quite backcountry), which I think must be worse on the valves? Any tiny bit of sand would lead to leaks. Also had an Exped pillow with a broken valve and leaks (same fabric). I'd imagine the mats that aren't the 20d material don't have as bad of problem with holes. I rarely had an issue-free trip.

It's very possible that the valves have been tweaked since then.

Thermarest experience: two xtherms for about 3 years with zero leaks or any valve issues (I'll say on average 5 nights a month year round over that time for me, probably half that for my wife's pad). I also have a prolite xs that i use as my pad and packraft seat for trips I take my boat. I've had that one for probably 6 years with one small hole on the bottom that I had to repair from a cactus spine, with no valve issues (same valve as xtherm). Checked out the original neoair when they first came out and didn't like the noise and the bottom fabric wasn't reassuring.

I have zero brand loyalty and would happily buy an exped if it fit what I needed. I don't doubt that some of the Expeds are probably great, but the Xtherm gives me an ounce lighter pad for the size with crazy R value (5.7 vs 3.3), more durable bottom (70d vs 20d), and in my experience a more reliable valve. If you aren't as concerned with weight then some of the burlier fabrics on the expeds are probably fine, and maybe they've fixed the valves. I don't doubt your positive experience a bit.

edit: I'll also agree that saying 'easily the best available' was a silly statement. Apologies.

Last edited:
Here's an update on my pad situation if anyone cares.

BA is replacing mine under warranty. Sending me a newer model called the insulated air core ultra. This one has a different type of valve, so hopefully that means they've eliminated the very common leaking issues. Or maybe they haven't and they have to do with the material. We'll soon see.

I may end up getting a Neoair or one of those fancy Sea to Summit ones if this one is no good.

Thanks to everyone for all the input.

Last edited: