Noobs: Introduce Yourself!

Hello, I'm Charles Wood...call me Charlie. I'm retired from prior careers in television broadcasting and consumer electronics manufacturing. About 25 years ago I rekindled my interest in landscape photography and since 2004 my wife and I have operated a gallery in the Coyote Gulch Art Village in Ivins, Utah, outside of St. George. My website is www.cdwood.zenfolio.com. I've spent a lot of time backpacking and photographing southern Utah and have much left to see. I'm always up for a hike.

Great photos on your site, Charlie. Looking forward to seeing more!

Just wanted to stop by & say hi.... Love the site! Great beta on a lot of hikes I've done & even more I'd like to do.

Planning a 9 day trip to Capitol Reef & Escalante in October, can't wait to get back.
Hiking the Grand Canyon to Phantom Ranch this coming Wednesday.

Hi,
Great site and great pictures.
I live in Ogden and don't get into the backcountry nearly as much as I'd like. So I haven't been to as many places or as deep into the backcountry as others. But I get out when I can and have been to some pretty great places. While some of them aren't triple-secret, I am amazed how many times I go places and don't see another person or even another sign of a person for days. Most of my camping/hiking is with my family (wife and 7 year old daughter). So I plan our adventures around what my daughter can do. I have been generally happy that we are always able to find spectacular places given our constraints.
Some of my favorite trips over the last few years have been:
1. The Harvest Scene camping at The Maze Overlook (pre kid)
2. All American Man from the south TH, out and back (guys trip)
3. Procession Panel (with kid 6 at the time)
4. Upper Muley Canyon to the top of Waterpocket Fold (kid 5 at the time)
5. Broken Arrow Arch (kid 5 at the time)
6. Target Ruin
7. Various trips in the Uintas
8. Once in the Wind Rivers
Among a few others.
I enjoy reading about places that I wish I had time to visit and planning hypothetical trips. I really have never been to Cedar Mesa proper so I am thinking about that. But your guys' pictures keep giving me more ideas for more places. My wife just saw the hamburger rocks pictures and that looks like a good family day hike.
I look forward to contributing.P1000647.JPG

Hello my name is Kraig, i am new to backcountry post and thanks for having me. I love being camping and fly fishing and it only gets better if my family is with me.

Hi,

I've been using this site for the past 2 years and have used it to help plan my forays into southern Utah. I figured it was time to join and start contributing.

My goal is to get 3-4 backpacking and/or photography trips in every year. Using this site to help me plan, over the past two years I've experienced the following:

1) Paria backpacking trip from Whitehouse TH to Lee's Ferry with my wife Anne and dog Molly. I last hiked Paria in 1972 with my father and oldest brother (avatar pic from that hike.) Note the lightweight pack and gear. Camp Trails canvas backpack, huge sleeping bag, metal canteens, "Vietnam boots".... My how things have changed...thankfully. It was an amazing and cathartic experience
2) South Coyote Buttes, White Pockets, Cottonwood Cove (fascinating!) and Wahweap Hoodoo's on photography trips (I think i need to spend a few days here during the monsoons or early winter instead of in and out trips in April/October)
3) Solo pre hike to Coyote Buttes South followed 2 weeks later by hike with my wife and friend. Nick, your May 2010 trip report was my guide. We followed your overland route and loved it. The hike up the dune was the highlight, but the hike from the Crack-in-the-Rock to 40 Mile Ridge TH was a sand slog. I'll be back
4) Cobra Arch overnight trip w/Anne and Molly. There are many photo ops in the area that will soon bring me back
5) Aravaipa Canyon Wilderness via west entrance. Beautiful water hike through somewhat narrow, twisting canyon, over 200 species of birds, big horn sheep and I noticed fresh bear and mountain lion tracks.

What's next? Anne and I are planning on hiking BMT, Death Hollow, Escalante May 6-8. I've reviewed several of Nick's trip reports as well as others on the web. It sounds like a wonderful hike. My wife is a trooper, great shape, loves the workout that comes with backpacking, but prefers to minimize her exposure to steep ascents and descents. I'd really appreciate someones assessment of the final descent into Death Hollow that has traveled this route with others who may share Anne's apprehension.

Thanks in advance,

Brian

Hi,
I'd really appreciate someones assessment of the final descent into Death Hollow that has traveled this route with others who may share Anne's apprehension.

Brian ,
When it comes to apprehension I'm your girl! I am Nick's wife and I do not like exposure.

Truth, there is exposure on the descent. However I found it manageable even with my pack on (there have been instances in the past where I drop my pack and demand that Nick shuttle it because I am frightened of the "unstable" feeling it gives me). The trail is wide enough and on very stable sandstone so the descent while being uncomfortable for a short distance was not unreasonable. The trail also does some switchbacks so it isn't so steep. I do prefer trekking poles on descents and it's practically a requirement on the rest of this trip because of all the walking in-stream required.

Audra,

Thanks for your quick and detailed response. Anne, and I, now feel more at ease heading into next weeks hike.

Brian

Hello Backcountrypost!

I've always loved Nick's photos, but thought myself too lazy to get into the outdoors myself. In March, my husband and I took a trip to St. George and took a drive through Zion's on a whim. I can't really explain how at peace I felt to be in such a beautiful place. I won't go into too much detail for fear of sounding super cheesy - but I was so disappointed that I wasn't prepared to hike. We just took another trip down to Bryce's Canyon and did the auto tour the first day and went on a hike through the Navajo and Queen's Garden Loop the second day. It was hard (for a novice hiker like myself), but one of the most rewarding experiences I have ever had. We live in such a majestic state and I'm here to learn more from you experts as I begin my new adventures in the outdoors!

I can't wait to get to know you and maybe be brave enough to post some Trail Guides or Trip Reports of my own someday!

Lina

Hello Backcountrypost!

I've always loved Nick's photos, but thought myself too lazy to get into the outdoors myself. In March, my husband and I took a trip to St. George and took a drive through Zion's on a whim. I can't really explain how at peace I felt to be in such a beautiful place. I won't go into too much detail for fear of sounding super cheesy - but I was so disappointed that I wasn't prepared to hike. We just took another trip down to Bryce's Canyon and did the auto tour the first day and went on a hike through the Navajo and Queen's Garden Loop the second day. It was hard (for a novice hiker like myself), but one of the most rewarding experiences I have ever had. We live in such a majestic state and I'm here to learn more from you experts as I begin my new adventures in the outdoors!

I can't wait to get to know you and maybe be brave enough to post some Trail Guides or Trip Reports of my own someday!

Lina

Nice! Welcome, Lina!

Long time listener, first time caller. This is a great resource, found it while daydreaming at work about where I want to go a year from now when I take my desert sabbatical next May. I call Kentucky home, but my 2nd home is southern Utah.
I've killed way to many hours on this site, fortunately I work for a company that gets mostly big government projects so our tax dollars are definitely going to good use :)
Lived in Grand Junction years ago, and spent a summer working at the Hells Backbone Grill in Boulder so I've explored a lot of the region, but feel like I've barely scratched the surface. Favorites are Death Hollow, Boulder Creek and the White Canyon Complex. I want to see some different areas next year...Bowdie, Fable, Dark Canyon...and some of the canyons further down Hole in the Rock Rd have been on my mind Like Fifty mile and Davis, have yet to visit those. Now I know where to get the scoop! I think I'll hang around...

Welcome, BJett! Just got back from a trip and am stoked to check out those trip reports you posted up. I just did Fiftymile last weekend and will be posting a trip report soon. What a canyon!

Greetings all, long time camper/backpacker here. I recently discovered this site while looking for some new food ideas to take my 4 year old on her first trip. I am loving the content so far, keep up the good work all.

I am a retired teacher with some experience in and around Capitol Reef and Cedar Mesa. Hiked the Grand Gulch a couple of years ago, going in Bullet and coming out by accident via Todie which was quite and experience. Looking for new experiences and new wonders....so far I love this site. Not too sure how to search or actually how to use it, but I will figure it out.

I am a retired teacher with some experience in and around Capitol Reef and Cedar Mesa. Hiked the Grand Gulch a couple of years ago, going in Bullet and coming out by accident via Todie which was quite and experience. Looking for new experiences and new wonders....so far I love this site. Not too sure how to search or actually how to use it, but I will figure it out.

Welcome to Backcountrypost, Kath.

Lots of helpful posts on using the site in the support forum:

http://backcountrypost.com/forum/forums/questions-suggestions-support.14/

Feel free to post your own questions there as you have them, or shoot me a private message. Good to have you!

Hello all. I'm new here but not to backpacking. I love the site.

Hey guys I'm Ben and new to the site. I found this place while doing a little research on smaller packs. I used to backpack in high school with friends, but since then I became wrapped up in the career thing and told myself I didn't have any time. Decided to be spontaneous last year and ended up spending about 10 days hiking around Mount Rainier. I forgot how amazing and re-energizing the wilderness can be! I live in Columbus, Ohio, which isn't exactly known for its scenery, but there are some amazing places a few hours from here I am itching to explore. I am excited about getting back into the wild and chatting with you knowledgable folks here!

Hey fellow Noobs and non-boobs, I'm Jordan! Been a lurker for some time and thought I would say hello finally and start contributing. I've been a photojournalist and editor for a number of years mostly contributing to automotive magazines. I also have a small website I like to share things I like and reviews on at www.agentlemansword.com. I am an avid mountain biker and hiker and hopefully I can start sharing some of my adventures here! Cheers! Jordan

Hello all, my name is Gene. I moved up to Park City w/ my wife last August (2012) from Buffalo, NY. I work at a Honda dealership in SLC. I'm 31, no kids, 2 dogs. Most recently I've gotten into mountain biking (what better place, right?) I grew up camping all over the Adirondacks. Im into hiking, backpacking and snowboarding as well. The wife enjoys mild hiking and camping(anywhere that has a bathroom though) so I would like to meet some people that are experienced in backpacking/biking/hiking here in UT so I can get out more, don't have many friends here yet! I want to work Kings Peak in my summer plans, may as well bag the highest peak while I'm here.