Noobs: Introduce Yourself!

Great to be here! Nick, I am grateful for people like you! Thanks for sharing your passion of exploring with us.

For me, I am an outdoor education professional moving into the field of healthcare. I am mainly a sea kayaker but I like to exercise my legs every so often. Staying inside now and all couped up with sick patients makes me want to head out even more and explore where I live, which is now California (but I love Utah!!!). I did a drive through Escalante in 2004 and am planning to return there and explore some canyons this year thanks to Nick's advice.

Hi all! After extensively browsing all of the great trip planning threads and looking through the great photos for a couple of weeks I decided to sign up :). Stacey from Michigan by the way...I was directed here by someone on Flickr and I'm glad I took the advice to visit the site!

Hi, found your forum today. Loved it at the first sight!!!.

Born and raised in Iran. Reborn and changed in Canada(since 2007).
Hiking/ kayaking/ Photography/ climbing/ Fishing has been part of my life since childhood. An avid ex-hunter who has turned to wildlife watcher since moving to Canada. No problem with hunters but I am not a hunter anymore. Fishing is still in my blood though. Short term Rock climbing has been in my resume and loved it. Now I am more a long trail hiker than anything else.

Hello everyone!

I actually signed up for an account a couple of months ago, but never really took the time to post something here. I have been backpacking for a few years now, with many of my trips (mainly in the Uintas) being planned due to Nicks great photography, so thank you! I am currently attending school up at the University of Utah, and I will hopefully be getting my 2 bachelors in Biology/Psychology and minor in Chemistry in about two more semesters... So the outdoors has definitely been my way of escaping reality! I am hoping to start getting into photography a little bit more as well, so I figure this is a great place to do it. Anyways, thanks to everyone for posting all of your awesome trip reports/photos, as it allows me to day dream on a daily basis about good weather and hiking during this miserable time of the year in Utah!

Hi, I'm Jason. I love to do anything outdoors, especially backpacking. Looking for some like-minded people to have some adventures with.

Thought i would drop in on Nick, which makes a good story of our meeting, does it not Nick? Thanks for the help on the new Canyons Collective site. I will look to offer what I can here. Lovely site.
Ram

Welcome, ram! Very happy to have you. And yes, that was a fine way to meet! For those wondering, several years back I was out backpacking on the second day of a 3 day trip. We hadn't seen a soul in 24+ hours when all the sudden we hear a whistle but we couldn't see anyone. A few minutes later a rope bag came whizzing down just outside the alcove we were camped in and Ram came sliding off the edge, 180 feet above us. It freaked the dogs out like nothing else to see this all black figure come out of the sky! Never forget that one!

IMG_6213.jpg

Hey,

I'm planning on an hike of the Oregon section of the Pacific Coast Trail in summer of 2014. It's a ways out, but that gives me time to plan, get time off work, and buy equipment I still need. Hoping this group can offer advice, ideas, stories... encouragement. Maybe I'll run into one if you in the adventure...

cheers!

Bob

Ran accross a great trip report on here about the Death Hollow hike in Boulder Utah, been reading it and using it to recruit people to go with me this memorial. I did half of it in May of 09, going back with 3 people this memorial day to complete it. I am a big outdoorsman, collect firearms, target shoot, camp, hike, backpack, canoe. Love it. Really pumped about going back to Utah.....Will open a thread about the Death hollow trip here soon, have some questions for those on here who have done it.....

Hey, new here too, acidently started my own post....Ha, so.....I guess you can read it? Sorry! Nice to be here though!

Hi, everyone! A new backpacker and new to this site. Found this site last night while researching a weekend trip in the Unitas. Just moved to Utah from Georgia a year ago and want to take advantage of all the wonderful things this state has to offer!

I just found the site, and just signed up. I've been backpacking for 45 years, and the past few years that been mostly with my son's scout troop. I live in Boise, but our 50 milers have been in the Winds, part of the JMT, and the Uintas this July. Also lots of trips in the Sawtooths, of course. My blog about outdoor stuff is at http://backpackingtechnology.com/

HI there,
My name is Kirby and I'm a Californian. I hope that doesn't make me a bunch of enemies.
I'm a high sierra backpacker but looking to expand my range into the amazing canyons of Utah. I've done a 2 night trip in Canyonlands when I qs in my twenties and single. It was amazing, except for the having to carry all our water part.
Now, I'm a mom to two kids and a couple pooches. We've packed a couple times a year together since my twins were 7 years old. (They're 11 now.)
We're planning a trip at the end of March/beginning of April to the Escalante area.
I'm reading Nick's trip reports avidly. We're trying to find a few day hikes and a 2-3 night trip for the whole crew.
I'll read some more before I ask for too much help!
Glad to have found backcountrypost.
Cheers,
kirby

Been checking out the reports this week and really appreciate the great information this site has. Like Kirby, I'm also heading to Escalante during the first week of April and looking at some day hikes.

I understand the spring weather is unpredictable, but assuming it's not rainy (and other than the occasional permanent pothole, like the one entering Peekaboo), are Peekaboo and Spooky fairly dry that time of year or should we pack our mud shoes?

Thank you so much to all the contributors; there is a wealth of information here.