Noobs: Introduce Yourself!

Hey, introduced to this site by uintahiker. Nice alternative to the other utah-centric board. I know enough about most outdoor activities to make me dangerous (mostly to myself). I enjoy hiking, backpacking, fairly new into climbing and canyoneering and with the kids, car camping/exploring.

Hey, introduced to this site by uintahiker. Nice alternative to the other utah-centric board. I know enough about most outdoor activities to make me dangerous (mostly to myself). I enjoy hiking, backpacking, fairly new into climbing and canyoneering and with the kids, car camping/exploring.
Welcome aboard! We'll have to get out & do some more dangerous outdoor activities!

Hey everyone,

I"m Brutus from Kanab, currently an outdoor rec. student at Southern Utah University. The Avatar pic there is my wife and I in the Subway. We try to be outside all the time doing our favorite activity, canyoneering.
I am a guide for a company in Kanab. I also lead canyoneering trips for SUU students. I'm also the Outside page editor at the University Journal.
We also get out climbing on a regular basis. Backpacking and camping are a great time, all year round. I try to do anything new outdoors; Slacklines, horse riding, ATVs etc.
Thats a bit about me!

Kerk from Orem. Yes, Kerk with an "e"; I blame my parents. I don't get outdoors nearly as much as I would like, but when I do I spend time in the San Rafael Swell or down near Escalante. I enjoy hiking, backpacking, camping. Too fat for rock climbing or canyoneering. Got trained in rappelling a few years back, despite a deep (and rational) fear of heights. I like taking and postprocessing photos, but I'm not going to make a living at it anytime soon. I'm a big fan of Utah's rock art.

Most recent trip was through the Chute of Muddy Creek last Saturday with three of my BYU students. Would love to do Baptist Draw sometime, maybe next April if the weather is good during Alpine School District Spring Break. Lower Black Box on the San Rafael and Buckskin/Paria are high on the bucket list too.

Here's one of my favorite photos. Cliff House Arch on the Escalante River.

Escalante%2016%202008.JPG

Read through a topic regarding solo backpacking in the Uintas and knew I had to join! It seems many people are in the same dilemma of trying to find a partner to hike or backpack, only to find you will grow old waiting and never make your trip. I'm very new to the Uintas, and am looking forward to experiencing these breathtaking mountains and lakes. I'm reacquainting myself with the mountains after a 30 year lapse, though I am a bit slower now than when I was a kid. Age seems to have a few advantages though, in recognizing one's limitations, and preventing foolish errors in the outdoors.

Thought I'd introduce myself too. Have already "met" Bill and Nick-thanks for all the helpful info on Utah hikes! I live in San Diego but escape to Southern Utah whenever I can. I used to do half ironman triathlons before chronic injuries and long workdays forced me out of it, now I'm obsessed with photography and there's no better place to do it than in Utah. Looking forward to exchanging info with people and finding some (more) awesome places to hike and photograph!

Read through a topic regarding solo backpacking in the Uintas and knew I had to join! It seems many people are in the same dilemma of trying to find a partner to hike or backpack, only to find you will grow old waiting and never make your trip. I'm very new to the Uintas, and am looking forward to experiencing these breathtaking mountains and lakes. I'm reacquainting myself with the mountains after a 30 year lapse, though I am a bit slower now than when I was a kid. Age seems to have a few advantages though, in recognizing one's limitations, and preventing foolish errors in the outdoors.

You never read about anyone over 50 getting stuck in a canyon and cutting off their arm, do you? ;)

You never read about anyone over 50 getting stuck in a canyon and cutting off their arm, do you? ;)

Is that the Ralston story? (I didn't think he was that old.) Of course that is one disadvantage of going out alone.

Is that the Ralston story? (I didn't think he was that old.) Of course that is one disadvantage of going out alone.

He was 26 at the time. What I meant is someone over 50 would never have been foolish enough to get in that situation in the first place, they'd have told someone where they were going! I hike alone all the time-I send a text before I leave with my itinerary and text everyone when I get back. Then again, I'm over 40. :)

Hey everyone,

I"m Brutus from Kanab, currently an outdoor rec. student at Southern Utah University. The Avatar pic there is my wife and I in the Subway. We try to be outside all the time doing our favorite activity, canyoneering.
I am a guide for a company in Kanab. I also lead canyoneering trips for SUU students. I'm also the Outside page editor at the University Journal.
We also get out climbing on a regular basis. Backpacking and camping are a great time, all year round. I try to do anything new outdoors; Slacklines, horse riding, ATVs etc.
Thats a bit about me!

Hi Brutus-Do you know Kurt Robinson? I hired him as a guide several years ago, we wound up going swimming in the Wave, and have been friends ever since.