Guess the spot: Utah Edition

I'm also stuck on the Green, but I've only spent time on the west side, no the Moab side. So I'll guess Keg Point

hint: of the two very nearby landmarks (one shown on the USGS maps, one not) one has an animal in the same and the other a food

This is a zone that very much interests me. Can you tell us a bit about your route?
yes, hamburger rocks! you're up

we did a pretty easy and basic route... the friday before last we got started walking from the post corral around 5pm and camped way up near the top of the reef, which was easy since there were puddles everywhere since it had rained that day. we'd have gotten started much earlier but the Notom Bullfrog road had slicked up to the point where continuing was impossible so we had to wait for it to dry.

saturday we continued south, it was a short day and we explored a while, checking out a small rock art panel along the way. we walked up past all of the Muley Tanks and chilled at hamburger rocks for quite a while, then camped high up on the reef again.

sunday we walked about halfway up Lower Muley Twist and camped near a respectably perennial pool that I can send you data for if you like, but it had sorta nasty water, so again we drank from little potholes that were nice and cleanish. the pool was below a dryfall that we bypassed exploring to the east, but we stopped at the next dryfall and climbed around the rim for a while to catch the views.

monday we found that we had camped in essentially the very last place to catch the sun in the morning; we continued north to the cutoff trail to the post, it was only about 3.5 hours of walking, and then got back to SLC before dark.

all in all an extremely nice trip. but this is pretty much on the map now, we saw three other groups, though not while camping since we always camped somewhat out of the way. the alcoves along lower muley twist are the most amazing I've seen anywhere in Utah, just incredible.

yes, hamburger rocks! you're up

we did a pretty easy and basic route... the friday before last we got started walking from the post corral around 5pm and camped way up near the top of the reef, which was easy since there were puddles everywhere since it had rained that day. we'd have gotten started much earlier but the Notom Bullfrog road had slicked up to the point where continuing was impossible so we had to wait for it to dry.

saturday we continued south, it was a short day and we explored a while, checking out a small rock art panel along the way. we walked up past all of the Muley Tanks and chilled at hamburger rocks for quite a while, then camped high up on the reef again.

sunday we walked about halfway up Lower Muley Twist and camped near a respectably perennial pool that I can send you data for if you like, but it had sorta nasty water, so again we drank from little potholes that were nice and cleanish. the pool was below a dryfall that we bypassed exploring to the east, but we stopped at the next dryfall and climbed around the rim for a while to catch the views.

monday we found that we had camped in essentially the very last place to catch the sun in the morning; we continued north to the cutoff trail to the post, it was only about 3.5 hours of walking, and then got back to SLC before dark.

all in all an extremely nice trip. but this is pretty much on the map now, we saw three other groups, though not while camping since we always camped somewhat out of the way. the alcoves along lower muley twist are the most amazing I've seen anywhere in Utah, just incredible.
Sounds delightful. I need to make it down there one of these days. Appreciate the write up, I'm always curious how people approach hiking the Fold.

wow!
it has quite a "Zion east side" vibe in the foreground but I'm certain I've never seen that wall in the background

Bravo! So apparently Zion but I couldn't nail it down. So is this Russell Gulch then?
Russell Gulch is off to the right not in photo. This is the approach for the Subway top down, and is a zone worth visiting in and of itself.

Back