Government shutdown??

The daily monetary loss for closing all 401 national parks/monuments is $76 million per day, when you include fees, spending on hotels, food, trips (like the one above), etc.

I just read that a bill to keep the Veterans Memorial open was passed. Squeaky wheels.....

Spending more money(supposedly which they don't have) to keep people out than to keep it open, and losing all the revenue. This is just nuts.

This makes me so sad. Planning a vacation and having it killed by these idiots is one thing. Planning and trying for permits for 10 years and spending $30k would be just devastating.

That's just awful. You'd think they could at least accommodate people who already had permits secured and didn't have time to alter their travel plans. I wonder why they feel it's necessary to close the parks when a shut down occurs. Do you guys think it's a liability issue, for example if someone gets hurt and there's no one there to help, or that they're worried that people will be damage resources if no one's looking?

I talked to Jock Whitworth (superintendent of ZNP) tonight at a Hurricane Trails Committee open house meeting. Sounds like someone poached the Subway and fell, possibly needed evac!

All state parks will stay open. National Parks & monuments are closed (which for some areas is pretty stupid because you don't see anyone out there anyway), national forests are pretty hit & miss what is open or closed. Basically with the national forests, if there are any amenities, toilets, campground, etc it will most likely be closed.

I'm not headed there this weekend, but I'm curious.

Is the Hole in the Rock Road open?

That should really be the contingency plan for anyone being kicked out of our National Parks.

I'm not headed there this weekend, but I'm curious.

Is the Hole in the Rock Road open?

That should really be the contingency plan for anyone being kicked out of our National Parks.

Hole in the Rock is open.

I love it! And that's pretty much what I have in mind. I don't want to sound whiny (especially after hearing people on CNN with cancer that aren't going to be able to start their NIH trial because of this government b.s.) but in my situation I bought a plane ticket months ago to spend a weekend at a certain national park to photograph it under the full moon, and I sold my bike to pay for this trip. I'm not going to let the idiots in Washington (can you imagine if we all worked like that? We'd be fired in a heartbeat!) ruin this trip. I'm not naming the national park, but the topography makes it pretty easy to sneak into it at night, especially because yes, there's a full moon that weekend! :D If I post night shots here, you'll know I was successful.....:dance:

Update: found this article: http://www.ianplant.com/blog/2013/1...raphers-guide-to-the-u-s-government-shutdown/

And another: http://www.npr.org/2013/10/03/228719015/national-parks-close-as-other-public-lands-stay-open

I talked to Jock Whitworth (superintendent of ZNP) tonight at a Hurricane Trails Committee open house meeting. Sounds like someone poached the Subway and fell, possibly needed evac!

You go in, you are responsible for yourself, period.

II'm not naming the national park, but the topography makes it pretty easy to sneak into it at night, especially because yes, there's a full moon that weekend! :D If I post night shots here, you'll know I was successful.....:dance:

I somehow had that same idea, because of the topography. But I would do it just for fun and to see what happens :)
And I'm pretty sure, there are a lot of spots where you could sneak into it

So far I'm still heading to the Escalante area next Wednesday for a long weekend. I simply need to figure out what backpacking trip I want to do. :)

I double-checked on this with Zion NP's PIO. She says there have been no rescues within the park since the shutdown. She also says closures of all the canyons, Subway included, are being enforced.

So it is possible the person was able to make it out or Jock was wrong. He wasnt sure just said he had heard that possibly... apparently he isnt working either not sure if it was a self furlough or...

Brilliant! That is all I can say to that.

'Occupy Yosemite' this Friday. Maybe we should all go 'Occupy Zion'?

http://www.outsideonline.com/news-f...k&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=facebookpost

There is an Occupy Zion on Saturday I got this following email today

Hi Chere, I'm Eric Kirmeyer I've done several hikes with the meetup group. We would like to protest the government shut down of our parks this Saturday(10-5-13). We'll meet at the Kolob section of Zion National Park off of I-15. The time will be 12:00. We'll hike through the closed gates and into the park. We hope to have enough people so no one will be ticketed or arrested. We'll contact the media and hopefully have news coverage. Can you post this for us? Here's my email address and phone number:redddrock@gmail.com(if you want his phone number send me private message) thanks for your help