Getting that thunderstorm itch…..

Laura

freespirittraveler
I'm fixated on getting some storm shots with lightning this year and can't wait for monsoon season. I wasn't expecting any thunderstorms until well into summer, but NOAA has a 40% chance of thunderstorms forecast for Bryce Canyon on Thursday. Does this sound like it's worth dropping everything and running off to Utah for (12 hour drive) or would it be better to wait until summer?

I'm ready to drop everything and go…….!

40% isn't that great. I'd definitely wait for the monsoon to kick in.

Now it's down to 30%. :( Shoot, I was dying to head back to Utah……the itch just keeps getting worse!

I can't wait for the storms to pop up, too. I really want to get a few good shots this year.
@Laura , I would wait for monsoon season to arrive. These storms they sometimes forecast for the South barely survive and usually are removed from the forecast within a day or two.

Good to know. I wasn't sure if the spring thunderstorms packed the same punch as the monsoon season. Thanks for saving me a lot of driving and $$. :cool:

Good to know. I wasn't sure if the spring thunderstorms packed the same punch as the monsoon season. Thanks for saving me a lot of driving and $$. :cool:

It's more a hit and miss down here. Better chances of good spring thunderstorms are in the Sat Lake area. I'm always envious to see pictures posted from there and we got nothing again.
I will chase again this July and August and hope for a few good shots.

Me too. I'm watching NOAA with anticipation. Since it's a holiday weekend and things will be slow towards the end of the week, I still may get a wild hair and drive out there. I was just looking at someone's flickr photos taken in May of red rocks against dark gray skies and the itch started all over again! :thumbsup:

even without any t storms you can get some really awesome shots with a dramatic sky :)
Let me know when you're coming to chase during monsoon season, I might join you if I'm at home and not camping somewhere

even without any t storms you can get some really awesome shots with a dramatic sky :)

Oh man, just when I'd convinced myself to wait until summer. Now I'm thinking of ditching everything and running out there again!

@Laura , did you end up chasing some storms?
We had two pretty good t storms during our backpacking trip in Grand Gulch but were down in the canyon, so no way for good storm shots :(

No, I decided to wait until summer and a forecast of 100% chance of thunderstorms. I'll let you know when I'm going, maybe we can meet up! :D

Monsoon is just starting to kick in. I hope to head down soon. I know some great observation places that I can direct you to. I just posted a bunch of my pics in general discussion.

Thanks, but it looks like I'm going to miss this season's thunderstorms. I'm going to Kauai soon and I've decided to be financially responsible for once in my life and not run off to Utah at the drop of a hat. I'll just have to enjoy yours and everyone else's thunderstorm shots. I'll be back with (hopefully) shots of rainbows, jungle, and turquoise water. :D

Wait a second... last I checked, you could take like 10 or 20 trips to Utah for the cost of 1 trip to Kauai. :confused: But with that said, I'm looking forward to the pics! Audra and I got married on Kauai. Nice place.

Wait a second... last I checked, you could take like 10 or 20 trips to Utah for the cost of 1 trip to Kauai. :confused: But with that said, I'm looking forward to the pics! Audra and I got married on Kauai. Nice place.

Actually I can take 2 trips to Utah for one trip to Kauai when you factor in gas costs, places to stay (I can only do so much camping in a row before I need a hot shower and a soft bed) and the fact that the costs are shared on Kauai (with my sweetie, plus I've found some great bargain places/plane tickets) vs. solo for Utah photography trips. And photos on Kauai will be limited, because our agreement is that I take photography trips solo so I can be as obsessive as I want, but our trips together I keep the photography to a minimum and focus on being together. But Stan has agreed that I'll get to be obsessive a few times on this trip if he can sit in the car and drink beer while I do it, so there might be some decent photos. :cool: