Getting back into it...

stderr

Hey guys! Read the Noob Guide, realized I should probably introduce myself. I'm Josh. I work as an engineering manager at an education startup in Salt Lake City. I was raised by a park ranger father and have been backpacking, mountaineering, and fly fishing since I was a wee one. I'm just getting back into it after my wife and I were focused on raising our two youngest daughters, which left us much less free time, as you can imagine. Now that they're older we're feeling more comfortable leaving them with family every month or two while we do some adventuring in Utah and beyond.

I've lurked BCP for a long time and can't wait to get involved in the discussion of everything that involves the backcountry! I'm particularly interested in getting into packrafting. So if you have any tips on how to dip my toe into those waters, lemme know! I also have a large amount of experience in land navigation, both in the backcountry and as a cavalry scout in the military, so hopefully I can give some humble suggestions in that realm.

Hi Josh,
Welcome and teach us some navigation skills..

Welcome to the show. Sounds like this is the perfect place for you to spend your carefree hours. There's a ton of people here that that help you in your adventure quest.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
trustyfisherman Just getting started Noobs: Introduce yourself! 1
Bob Wind Rivers ..... for those getting the itch ........ Backpacking 2
balzaccom Getting old.... General Discussion 2
Perry Thinking About Getting WFR Certified General Discussion 13
Rockskipper Maybe it was the BBQ sauce (guy survives 3 weeks w/ no food or water after getting lost) General Discussion 0
Rockskipper As ice thaws, rock avalanches on Southeast Alaska mountains are getting bigger General Discussion 0
Rockskipper The Bells - yet another place getting overwhelmed General Discussion 19
r3biker Getting back into hiking Noobs: Introduce yourself! 5
McKee80 Getting a late start ... Noobs: Introduce yourself! 2
P Getting water in Yellowstone thermal areas General Discussion 4
seekinglost Uintas Highline Trail Solo Thru Hike - Getting to/from trailheads logistics Trip Planning 59
M Getting Naked Outdoors General Discussion 43
balzaccom Staying in shape...or getting it back General Discussion 9
H Odds of getting a walk-in permit in Glacier NP? Trip Planning 1
Laura Getting that thunderstorm itch….. Photography 17
Nick Getting into river rafting General Discussion 6
Duke Need advice on getting details in fog/clouds Photography 14
intuitive cat getting photos printed using an online printer Photography 4
uintahiker Thinking about getting new boots Gear 7
R Getting to All American Man Trip Planning 3