Fuel Canister refiller

Bob

Trailmaster
Anybody ever use one of these> I have a few partial canisters. Would be nice to fill one...

a flip.jpg

these look like lots of fun but I just take a partial canister and then also a full one, or save the partial ones for when I might want tea or soup on a day hike

Reactions: Bob
I used a similar product and it worked well. I emptied and refilled maybe 10-15 of the 110g size canisters in one session.
Then at the end of the next season I tried it again and it didn't seem to be working. I think the problem was that you really need to create a large pressure differential between the two canisters by making one hot and one cold. I probably just didn't go far enough temperature-wise the last time I tried it, so head's up.
They could be good for using/buying less metal, too, because you could buy one huge canister and use it to fill up the same small canister over and over. In theory.

these look like lots of fun but I just take a partial canister and then also a full one, or save the partial ones for when I might want tea or soup on a day hike
Thats what ive been doing. But its extra weight and takes up valuable space in pack.

Last edited:
1706419182518.png

speaking of gas and temperature, apparently a bit earlier this winter in Alberta it was cold enough that a glass of propane was below its boiling point!!

speaking of gas and temperature, apparently a bit earlier this winter in Alberta it was cold enough that a glass of propane was below its boiling point!!
Yes, I can believe it! That was a tough week here. A friend who lives north of Calgary posted this, and that wasn't the bottom- the low there that night got to -46. That's -51 in American.
Screen Shot 2024-01-28 at 8.34.30 AM.png

Back on topic (sort of), I know someone who has something similar to refill the 1 Lb "disposable" cylinders that he uses with a 2 burner Coleman stove on canoe trips. Apparently it works very well.

I bought another brand, G-works (made by a S Korean company) in 2022, and have used it for almost every overnight trip since. There are more options available now at lower and higher price points. I pop the the receiving canister in the freezer (hint: PV = nRT), and use a kitchen scale to tune the amount of gas based on the number of hot meals and conditions.

A few resources that may be of use:

I bought another brand, G-works (made by a S Korean company) in 2022, and have used it for almost every overnight trip since. There are more options available now at lower and higher price points. I pop the the receiving canister in the freezer (hint: PV = nRT), and use a kitchen scale to tune the amount of gas based on the number of hot meals and conditions.

A few resources that may be of use:
Got the exact same thing and been using it two years. Weigh the canister as I go just like you to be safe. I’ll never go back to carrying partial canisters plus a full one again. This method solved my only nit with canister fuel. We hike year round but don’t have the intense cold issues that some poor souls do.

awesome links @fossana! I have some notes about canister weights but not nearly as many.

for consumption my overall starting point is a full 100g canister will be just about used up after a 3 night trip, cooking for 2.