Fat Foot

Nick

-
I rolled my ankle really bad in Moab over the past weekend. And of all the places to do it, the easy first section of the trail to Delicate Arch! :facepalm: So it's been like 4 whole days now and the thing is still a swollen disfigured mess. Despite the ER doc initially diagnosing it as being broken, there were no visible fractures on my x-ray so now I'm waiting for my appointment with the ortho doctor.

Anyone have any advice on getting me back on my feet?

Always looking for an excuse to post a photo of my foot on the interwebs. This was taken just minutes after the incident. It's much larger now. :eek:

Click thumbnail to view full size.
swelling.jpg

One of my most popular photos on Flickr (remember Flickr?) was a shot of my filthy feet after a 16-mile trail run. Turns out a few foot fetish forums linked to it. Gross.

I have the same advice you'll get from everyone: RICE. Rest, Ice, Compress, Elevate. Throw some ibuprofen or naproxen in the mix, too. I have a few prescription strength naproxen that a doc prescribed after I ate shit long boarding, but they're essentially the same as stacking three or four Aleves together. Surprisingly, it helps a lot. You might want to try some light stretching, but I'd probably wait until the swelling goes down.

I got wheels today!! This thing is a blast to ride around the office! Disc brakes and everything. All it needs is a bell.

scooter.jpg

Nice ride, dooood! :haha: Hurry up and get better. Hope you can get in to see the ortho soon!

Not officialy broken, Kris. Still waiting for the ortho appointment next week. The pain has subsided but it's still really swollen. I think the scooter is going to be helpful though. Sooooo much easier to get around! Really need to get with the R.I.C.E. program though.

Well this is weird. There has been no bruising to go with this injury (I almost never bruise). But all of the sudden today it's all bruised up on both side of my feet, 5 days after the accident. Anyone ever heard of that before?

Nice wheels Nick.:) The only time I ever had an injury like that was when I bruised the bone on my shin. Crazy painful! It got worse before it got better. The doc said it's usually more painful and takes longer to heal than a break. It hurt for months, and you could still see where I fell on it for a whole year after. Take good care of that ankle. RICE is nice.

One of my most popular photos on Flickr (remember Flickr?) was a shot of my filthy feet after a 16-mile trail run. Turns out a few foot fetish forums linked to it. Gross.

I have the same advice you'll get from everyone: RICE. Rest, Ice, Compress, Elevate. Throw some ibuprofen or naproxen in the mix, too. I have a few prescription strength naproxen that a doc prescribed after I ate shit long boarding, but they're essentially the same as stacking three or four Aleves together. Surprisingly, it helps a lot. You might want to try some light stretching, but I'd probably wait until the swelling goes down.
exactly this. With the added bruising you probably want to make sure the swelling doesn't get worse this could lead ischemia of the foot. But really it's most likely going to come down to it takes the time it takes. Rice should help shorten that time.
Good luck to you.

Nice wheels Nick.:) The only time I ever had an injury like that was when I bruised the bone on my shin. Crazy painful! It got worse before it got better. The doc said it's usually more painful and takes longer to heal than a break. It hurt for months, and you could still see where I fell on it for a whole year after. Take good care of that ankle. RICE is nice.

I'm definitely in the getting worse before it gets better stage. Scary seeing how it's now been more than a week. The swelling is definitely going down though, it's just the pain that's going up. :(

Can I just say how irritating it is to still be immobile, now more than eight days after the incident? :mad:
Sorry about your luck. It takes the time it takes. Do the rice deal, and milk this for all it's worth with your spouse.

Nick, I can tell you it really takes a while. Take good care of your foot, apply rice and hopefully it's getting better soon.
It's only a week since your accident, unfortunately this will take a while.
But anyway, I press both thumbs for you for a speedy recovery.

I hiked into shelf canyon in Zion two years ago, rolled my ankle within sight of the car an honestly it took three weeks till I could really put pressure on it and a month at least before I could go on an easy hike! I blame aging as a teenager ankle rolls took days rather than weeks!

I guess it just hasn't absorbed that this might actually take a long time to heal. Thanks for the reality checks.

Maybe I'll start doing laps around the neighborhood on my knee scooter. Or better yet, tie on some dogs and let them pull me.... :haha:

Once you see the ortho surgeon, you will have a better picture of what is wrong and the correct path to recovery. Regardless of what happens, you have to keep the swelling down and the foot elevated. The mor it swells, the longer it takes to recover. Toes above nose at all times, including sleeping.

Felicia

So I went to the doc today. Once again, they thought it was broken and someone must've read the previous x-ray wrong. They checked them over and wanted more angles, off to the x-ray machine again... Still nothing concrete. They think I have done a sprain+high sprain combo. It's less common than a usual sprain I guess because one of the tendons I ripped is above the ankle. So it's more R.I.C.E., physical therapy and this awesome boot!

boot.jpg

Funny side note. Everyone kept asking me at the ER and at this doc if I had previously injured this leg. I finally asked why and learned that I broke my leg a few years ago and didn't realize it. The x-ray shows a rather large area where they say a fracture occurred and has since healed. I remember hurting it and it being swollen and super tender for a really long time but had no idea...