Escalante Area Wanderings: Cosmic Navel

piper01

Day 6
Today was the first of two days exploring from my new base off Spencer Flats Road. I drove along the road as far as was allowed, then parked next to one other vehicle. The track soon grew sandy and narrow as I hiked along. About 10 minutes in I met the owners of the other vehicle- a couple returning from a backpacking trip. It looked like I would indeed have the area to myself.

I followed the old road until it started to turn north, then I cut cross-country across the slickrock.
IMG_3194_ss.PNG

This was a fun hike for exploring. Easy walking on rock rather than a sandy slog, no worries about destroying cryptobiotic soil, and no marked route to follow meant I could wander as I pleased. I saw a camel eroding out of the rock!
IMG_3200_ss.PNG
And numerous swirls in the sandstone.
IMG_3205_ss.PNG
This was as close to a "wave" as I found.
IMG_3206.JPG
*sings* I've hiked Utah once or twice, living in a slickrock paradise. (Bonus points for identifying the original song and the original parody of it!)
IMG_3208.JPG
Looking down into Red Breaks.
IMG_3214_ss.PNG
I meandered around to approach the Cosmic Navel (or whatever name you prefer for it) from the southwest. I found the area surrounding it strewn with chunks of iron concretions.
IMG_3222_ss.PNG

This piece had the outline of a marble embedded in it. I hefted a few pieces to feel how heavy they were. Answer: very; concentrated iron is dense!
IMG_3267_ss.PNG

After another minute or two, I turned a corner and saw the Cosmic Navel. I had to pull out my wide-angle lens to capture the entire sight.
IMG_3253.JPG

It's difficult to convey the scale of it, but here are the Moqui steps carved in the side. I opted not to descend into the crater since I was out alone and didn't want to risk getting trapped in it.
IMG_3254_crop.jpg

I wonder how long it would take for the dune collecting inside to cover the center island?
IMG_3256.JPG

Ripples in the sand.
IMG_3261_crop.jpg

I made my way around to the northeast side of the crater and admired the fabulous view.
IMG_3262.JPG

This was part of a larger panel of intricate iron staining. I'm guessing that the water depositing the iron flowed toward the left.
IMG_3272_ss.PNG

I had to take one more picture of the Cosmic Navel before I left it, looking back toward the southwest this time.
IMG_3277.JPG

Finally, I started to meander my way back through the sea of slickrock.
IMG_3274_ss.PNG

One area was reminiscent of the crossbedding at White Pockets.
IMG_3281_ss.PNG

More crossbedding!
IMG_3283_ss.PNG

This was the only cairn I found the entire hike- eroding out of the rock. I guess I was meant to go this way.
IMG_3290.JPG

This vista took my breath away. Despite all the beauty I'd seen in the past few days, nothing topped the unexpectedness of this scene. It was a great reminder to relax in the shade of a tree and just enjoy the view, rather than rushing to take a picture and move on.
IMG_3291.JPG

I couldn't resist sitting down and watching alongside the Stone Thinker.
IMG_3195_ss.PNG

I'll end this trip report on an introspective note: we're all just temporary visitors to this landscape before we, too, erode back to dust.
IMG_3293.JPG

Featured image for home page:
slide.jpg

All these trip reports are awesome. I've upped my knee rehab regimen to the max the last few days because I can't take looking at all of your great photos and not getting out there ASAP! Keep 'em coming!

All these trip reports are awesome. I've upped my knee rehab regimen to the max the last few days because I can't take looking at all of your great photos and not getting out there ASAP! Keep 'em coming!

I'm finally done posting this trip. I'll have to dig into my travels from the past few years- I have a few more good trips I can share!

Thinking of how much it'll help my hiking trips always motivates me at the gym, especially when doing step-ups (ugh!).

I walked past that naturally occurring cairn my last time out there too!