East Cedar Mountain

Desertrat

East Cedar Mountain has been on my list for a long time. I first read about it Michael Kelsey's book. So finally I decided to give it a shot on Sunday. I drove down to Emery and then took the Miller Canyon road down to I-70. From there it was all dirt roads to Cedar Mountain. The drive in was nice, no traffic and fairly smooth roads.

Mesa Butte

East Cedar Mountain

I got to my desired parking spot and the wind was blowing really hard. I sat there debating whether to go or just ride around. I finally talked myself into hiking it. The plan was to walk up the ridge line but staying on the South, just below the ridge cut the wind down quite a bit. The hike up was steep and lots of boulders. It took about an hour forty five to reach the top.

Trailhead

Looking North

East Cedar Mountain Peaks

I wanted to go further but the peaks were steep and loose. Plus huge dropoffs all around so I didn't want to chance it and turned around. The hike down was quicker because I didn't have to take as many rest breaks.

Chimney Canyon Down Below

Small Juniper

Cedar Mountain

After getting back to the truck, I sat there and ate my lunch consisting of a salami sandwich and mountain dew. I took a different way home. I drove to the Lonetree Crossing and Salt Wash. I did take a wrong turn once but it didn't take long to figure out I was in the wrong spot. The bridge was a lot narrower than I thought it was going to be. After the crossing I drove down I-70 and through Buckhorn Draw to home.

Lonetree Crossing

Narrow Bridge

It was a good hike but the wind was a nightmare. If I got out on the North side ridge it felt like I was going to get blown off the mountain. Now I can scratch that off my to do list.

Photo Gallery: East Cedar Mountain

GPS Tracklog: Google Earth KMZ

Featured image for home page:
slide.jpg

No I haven't seen the arch. Next time I am down that way, I will have to look for it.

Look for this one:
DSC00013_12.jpg

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
TrailScot Day hike in the Upper East Side of Zion - October 2023 Hiking & Camping 5
Kullaberg63 Suggestions for Escalante east of river, south of Choprock Trip Planning 4
Dreamer Way, way Down East Backpacking 13
scatman East Millcreek Ridge - July 2, 2022 Hiking & Camping 21
Duketogo13 Hello from the East Bay! Noobs: Introduce yourself! 17
zionsky ZNP East Entrance Visitor Center General Discussion 2
Dustynails0 Beartooth lake to East rosebud traverse Trip Planning 6
J East Coast to Unitas Trip Recommendations Trip Planning 4
Ross Anyone want to do East Fork Fat Man's Misery-Barracks-Labyrinth Falls Oct 15 (tues) Trip Planning 0
J How is the dirt road to the East Fork of Blacks Fork TH? Trip Planning 1
Ross Invite Boundary/Kolob/Narrows & East Fork Fat Man’s/Labyrinth Falls (Oct) Meet Up (Members Only) 4
regehr floating East Canyon Creek in a packraft? Trip Planning 3
Lowro East Temple Peak - Wind River Range Backpacking 13
chandlerwest Just Some Drainage in the East side of Zion Nat'l Park Hiking & Camping 9
Born to Hike Clements Lake and East Basin in the High Uintas, mid-July 2018 Backpacking 6
Noun Sequitur El Malpais East, Lava Falls Trail Hiking & Camping 5
N Canyon Routes on East Side of Trachyte Creek Trip Planning 2
T Greetings from the East Coast Noobs: Introduce yourself! 4
Perry Uinta Highline trail - East to West - Mission Accomplished! Backpacking 24
George_Washington_Hayduke White Roost Canyons (east and west forks) & North Fork of Robbers Roost Canyon Canyoneering 3
J Camping outside East entrance of Zion NP General Discussion 2
chandlerwest Zion Nat'l Park - Rim of the East Canyons Hiking & Camping 5
JDWalters East Coast noob here Noobs: Introduce yourself! 7
Perry Uinta Highline Trail - East to West Backpacking 21
Artemus Zion east entrance road closed General Discussion 1
Curt Grand Canyon --Tanner - Escalante Route - East Tonto - Grandview Backpacking 21
LarryBoy Beartooths - East/West Traverse (any/all advice welcome!) Trip Planning 15
Writhdar Red Breaks Northeast & East Forks Loop? (Escalante area) General Discussion 3
Ross Invite: Exploring Little Colorado's north rim + Colorado East Rim viewpts Trip Planning 3
blueeyes East Idaho backpacking suggestions Trip Planning 11
Ross Misery Canyon just east of Zion - west or east fork? Trip Planning 5
Christian Canyoneering East Blarney, Big Springs East, hiking to some less frequented areas in Moab Canyoneering 4
Tres Westbrook Down East Maine - Cutler Coast Preserve Trails Hiking & Camping 4
IntrepidXJ East Fork of Pollock Canyon Hiking & Camping 2
Nick Choprock East Access Trip Planning 3
toejam East Deck Loop Hiking & Camping 4
Flaminghog2099 East coast backpacking General Discussion 7
Scott Chandler Summer in the CPW- Tour 5 on the East Side Backpacking 3
Scott Chandler Summer in the CPW- Tour 2- East Side Hiking & Camping 5
Vegan.Hiker East coast hiker visiting Utah Trip Planning 28
Curt Bright Angel - East Tonto - Grandview Trails Backpacking 12
Ron Diel Noob from Out East Noobs: Introduce yourself! 1
uinta_eagle Solo Uintas Loop From East Fork of the Bear Backpacking 5
ram East Face of Mix-Up Mountain Backpacking 4
Dave Boy Scouts kill bear at East Fork of the Bear General Discussion 17