Denali

Great news indeed - kind of a formality as "Denali" been embraced by hikers, climbers, locals, etc for quite awhile now .... but I suppose it's an opportunity to make it formal & communicate it broadly .... and most importantly, it's finally an opportunity for the Internet to get really angry about it. Hold on, folks .... the commenters are already out in full force.

In celebration, here's a shot of my final steps to the summit in 2011. The "Great One" beat the hell out of me but the experience will forever be a part of my life. Hands down, one of the best experiences of my life.

IMG_00207.jpg

Hasn't the national park it's in always been formally named "Denali National Park"? That's why I'm confused why they hadn't changed the official name of the mountain until now. Good deal though!

Hasn't the national park it's in always been formally named "Denali National Park"? That's why I'm confused why they hadn't changed the official name of the mountain until now. Good deal though!

They got the national park renamed to Denali in the 80's but couldn't push through the peak rename because of resistance in Ohio since that is where McKinley is from.

Quite aside from the fact that it had been called "Denali" for hundreds of years before McKinley was even born, this is great news. There are certain mountains that are so awesome that they don't even need to be called "Mount". The Matterhorn, Aconcagua, K2, Katahdin, Denali. These mountains are so impressive/fearsome/prominent/amazing that to attach "Mt" to the front of them would demean them. "Mt Katahdin" would be translated "Mt Greatest Mountain". "Mt Matterhorn"? Please.

Good to see Denali with the name it rightfully deserves.

They got the national park renamed to Denali in the 80's but couldn't push through the peak rename because of resistance in Ohio since that is where McKinley is from.
Isn't that interesting that people in Ohio had such a strong say in the name of a mountain thousands of miles away? Seems a bit ridiculous.

I feel it's not just changing it to what it had been called, it's more respectful to the indigenous people of the area that called it Denali.

And now people will know where chevy got the name for charging more for 'extras'

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk