COVID-19 Affecting Your Plans?

I've decided to postpone my trip next week to southern utah until late fall. If I could drive there I would go but alas, I'm on the east coast and must fly. At the rate events are happening, I'm not so sure I wouldn't get "locked down" out there (although it wouldn't be a bad place to get stuck!) But I do need to be conscious of the fact that, while I might be healthy and not get sick, I could be exposed and carry it back to others i.e. wife, daughter, or my parents who are in their 80s. Until then I will spend extra time with my loved ones, be thankful for my health, enjoy reading everyone's reports and seeing the pictures. I trust a few of you locals @chandlerwest , @Yvonne will keep us up to date on the beauty of the region. Oh... and your welcome for the snow I promised :)

I've decided to postpone my trip next week to southern utah until late fall. If I could drive there I would go but alas, I'm on the east coast and must fly. At the rate events are happening, I'm not so sure I wouldn't get "locked down" out there (although it wouldn't be a bad place to get stuck!) But I do need to be conscious of the fact that, while I might be healthy and not get sick, I could be exposed and carry it back to others i.e. wife, daughter, or my parents who are in their 80s. Until then I will spend extra time with my loved ones, be thankful for my health, enjoy reading everyone's reports and seeing the pictures. I trust a few of you locals @chandlerwest , @Yvonne will keep us up to date on the beauty of the region. Oh... and your welcome for the snow I promised :)
sorry to hear you have to cancel but totally understandable. But on the other hand, fall is amazing in Zion and you'll love it.

As soon as I come back from my weeklong geology trip I'm at right now, I will get out and do these awesome hikes in Southern Utah again. So be ready for new pictures.

So, you think if I go camp in the Cisco Desert (in Grand County) and I have a Moab residence (Grand County) and Utah driver's license (with my Grand County address - which I do, even though I'm currently in Colorado), that I'll get the boot? I'm seriously wanting to just go camping for a few weeks, way out there. Serious question - would appreciate any feedback.

So, you think if I go camp in the Cisco Desert (in Grand County) and I have a Moab residence (Grand County) and Utah driver's license (with my Grand County address - which I do, even though I'm currently in Colorado), that I'll get the boot? I'm seriously wanting to just go camping for a few weeks, way out there. Serious question - would appreciate any feedback.
Serious answer: I'm sure nobody will be out checking, unless perhaps you're part of a huge group of circled wagons (RVs) in a popular place for camping, particularly closer to Moab. But if somebody does check, it sounds like you'd have it covered. I really feel like this health department order was meant to protect Moab from all the spring visitors it usually attracts, which is understandable. I don't think the solo primitive camper is much of a threat, though, especially if you're not going into Moab for supplies and fuel.

Thank you all. This has been a really interesting thread to read. My thoughts are all over the place. Being in the East, I have canceled two trips for this year. At the end of the day, whether it is overblown or not, I'm going to follow the guidelines. I can live with the downside of following the guidelines unnecessarily, but I would have a very hard time with not following them and being wrong. The most resonant thing I've heard (for me) is to make decisions as if you have it and don't want to give it to anyone, rather than base them on trying not to get it.

My thoughts are all over the place......

I would have a very hard time with not following them and being wrong. ...make decisions as if you have it and don't want to give it to anyone, rather than base them on trying not to get it.

As much as I don't want to hear it, personally, that is really the message that should be broadcast out from all media platforms. Great thoughts to share, McKee80, thank you.

This, from the AAC, along the same line:

https://americanalpineclub.org/news/2020/3/17/climbers-take-action-against-coronavirus

I think we're just about to begin to see how this is all truly going to affect everyday life. There have been some good, informative graphics shared on Reddit, and I think they help to put things into perspective.

Jackson, is there a way to get these updated daily? Let's see if mitigation has begun to make a difference (though, with the incubation period) it may be a bit early.

Thanks,
John

Jackson, is there a way to get these updated daily? Let's see if mitigation has begun to make a difference (though, with the incubation period) it may be a bit early.

Thanks,
John
Not those exact graphics, unless the original creators continue posting them daily. I haven't checked to see if those users have been updating them.

Edit: the one who made the table posts updates to his Twitter account. https://twitter.com/Nathan510edge

Update from NY / NJ / CT / PA : Temporary Closure of All Indoor Portions of Retail Shopping Malls, Amusement Parks & Bowling Alleys - Effective by 8 PM Thursday

If anyone is into reading about the chemistry side of this virus, the American Chemical Society has this link (which will be required reading for one of my upper division chem courses next quarter)...

Thanks for posting that link. I have a degree in chemistry that hasn’t seen much direct use in the last decade or so. It is nice to know I can still understand some of those articles even though a few of them trigger my chemistry degree related PTSD. [emoji3061]

Thanks for posting that link. I have a degree in chemistry that hasn’t seen much direct use in the last decade or so. It is nice to know I can still understand some of those articles even though a few of them trigger my chemistry degree related PTSD. [emoji3061]
Same story for me. What I do now has zero to do with chemistry, but I still find it interesting/PTSD-inducing. My chem undergrad was easily 2-3x as difficult as law school.

Same story for me. What I do now has zero to do with chemistry, but I still find it interesting/PTSD-inducing. My chem undergrad was easily 2-3x as difficult as law school.

That makes me think I should go to law school. I still deal with chemistry, but from the periphery. I am a food safety consultant for manufacturing. Funny to see all of the talk of handwashing since that is one of the items I always have to touch on when I’m onsite at a facility.