Cookware

lgpjr49

What does everyone use when to cool with when hiking? A pot or kettle? Also anyone ever have a good suggestion with a small backpack able frying pan?

It is all about your preference. I used to use a MSR Wind Pro with a pot. I very rarely cooked anything in the pot other than just boiling water, so I switched to a Jet Boil Sol. It saves space and a little weight. A pan probably doesn't take up much space, but it takes a little more space and adds weight. @Nick has used a pan in the past and can probably give you his opinion on the pan subject.

I keep it simple and just boil water for my meals, and I like the convenience of a Jetboil system.

I use a MSR titanium pot to boil water and sometimes eat dinner out of (if there is a lot of water nearby. Usually eat out of the pouch. A MSR titanium kettle (cup size) or a squishy bowl for oatmeal, hot drinks. Coupled with my Crux foldable canister stove it's light and compact in volume.
I found the Jetboil or Reactor takes up a lot more space (volume) and they are heavier than my setup. There boil time is only a minute or so faster at the most.

I am currently using the Optimus Terra solo cook set. It weighs in at 7.1 ounces and has a .6 liter capacity the lid doubles as a frying pan. I can fit a four ounce fuel canister and the soto OD-1R stove in the pot. I mostly just boil water in it. For the record the frying pan/lid isn't much of a fry pan. Still a pretty light set up at 9.7 ounces not including the fuel canister and it takes up very little space in my pack.

I don't have a frying pan recommendation...

I use a pot and I settled on the Toaks 900 ml. Other popular ones and ones that looked cool when I was researching last year are:

MSR Titan Kettle
Evernew (various)
And others that some people mentioned in this thread.

Jetboil, and some old Evernew titanium pots when I need them.

I don't remember doing that!

Lol, just a silly exaggeration of the fact that your endorsements and your answer when I asked you if everything, including the fuel canister, stowed inside the cup, being my deciding factors to purchase it.

My usual cook kit is just a 2L Evernew pot, about 6 oz, and used 95% of the time just to heat water. If fish are to be on the menu, a 7.5" Evernew fry pan is included but that's another 4.5 oz. I really don't like to fry fish in the backcountry. It takes a lot more fuel and potentially attracts a lot more bears. Not to mention you need a stove that can basically simmer and you have a big cleanup job. Unfortunately, my wife really likes fish------

I have been using more and more fire instead of my stove if I'm in an area that's not on fire restrictions. I just heat the water on a rock over coals, or just cook the trout or what ever I have on aluminum foil, rocks, wood. I have a stove but Its just as a backup if it rains hard and in the open.

Unless we start getting some serious snow, that might be a moot point. Hate to see fires up there as the trees are already taking a beating from the beetles. Its getting hard to find a nice spot without a widow maker close by.

Try the MSR stowaway stainless pots. I've had mine for 15 years and it's my go to pot when we're doing more than just boiling water. Goes right in the fire or on a stove. You can easily hang it if needed.

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I'm just boiling water for freeze dried meals to eat out of the pouch, I tend to prefer a tea kettle over a pot, unless I'm carrying my SVEA white gas stove for a multi-day trip, then I'll usually pack the stove in Primus Litech pot set that fits it perfectly. If I make my meals from home-dehydrated food, I usually cook them in an AntiGravityGear pot and cozy set, which they seem to have discontinued. Lately I've been trying to keep it simple and light and just carrying a MSR Pocket Rocket and a small tea kettle.