Coffee!!

I love this thread. I currently have a jet boil with press, but HATE cleaning it. Especially the last pack trip I did. Love half n half in my coffee every morning and that is not feasible on a trip. I have been trying backpack recipes lately for my upcoming trip and did buy the Nido milk so I will try that. I have used the instant coffee from Starbucks but like to add Maxwell House's International Cafe - Cafe Vienna to the mix. But it just isn't the same as simple coffee and half n half.

...But it just isn't the same as simple coffee and half n half.

That's true, blue.
A fresh brewed simple coffee w/ half n half (and sugar for me) is miles better than some instant brands. :)

Gesendet via iPhone 6 mit TapaTalk

I wish there would be a good and reliable coffeemaker I can plus into my car to get the real thing in the morning.
I often just do car camping and a working electric coffee maker that would really work with 12 V would be so awesome. :)
I know it sounds crazy, but nothing can replace the real thing.

I wish there would be a good and reliable coffeemaker I can plus into my car to get the real thing in the morning.
I often just do car camping and a working electric coffee maker that would really work with 12 V would be so awesome. :)
I know it sounds crazy, but nothing can replace the real thing.

You could probably find a small 12V coffee maker at one of the larger truck stops, something like one of these:

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=81109

so i bought the jetfoil flash a few years ago. However after using it on a 4 day trip (where water wasn't easily available), i haven't used it since. I have one of these, and i recommend these at work to customers like 4 times a week. Even had people come back and tell me how great they worked.

Also, this insulates as well as a hydroflask. Just remember to ground your coffee coarse. I drink a ton of coffee and it tastes fine to me. http://www.rei.com/product/794391/rei-vacuum-infuser-mug-15-fl-oz

so i bought the jetfoil flash a few years ago. However after using it on a 4 day trip (where water wasn't easily available), i haven't used it since. I have one of these, and i recommend these at work to customers like 4 times a week. Even had people come back and tell me how great they worked.

Also, this insulates as well as a hydroflask. Just remember to ground your coffee coarse. I drink a ton of coffee and it tastes fine to me. http://www.rei.com/product/794391/rei-vacuum-infuser-mug-15-fl-oz

Those things are awesome, but carrying anything extra for me defeats the purpose.

11 oz alone for the hydro flask, when the attachment for the Jetboil is less than 1!

@slc_dan do you have a seperate mug you put your coffee in after you have brewed it? Or drink from the Jet Boil?

For me using the JetBoil for the purpose of coffee is far too messy. I'll haul around the extra weight so I can have espresso....no problem.

For me using the JetBoil for the purpose of coffee is far too messy. I'll haul around the extra weight so I can have espresso....no problem.

that's quite the espresso maker you posted.

I guess I don't really mind the french press cleanup. not a biggie to me, but maybe I just don't care if it's left a little messy :)

that's quite the espresso maker you posted.

I guess I don't really mind the french press cleanup. not a biggie to me, but maybe I just don't care if it's left a little messy :)

Gocha. And I don't mind the extra ounces for the perfect shot of espresso. Peace!

Back before I magically became allergic to coffee, I tried many of the above methods, but ultimately settled on instant. Most of it tastes like garbage, but Trader Joe's makes a damn fine instant. I even drank it daily at home.

I use the Trader Joe's packs that have the coffee, cream, and sugar all in one. So easy to make and tastes good enough.

breakthrough. I started cooking more in the backcountry, so the jetboil wasn't the perfect match. I've been using a separate titanium pot to cook with, and still bringing the jetboil for coffee and boiling water. stupid.

I tried out the GSI Outdoor pour-over this weekend, and I'm set. Love it.

Pour over.jpg

breakthrough. I started cooking more in the backcountry, so the jetboil wasn't the perfect match. I've been using a separate titanium pot to cook with, and still bringing the jetboil for coffee and boiling water. stupid.

I tried out the GSI Outdoor pour-over this weekend, and I'm set. Love it.

View attachment 64693

I used a different drip filter on my trips the last few years. But it was pretty slow and took time until the first cup was ready. How about this one? I might get one for future trips this summer

Pour grounds into pan with water, let boil for just a moment, let sit for a minute so grounds settle, pour into cup, add half-and-half, drink. You do get some grounds, but it just adds to the buzz. If I'm going someplace where I can't keep half-and-half fresh, I buy those little Horizon milk containers that don't have to be refrigerated. I do have a French press, but this is much easier.

I just added a percolator to my rafting kitchen box for all the coffee drinkers. Only downside is that I ended up drinking coffee for like 5 days on the last trip (I'm not so allergic anymore). My only complaint with the percolator is that it's too damn hot since you have to boil it for so long.

Just to simplify packing and weight, I take instant along. I found some on Amazon that includes coffee and creamer in one little packet. I put a few of those in the food pack and good to go for a trip.

I used a different drip filter on my trips the last few years. But it was pretty slow and took time until the first cup was ready. How about this one? I might get one for future trips this summer

I've heard of that with the silicon style pour-over devices. They are also pretty heavy.

This worked very fast. I roasted coffee for 7 years, and this thing works perfect for me.

It's also designed to fit under the bottom of an isobutane container. Crazy light.

Last edited:
I seem to have gone through basically the same coffee evolution as most of the rest of y'all:
  1. plastic pourover unit -- great coffee, not too much mess, I should probably go back to doing this
  2. some kind of Mexican instant coffee -- seemed like the best instant coffee before starbucks via came out, not great but whatever, I got like 3 years of camping coffee for less than 10 bucks
  3. cowboy coffee -- not sure why I don't do this more, I guess because my old jetboil doesn't seem to know how to simmer
  4. jetboil french press -- great coffee, cleanup is a pain
  5. starbucks via -- ubiquitously available and not horrible, two sticks in a mug of boiling water like everyone else
I currently do the via just because it's so easy. There are always a few of these in my food bag. I often take the jetboil even on day hikes since my kids like to make ramen and stuff for lunch so it's easy to just randomly decide to have a coffee any time.

Back