Coffee!!

ltburrows

Just one simple question for everyone. How do YOU make coffee in the backcountry?

favorite way is to just put 1 cup of grounds in a 32 oz pot of water and just let it sit on the stove for 15-20 min without boiling or simmering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

either iced coffee - I can prepare it when I go to bed and do not need to get out of my sleeping bag in the morning. It's already ready to drink in my Nalgene bottle . :) Lazyness at its best, I guess.
Or I use the Starbucks single serve portions.
For car camping I use the real thing, real coffee grounds, a single cup filter and hot water.

i started years ago just making cowboy coffee, then switched to instant.then i went to a french press for a few years but found it a pita to keep clean.
now, i make a shake in the morning, using 2 pkts of nescafe french roast instant coffee, 1/2 cup nido powdered milk(its fortified whole milk,not the lo fat crap),1/2cup instant breakfast in a large smartwater bottle. instant mocha frappe!
i got sick of oatmeal ,too. i just eat a packet of belvita biscuits to get started in the morning. this also saves me fuel.
when its cold, i like to just break camp and start hiking to warm up.
occasionally, i'll stop after hiking for an hour or two after ive warmed up, and boil a hot cup.

Backpacking - Starbucks instant coffee - Via dark roast - 2 packets in 14 oz of hot water.
Car camping - French Press - I fresh grind my coffee beans coarse before I leave home.

Like Opi said: two sticks of Starbucks Via. This stuff taste surprisingly good for instant, and I'm a coffee snob for sure. Packaging is perfect and it is often for sale at our market.

Now, the equally big question, and almost deserving of its own thread: how to do the creamer thing out there? UHT half and half? Milk powder? Forget it and go black (barbaric)?

When I car camp or float I use my Bialetti.

Like Opi said: two sticks of Starbucks Via. This stuff taste surprisingly good for instant, and I'm a coffee snob for sure. Packaging is perfect and it is often for sale at our market.

Now, the equally big question, and almost deserving of its own thread: how to do the creamer thing out there? UHT half and half? Milk powder? Forget it and go black (barbaric)?
Nido powdered milk.its the real deal.at walmart and supermarkets in the Hispanic food section.

I was using powdered creamer but I stopped because the ingredients kinda scar me. So now if I'm just doing an weekend or overnighter I'd go for the Nido. But if I'm out for a week or so and going a long distance and trying to keep my pack weight down and trying to get 7 days worth of food in an Ursack, I skip it. Go black.

Via's the thing K! Coconut creamer in nalgene for two day trips and powdered creamer for longer. That and the sugar are heavy but as necessary as, say, toilet paper.

Black. Barbaric? Don't shower me with such compliments. :)

Backpacking - preparing tea filter bags w/ Folgers coffee medium roasted, in advance. Sugar bags from Starbucks (mostly), instant creamer filled in in little ampoules.
Boiling water from the stove and a 500 ml INOX cup. After brewing I let it settle down 5 mins.

Gesendet via iPhone 6 mit TapaTalk

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I used to do that too. I now prefer to have it the way it was intended. Pressed with 16 bars of pressure with water at about 192* then served around 160*. After many years of roasting my own, I can now pick out the different flavors is each roast (nut/cashew, chocolates/sweats, florals, etc..) I ALMOST can't stomach the stuff off the shelf from the store anymore.

I used the Jetboil press for a while but I got tired of cleaning it. I now prefer the coffee pods from the coffee station at work. I just drop two in my jet boil while it hot and off I go.

Back before I magically became allergic to coffee, I tried many of the above methods, but ultimately settled on instant. Most of it tastes like garbage, but Trader Joe's makes a damn fine instant. I even drank it daily at home.

At one time or another I've used lightweight french presses, 3 cup Bialetti moka pot, Melitta drip cone, both sizes of GSI espresso makers, Starbucks Via, MSR Mugmate, Aerobie Aeropress, and a GSI folding drip cone. I'll probably never settle on just one thing, but lately I most often reach for the GSI drip cone primarily for its cleanup convenience and semi-light weight. Flavorwise, the small GSI espresso maker makes the best coffee of all that I've used and I slightly prefer the MSR Mugmate over drip if I remember to grind the coffee beans coarse.

Back