Cedar Mesa Brocation

My brothers and I are planning our first annual brocation in early April (ps you are all invited and dont really need to be a bro!) I am a cedar mesa newbie and hopefully some of you experts can point me in the right direction. Here are some parameters
  • group will be in decent hiking shape
  • comfortable with scrambling but not tons of exposure,
  • looking for photogenic ruins/granaries (thats for me!), interesting petroglyph/pictograph panels
  • day hikes (dont have backpacking gear for my city dwelling brothers)
  • looking for good car camping spots
This is a rough idea I have come up with please help with suggestions, thoughts, etc none of these plans are set in stone
Wed- Arrive late, set up camp near mule canyon (any ideas on where to camp)

Thurs AM Hike Mule Canyon (House on Fire Ruin being the main destination)
Thurs PM option A- Moonhouse Ruin (depending on permits)
option B- Comb Ridge Canyons (Monarch Cave, Wolfman Panel, Procession Panel)

Friday- Sheik Canyon-Bullet Canyon loop

Saturday-AM Road Canyon (Fallen Roof Ruins)
Saturday PM- Drive home...any suggestions of easy to see things off the main road (valley of gods, muley point, goosenecks state park? )
Saturday late afternoon- Horseshoe Bend

Any tips or pointers? Things I have planned which I should avoid? things I should see? and help finding car camping spots.

I'll be down there car camping with a buddy March 23-25. There is a must see ruin in Upper South Mule Canyon(same canyon as House on Fire is in). It's up canyon from House on Fire but I'm not sure how far as I've never gone to it from House on Fire. I've only visited it by entering the canyon directly across from where the ruin is. PM me and I can give you GPS beta for it and a couple other nearby ruins. Also, another cool ruin to check out in Road canyon is The Citadel. Seven Kivas is in that same canyon as well. I posted a trip report from a visit to Cedar Mesa last year that might give you some info/ideas.

http://www.backcountrypost.com/forum/threads/cedar-mesa-january-2011.99/

I'll be down there car camping with a buddy March 23-25. There is a must see ruin in Upper South Mule Canyon(same canyon as House on Fire is in). It's up canyon from House on Fire but I'm not sure how far as I've never gone to it from House on Fire. I've only visited it by entering the canyon directly across from where the ruin is. PM me and I can give you GPS beta for it and a couple other nearby ruins. Also, another cool ruin to check out in Road canyon is The Citadel. Seven Kivas is in that same canyon as well. I posted a trip report from a visit to Cedar Mesa last year that might give you some info/ideas.

http://www.backcountrypost.com/forum/threads/cedar-mesa-january-2011.99/

I have read your TR its awesome! Have any beta for the citadel? How far of a hike as I have a long drive to get home saturday night! :D

Back