Camera bag for hiking?

I have a Lowepro (can't remember the model) but it has a main compartment my brick of a 5D MkIII fits in as well as a ton of other stuff, plus two lens compartments on the side, all padded. It also has a lid compartment, compartments on the waist belt and a space for a camel bak. It's very comfortable, I've had 4 lenses at a time plus my camera in it on long hikes. The only drag is having to take it off and pull everything out you need for shots, but most of my shots are planned so I'd be stopping and doing this anyway. It functions as a daypack so I don't need a separate camera bag. I've got it on in my avatar shot.

Thanks for the feedback as well. I had been looking for something as well. I'm with @Cool Danish when it comes to using a backpack and trying to access my camera. I am going to check out the Clik Elite.

If you haven't looked at them, check out Temba Messenger Wraps... And then use whatever bag you want.

I just spent two weeks actively shooting in Colombia with my 5d carabinered to the d rings on my pack straps. That worked beautifully. Used the business end if an r strap (screw and ring) to connect to the carabiner. This is now my preferred method by far.

abate5y5.jpg
. Here you go...

That's an fstop Loka I'm carrying, but this would work with almost any pack. Corcora Valley Colombia.

I ended up buying the Lowepro Toploader 75AW. I took it out for the first time on a backpacking trip up to Naturalist Basin. There are a lot of things that I like and some that I don't care for.

Pros:
  • The overall feel with the sling and waist belt is great for everyday shooting
  • The harness is comfortable (even with a backpack on over top of it) and handy to rest your arms on to stabilize your shots (top open or closed)
  • The additional pockets and pouches makes it very handy to have the essentials readily available
  • The velcro pads to be able to customize for your camera and setup
  • The bag is well built
  • The ability to add an extra lens case to the side of the bag
Cons:
  • The sling rests nicely, but since there is not an upper support belt (chest), anytime you lean over to a certain degree, you risk losing the contents of your bag when the top is not secure
  • The weatherproof cover is great, but a little challenging to put on as you have to remove all of the straps. If you think it may rain, don't second guess yourself. Go ahead and put the cover on
Additional thoughts:
  • It takes just a little bit of time getting used to the reduced visibility of having the bag in the front of you, but I easily got used to it
  • I have a Canon t51 with the 18-135 lens. I bought this bigger bag so as I add on bigger lenses and look to upgrade my camera, I would already have a bag large enough for this
  • If you're backpacking, use a/the clip system/rig one so you can secure your bag to your backpack. This will eliminate the bag from slipping down and laying forward
  • If you think there might be a chance of rain, put the weatherproof cover on before your start for the day
  • I also just purchased the Manfrotto Pixi (mini tripod). I left that attached to the camera and simply snapped the bags buckle closed each time to secure the camera without needing to remove the tripod (I decided not to take my full size tripod on this trip)
  • This being my first trip out with the bag, minus a couple of easy mods, I would purchase this bag again
Here are a couple of pics a friend took via cellphone:
During our day hike around Naturalist Basin. Also using the top pouch of my backpack for a day pack
10695426_10204534862993711_2139063347_n.jpg

I put the L/P straps under my backpacks chest strap and then we rigged the L/P straps into the loops on my pack harness which helped a lot.
20140904-IMG_4675.jpg