Votes: 14 43.8%
  • Sony

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Other

Votes: 3 9.4%

• Total voters

Nick

-
Miss Buffalo's discussion about switching from Nikon to Canon got me thinking. I'm really curious what brand of SLR camera everyone uses. Do not answer the poll based on your point and shoot cameras, only answer for you SLR, if you shoot with one.

I use a Nikon D90 for a few years, but right now I'm not sure if I will stay with Nikon.
They have great cameras and really great lenses, but somehow it's really difficult to get a camera body of the newer models

I use a Nikon D90 for a few years, but right now I'm not sure if I will stay with Nikon.
They have great cameras and really great lenses, but somehow it's really difficult to get a camera body of the newer models
You may be having a hard time finding Nikon bodies because of a flood that apparently happened in October that caused a lot of damage to their factory that assembles the DX format SLR camera bodies. I do still see the D7000 at retail locations around my area.
I had also considered switching to Canon but stayed with Nikon because I had so much invested in speed lights etc.

You may be having a hard time finding Nikon bodies because of a flood that apparently happened in October that caused a lot of damage to their factory that assembles the DX format SLR camera bodies. I do still see the D7000 at retail locations around my area.
I had also considered switching to Canon but stayed with Nikon because I had so much invested in speed lights etc.

oh, okay, that's the reason. But they could produce at least one for me. :)
Funny thing is even our retail stores are not having any new Nikon camera models. It's absolutely insane.
At first I wondered about Adorama, Beach Camera, B&H and all the camera stores, but then I couldn't even believe they are running short of Nikon cameras in the different retail stores.
Usually I wouldn't care and wait patiently, but now I need something soon. I cannot rely on my old D90 anymore, it sometimes doesn't work for days. :(

Hopefully I can find something this weekend, either Nikon or a complete switch to Canon will be fine.

Yeah.. I am just dinking around with my old D80 still.... I still don't necessarily like digital or cameras with auto anything.. then again I spent a lot of years hermit-ed away in my dark room developing stuff I shot with a Nikon FM-t

Did you see my post in the 5dmkIII thread about this? www.keh.com has two D700s and four D7000s(one of them is new) listed on their website.

I shoot Canon because when I got my first DSLR Canon cameras were far superior to Nikon in their low light capabilities and I got the camera to shoot weddings. Now, I have so much Canon glass that I don't think I'll ever change but Nikon does make some nice cameras.

Did you see my post in the 5dmkIII thread about this? www.keh.com has two D700s and four D7000s(one of them is new) listed on their website.

thanks for your link, I saw it this morning. And I almost ordered a D7000 there.
But I have good news: I was able to get a D7000 in a tiny little camera store here in Buffalo. They ordered 3 of them and they will arrive on Wednesday.
Really cool, so I will have my camera and the price was really good as well.

But I guess I'll use your link to shop for another prime lens. :)

thanks for your link, I saw it this morning. And I almost ordered a D7000 there.
But I have good news: I was able to get a D7000 in a tiny little camera store here in Buffalo. They ordered 3 of them and they will arrive on Wednesday.
Really cool, so I will have my camera and the price was really good as well.

But I guess I'll use your link to shop for another prime lens. :)
I have a D7000 and I love it. You will really like the two SD card slots and the new autofocus system. I have only found two things that I don't like. They are the exposure bracketing which only allows 3 shots, however you can use the two user program settings to get unto 9. The other thing I found was when you do star trails and lock the cable release button down to do consecutive pictures it will only do 100 pictures then it stops. Overall the D7000 is a great body.

I have a D7000 and I love it. You will really like the two SD card slots and the new autofocus system. I have only found two things that I don't like. They are the exposure bracketing which only allows 3 shots, however you can use the two user program settings to get unto 9. The other thing I found was when you do star trails and lock the cable release button down to do consecutive pictures it will only do 100 pictures then it stops. Overall the D7000 is a great body.

I can't wait to have mine on Wednesday and test it.
I'm ordering new lenses right now and trade in my old ones. :)
What about the battery life of the camera?

The replacement batteries are on backorder as well, like almost everything from Nikon. :devil:
But I found a local store where I can buy a few, so I will definitely have a back up for my next backpacking trips.

Canon cameras please me. I am really loving my 60D that I got 4 months ago. Nick knows what I am talking about.

I can't wait to have mine on Wednesday and test it.
I'm orodering new lenses right now and trade in my old ones. :)
What about the battery life of the camera?

The replacement batteries are on backorder as well, like almost everything from Nikon. :devil:
But I found a local store where I can buy a few, so I will definitely have a back up for my next backpacking trips.
I have had my camera since December and I have found the battery life to be very good. It will go about 700 to 800 pictures on one charge.

Iam still using my Nikon D40 I have had no need to upgrade. Its lite and battery out lasts me every time. That said its getting a little old and the image quality has come so far. I was looking at the Nikon 3200 it's cheep, super lite and has some impressive image quality. But Im pretty sure I want to go up to full frame
So I'm socking money away for the D800.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

I use a Canon 1DS MkII, I have always used Canons (except for my Panasonic DMC-L1, lovely camera and amazing Leica lens), I don't really have a good reason other than Canon makes the best architectural lens (IMO) in the 17mm TS-E, and it rarely leaves my camera when I work. The body is a little heavy and I am not getting younger, so I am looking at something lighter for backpacking, probably micro 4/3's.
Greg

I use a Nikon D5100, really like it. Only issue that has come up is it doesn't have a built in autofocus motor, however most lenses have the motor built in. It is compact enough to bring along in the pack.

I use a Panasonic Lumix G3, mirrorless, micro 4/3, not as compact as a point and shoot camera but still light, small and comfortable to carry. Quality of the pictures is much better than what you get from a Canon G12. I wouldn't change this camera with any Canon or Nikon in the consumer range (models without full frame sensor).

Well, my 1DS II shutter stopped. So I bought a 5d II. Pretty stoked. Live view!!!!
Greg

Nikon for me!

From wnorton using an iPad and Tapatalk HD.

I use a Nikon D5100, really like it. Only issue that has come up is it doesn't have a built in autofocus motor, however most lenses have the motor built in. It is compact enough to bring along in the pack.
I have the same camera and I'm liking it a lot! I just bought mine this past spring. Have you bought any additional lenses for it yet?

I only have the kit lens and a 55-200 now, looking hard at a wide angle, either the nikon 10-20 or tokina 11-16 f2.8. Or possibly the nikon 10.5 fisheye. Then there is the 35 f1.8. Have you bought any?