Boats... to rent or buy?

I am pretty close to pulling trigger on a new canoe(finding a decent used one or even new around here is close to impossible).
My primary use case is exploring all the lakes around here(uintas and such) and canoe camping( sawtooth, even tetons, yellowstone) occasional trips like labyrinth canyon, lees ferry and such. I am keyed it on Prospector model, supposedly do it all canoe, not great at any one thing but good for lot of things.
Edit: 2 dogs is another main reason for going with a canoe.

I'll contact them and see what they say about a group buy, unless you think you have more pull as the site owner nick.

I'd probably go with just the Alpaca. If I get two, the other one would probably be the Yukon.

ha. my contact was Nancy Halls, the customer services/sales rep. "friends" might be a stretch...but she was very interested when I mentioned spreading the word about Alpackas in the southeast. I know one of the former Directors of the Great Old Broads For Wilderness, I think that helped. They do seem reasonably priced, most quality duckies/IK's cost over $1000. Packrafts are more versatile.

I was just telling Audra I was thinking about buying a packraft and she steered me back on the idea of purchasing more of a 'family boat' for us to go do camping trips on Powell, etc. I believe they call it a 'Party Barge'. :)

For some reason I was thinking they were around 3.5, but it looks likt they're closer to 4.8lbs. Plus paddles at ~ 2 lbs. I do like how sturdy they are though.

haha, nice. I'll keep you guys posted with what alpacka says.

Boy, you REALLY shouldn't have told her about this discussion!

Are you kidding me? I'm STOKED to have a boat! Not really into the watersports so we're looking to get a pontoon. Relatively cheap to buy, run and maintain and plenty of room for all the dogs to run around. Strap the kayaks to the side and go exploring...