What vehicle should I buy?

Christian

My vehicle was recently totaled in an accident (I wasn't in the vehicle when it happened). It was awful since it was a 2014 with 5,000 miles. Don't ask. Luckily insurance covered it and I'm close(ish) to where I started financially.

Anyhow, I have to replace it if I want to have transportation, rental is over as of this afternoon. Considering that I like backcountry roads, but am somewhat (not majorly) concerned with MPG what suggestions do you all have? I don't want to influence your suggestions by telling you all what I'm considering or what was totaled. I just want new ideas and see what you all have enjoyed. Budget is $33,000 on the very highest end. Thanks in advance for ideas, go...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I could have my practical but off road vehicle I would get a Tacoma. But I am not as knowlegable about these things as others on this board. But you asked. I recently settled on an older 4runner and love her.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Everyone's going to have their favorites, just like a favorite sport team. Here are my opinions (which others will surely disagree with).

I have a strong mechanical background. I work on my own cars, and I only take them to the mechanic when I don't have the time or patience to do a particular job. I've owned over 40 vehicles.

I know they cost a bit more, but in my opinion Japanese vehicles can't be beat, especially Honda and Toyota. My recommendations are based on reliability as being the most important factor, followed by capability.

My advice: buy used. You lose about 10-20% of a brand new vehicle's resale the moment you drive it off the lot. This is true even with hondas and toyotas, which have incredible resale value. When I say Hondas and Toyotas, that includes Acuras and Lexus.

What's your definition of backcountry roads? Boulders and rocks in the middle of the trail, or smooth dirt roads?

If you're doing lots of 4-lo rugged roads with rocks the size of cantaloupes or bigger, I recommend the following:

- Toyota Land Cruiser (super expensive, probably overkill for what you need. However, super reliable and super tough/bulletproof)
- Toyota Tundra
- Toyota Tacoma
- Toyota Seqoia
- Toyota 4runner
- Toyota fj cruiser (though I don't care for their suicide rear doors or their huge blind spots)
- Nissan Titan

If you're doing dirt roads that will never require 4-low (going slower than 3 mph), I recommend:

- honda CRV
- Toyota Rav 4
- honda accord crosstrek

Subarus can be great if they have low miles, but a lot of them have expensive head problems when they reach 130-160k.

One brand that I would avoid like the plague is a Land Rover/Range Rover. They need repairs often, and when they do, they're super expensive. I would not want to take one into the backcountry. Thousands of people do, but with their history of readability issues, it would really worry me.

Other brands I would personally avoid are Audi, VW, BMW. They are beautiful cars with some great engineering, but repairs are very costly and difficult to do yourself.

I really like the vehicles ford has been putting out in the last 5 years. Add the explorer sport track to your list.

I'm not a huge dodge/jeep fan personally, but they have some great models for the price. The new motors in the new jeep jks have quite a few problems.

I'd also stay away from Kias. I'm not a huge fan of Hyundais either, but they are far better than Kias.

Other vehicles I'd toss in for consideration:
- ford escape or mazda tribute (same vehicle)
- mitsubishi outlander
- ford explorer sport track

Last edited:
I've had a 4runner with 340k miles with no issues, a 4runner with 180k with no issues, and I currently have a tacoma with 235k with zero issues. I've taken it all over the state and it has never left me stranded or failed to start, and I take it on HARD offroad trips.

I bought a 2012 Ford Escape last fall, I've put 20,000+ miles on it in the six months since I bought it, and so far it's done great in deep sand, over rocks, and highway mileage is about 28-30 mpg. It was a rental car the dealer bought at auction, and because it was the end of the year I got a great price, too. I picked the 2012 because Consumer Reports rated it one of the most reliable used cars in its class. Avoid the 2013 Escape, recall city!

And best of all, Steve rode in my car and gave it his seal of approval. :cool:

Toyota FJ's getting axed this year. Titan gets way crappy gas mileage. I have had Nissan's for years. Currently Xterra and Frontier. Been all over in both, gravel, Moab trails (Steelbender, Fins, Poision Spider, Kane crk, Golden Spike . Never let me down, 80K and 95K on them. Newer ones get mileage in the 20s.

Bought a V8 Silverado (LHM) in Oct 2012. Got it out the door, 90% completely loaded, 6yr warranty on everything, taxes for $33K. Its a comfy truck. Can't say on hardcore 4x4 but gravel is decent. Best highway I have gotten is 23mpg going back and forth to Island Park. Worst is 19 mpg. I don't drive 55 on the highway either. Around town 18mpg...... I can live with that.

Personally, Toyota and Ford are overrated and overpriced.

Also, a good website I use to check the real-world MPG of a vehicle is fuelly.com. You can't trust the EPA estimates.

Thanks for the fuelly website link Steve. So I pretty much have tunnel vision for the Tacoma. I love the look and the capabilities. How has the MPG on your Taco with 235k treated your wallet? Also access cab or double cab? 4 or 6 cylinder?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Checked out the fuelly site........I must have got a good truck, my mpg is way above that. The worst I have ever got was from Boise to Seattle at 65mph was 17mpg........matching my 6 cylinder Frontier. Lot of up and down.

So I pretty much have tunnel vision for the Tacoma. I love the look and the capabilities. How has the MPG on your Taco with 235k treated your wallet? Also access cab or double cab? 4 or 6 cylinder?

I absolutely love tacomas. I've owned 3 now and they've all been fantastic. My current tacoma is so modified that it doesn't really make for a good comparison to other tacomas.

I have a v6 doublecab, but it's got armor, a lift, 35" tires, different gears in the differentials, locking differentials, a snorkel, winch, frame reinforcements, trans cooler, on-board shower, and I stay on top of the maintenance really well. I had a bad TPS (throttle position sensor) and I was still getting 17 mpg. When I changed the TPS out two months ago, I started getting 20.5 mpg again, which is incredible for what my truck is. This is hands-down the best vehicle I've ever owned.

DSCN1327.jpg

IMG_20140208_093750_789.jpg

IMG_5307.JPG

i-dxZmqmn-X2.jpg

A 4runner shares the same engine, transmission, and suspension, and they're quite a bit cheaper. However, I love having the truck bed. I had a buddy with a 4runner with 370k on it with zero problems. I've heard of the newer tacomas getting 400k+ with zero major issues.

A jacked up Taco looks cool, but are you really going to use it? I rarely see lifted trucks at any of the trailheads I go to, and I have been all over the state. I have an Xterra and the main reason why I bought it was because two people under 6ft can sleep comfortably in the back. The rear seats fold flat. If you camp in adverse weather like I do, not having to deal with a tent when you are camping near your vehicle is a huge bonus.

The Off-Road Xterra version has locking rear differentials and they get ~21mpg.

Since no one else has recommended it....I'm going to have to say a Jeep JK Unlimited :) Always gets me where I want to go and back. Can drive fast on rough roads and cruise comfortably at 80+ MPH on the interstate. Never have to worry about how rough a road to the trailhead is.

There is a old thread on kinda this topic: Backcountry Vehicle.
Whatever truck you buy, put LT series tires on it NOT P series tires. The LT ones resist cuts better......
You don't need to xtreme build a truck. My Frontier on Poision Spider, 2" body lift, good shocks, stiffer torsion bar, size larger off road tires, side skids, LSD rear. Wife's Xterra on Fin's, 2" body lift, stiffer torsion bars, larger off road tires, LSD front/rear, side skids, good shocks. Both have been on some tuff trails at Moab.
PoisonSpider-Bru1.jpg Xterra.jpg

I am unfortunately stuck in 4 door sedan land, and probably will be for the foreseeable future, but when I was doing my research for a new vehicle, I had pretty much decided on an xterra. Very capable, comfortable, will get you just about anywhere you would want to go, reasonably priced, and comfortable to sleep in.

If I was single I would probably get a Subaru Crosstrek. Very practical around town car, and surprisingly quite capable off road, it would get me just about everywhere I wanted it to.

I've been happy with my '14 Subaru Forester... good mileage & decent ground clearance. Plenty of room to sleep in the back as well.
A better set of all-terrain tires really helped in the back county

Attachments

• photo (9).JPG
    photo (9).JPG
    133 KB · Views: 30
I have a Toyota Tundra and a Subaru Tribeca. I love them both.

No offense to ms Buffalo, she's one of my favorite people. After all the expensive repairs she has been through at such low mileage, I would be wary of an xterra.

Last edited: