Backcountry Vehicles

You had to be following someone to get this distribution. No? I have always had a clean front end while in the lead.

Nope. It was mostly from a VERY long unavoidable mud puddle out on the Spur Road. The kind you can't go slow through. It got me pretty good on the way in, but on the way out it was like a total blackout. I couldn't even see where I was going for the last 50 feet gunning through it. Good times.

I heard that the titan is getting the Cummins this year. I'm not a huge fan of nissan, but I like them a lot better than dodge. If they did get the cummins, that'd be my choice, with the tundra in a close second.

The guy from ujoint offroad, who sells the lift kit I have on my van, has been talking with nissan engineers a lot. They have about 5 or 6 nv vans driving around with the Cummins in it. They stick them in the vans so they'd be camouflage/undetectable, cuz most people would notice a titan with a diesel in it. Supposedly the vans and the titans will share the same motor, frame, and many other parts, so it's a perfect way to test the Cummins without actually having to put it in the truck. I don't know when they'll be released, but the titan and the nv van will definitely get the Cummins. I hear it's early next year, but that probably means waiting another year for them to hit the market.

I like the ecoboost fords. DAA and I have a friend with one and he is very pleased with it.

If you do opt for new tires, I strongly recommend the new bfg all terrain (ko2). I hate the ko1, but the new ko2 has some great improvements, and they're snowflake rated.

I need to do more research, but i seem to recall the trd off road trim in the tundra wasn't much different. On the tacos there is a huge difference, but on the tundra i think it's just some shock absorbers, wheels, and an exhaust tip (and the sticker of course). I could be wrong though.

The diesel Titan has supposed to have become available a few different times already and keeps getting delayed. It was announced as a '15 model, but now is slated as a '16. Never a good sign. And yes, it's a Cummins, but it's a brand new one with no track record. The Titan has never been on my list of contenders, it just lacks too much in just about every category, compared to the competition. The all new XD with the Cummins is supposed to change all that. And very well may. It's still all speculation though.

I've owned several diesels. They are awesome for what they are awesome at. But, to me, MPG is not a good reason to get one. Unless you do a lot of miles, and I mean a lot, towing, you'll never make up the purchase price premium in fuel savings. Especially since diesel fuel prices occasionally spike to unreal levels. I still remember $170 fill-ups when it hit $5 a gallon (here in Salt Lake) about ten years ago.

That said, you can generally count on getting back most of the additional cost when you sell. They do hold their value better than gas models. There is some large brand differences here too though - which, if you only plan on keeping a diesel for three or four years, it might pay to research. Rams with the Cummins and GMC's with the Duramax have traditionally done MUCH better than any Ford diesel offering in this regard. The Fords cost about $5- $7K more new, but go for about $5K less used.

Whether this resale strength will apply to the new breed of half ton diesels, remains to be seen. But, personally, I just don't think the Ram 1500 Eco Diesel actually makes much sense for any but a very few buyers. As a long time diesel owner and fan in general, it didn't take me long to cross it off my list when buying a new truck. Simply put, the math just doesn't add up, for my purposes and intended ownership. The Titan is going to be quite different, making a lot more power and having much higher tow/haul ratings than the Ram. If it lives up to the hype, it's going to be a beast of a half ton and a game changer. But, it's still vaporware at this point and I'm pretty jaded on pre-launch hype. Would not be an early adopter on this one, personally.

You're a Toyota guy Nick. Just get a Toyota. It's what Toyota guys do. Simple.

BTW... I'm running the KO2's on my Toyota and love them! I also have the Duratrac on my Ram 1500. Have a lot more miles on the D-tracs at this point and no complaints. The KO2's are quieter and smoother, but also less aggressive. Bit of a trade off, but might sway a person one way or the other.

- DAA

You're a Toyota guy Nick. Just get a Toyota. It's what Toyota guys do. Simple.

I think I needed to hear that.

Great points about it being a new engine too. Even if it did come out this year it probably would be better to give it a while. Lots of great info. Thanks, Dave.

I need to do more research, but i seem to recall the trd off road trim in the tundra wasn't much different. On the tacos there is a huge difference, but on the tundra i think it's just some shock absorbers, wheels, and an exhaust tip (and the sticker of course). I could be wrong though.

I think you're right. From what I've read maybe not going TRD and just doing the Limited might be a smoother ride. But would that then be rougher on dirt? And is there anything bad with running 20" wheels in an off-road application?

If you do get new tires, I've been very happy with the new KO2's too. Costco has a great price and frequently has a $70 coupon. They ride much better than the KO's.

They still have them. Give them a call. I think I only paid $850 or so for 10 ply. The price surprised me.

Last edited:
Fixed the price above - accidentally hit the 7 on my phone. All of my other quotes were $1100 too.

Bummer. Must be the size difference. I just checked the receipt and they were $850 mounted and balanced. Cheaper than what I paid for the KO'S there. If your truck had a longer bed I'd be interested.

I was $950 out the door with road hazard certs on 4 265/75-16 KO2's at Discount.

Regarding 20" wheels, offload... Yeah, they suck. It's what my Ram came with. The issue is lack of sidewall. Makes for a rougher, less compliant ride, necessitates running full street pressure and if you push things a bit as I tend to do greatly increases the risk of pinch flats.

Compared to a 16 or 17 inch wheel, with the same tire height, where you have lots of pillowy soft sidewall goodness for smoother more compliant ride, the ability to air down safely for increased traction and flotation and even more pillowy smooth ride goodness, no danger of a pinch flat, etc.

There just isn't anything good about 20" wheels offload. Unless you are running 40" tires, of course. 20's are a total street thing.

- DAA

Think I have it all dialed in. Tundra Limited TRD with some useless add-ons that I'll probably have to sell off. Something called the 'exterior package' that includes stainless tube steps and a bed extender. I might give the tube steps a try but the bed extender looks stupid. One thing I'm wondering about is having them switch out the tires for BFG AT KO2's. It comes with Michelin LTX A/T2 P275/65R18's. They look okay, but I've been running BFG AT's for a long time. Anyone have any opinions on those Michelins?

Think I have it all dialed in. Tundra Limited TRD with some useless add-ons that I'll probably have to sell off. Something called the 'exterior package' that includes stainless tube steps and a bed extender. I might give the tube steps a try but the bed extender looks stupid. One thing I'm wondering about is having them switch out the tires for BFG AT KO2's. It comes with Michelin LTX A/T2 P275/65R18's. They look okay, but I've been running BFG AT's for a long time. Anyone have any opinions on those Michelins?
Whoa. Pic?

On the tires... I wouldn't count on the Michelin's being acceptable. Might as well count on selling them right away for your proven good BFG's. Plus many times my tire dealer's have given me a good price for my new stock tires in trade.

On the tube steps... You are going to rip them off anyway your first rock crawl. Plus think of your credibility hit you'll take with the pics here and elsewhere on the web. :scatman:

And, lastly, go look at what just won MT Truck of the Year again for the second time in a row.

Reactions: DAA
Whoa. Pic?

No pics because it doesn't actually exist yet. I had to ogle a white one as they didn't have my color of choice in-stock. Mine doesn't even begin production until later this week and won't arrive at the dealer until mid-late December. Merry Christmas to me! But the pic below is basically what it would look like. The running boards are a little different though. The one they have coming has brushed stainless step boards.

I have the same inclination on the tires. They are happy to swap them out for me for whatever I want but they haven't given me a price on that yet. The Michelins did look okay on the white one I looked at, but not as mean looking as the BFGs. Reviews on Tire Rack seem to give the BFGs a slight edge but not huge.

I'm also going to add in remote start (won't fit in my garage) and a 3-piece folding tonneau. I like sleeping under the full tonneau but a folding one seems a bit more functional overall.

2014-toyota-tundra-limited-trd-4x4-off-road-front-view.jpg