Backcountry Vehicles

What are some beginner friendly trails/sites to hit in Utah? :D

Congrats. Try skyline drive (near fairview), the swell (like nick mentioned), the white rim trail (canyonlands), long canyon in moab, the kokopelli trail, and anything else on the utah backcountry discovery route.

Figured I should post my rig. We love it!
be37769e388e8cb53101b5142e8b563a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Figured I should post my rig. We love it!
be37769e388e8cb53101b5142e8b563a.jpg

Yes! Another van. Awesome. If you ever want to convert it to 4wd, check out ujoint offroad. Be warned: it's expensive and addictive. I'm in the middle of installing a ujoint suspension on my van this week.

Yes! Another van. Awesome. If you ever want to convert it to 4wd, check out ujoint offroad. Be warned: it's expensive and addictive. I'm in the middle of installing a ujoint suspension on my van this week.
Duly noted! I would love to down the line. The question is hiw addictive. I like to walk the line between therapeutic and destructive behavior.

Does yours have the v8 or the 4.0? Nice rig.
4.0L I went with the V6 for the "fuel efficiency" haha... I don't really need to tow anything so I went with the smaller displacement.

I saw this in the Tuweep campground in the Grand Canyon on Sunday. Looks pretty bad ass, except I'm not sure how I feel about tents on vehicles. It makes it so you can't just hop in and go someplace and leave camp setup. In fact, on my way out, I saw these guys hiking back from the overlook. It's not a bad walk, a bit under a mile round trip, but that early in the morning you can bet I'd be driving down.

camper-tank-tent.jpg

It was a very muddy weekend out in The Roost. I don't think I've ever gotten such even mud coverage before. Almost made it like desert camouflage. I usually hate getting a bunch of mud on my truck, but this I was okay with.

IMG_9561.jpg

@slc_dan making it street legal for the drive home from Green River:
IMG_0158.jpg

But as much as I love my Tundra, I realized on this last trip that I have to either buy new tires ($1100) or buy a new truck within the next month or two, and as silly as it may sound to some, I'm leaning toward the new truck, but Toyota failed to follow through on the rumor that they'd be putting a Cummins turbo diesel in the '16 Tundra so my stokeometer is not as high as it would be otherwise. I've been shopping around the other brands and I just can't get too excited about them. The Ram may be loaded with goodies, but I hate the look. Hate. Ford and Chevy aren't as bad but still, there's just something about them that inspires zero car lust in me. They look too much like a farm truck. Maybe it's because I grew up in Cache Valley and that's all the farmers drove? Sometimes I think I could do an F150, but then... not so much. I'm thinking about a 2016 Tundra Limited Crew Cab with the TRD Off Road package, but I figured I ought to post here in case some of you guys that follow this stuff more closely might have better advice or have heard other rumors. Like @DAA or @steve perhaps...

Almost made it like desert camouflage. I usually hate getting a bunch of mud on my truck, but this I was okay with.

You should sell vinyl wraps for trucks in that color, for all the posers.

You should sell vinyl wraps for trucks in that color, for all the posers.

Ha! I was so pleased with the distribution of mud on my sunroof that I've left the shade open since. It's often too bright wide open, but with a splattering of mud it was perfect. We were talking about selling vinyl to cover sunroof glass in simulated mud. But the whole vehicle... genius!

It was a very muddy weekend out in The Roost. I don't think I've ever gotten such even mud coverage before. Almost made it like desert camouflage. I usually hate getting a bunch of mud on my truck, but this I was okay with.

View attachment 36363

View attachment 36362

But as much as I love my Tundra, I realized on this last trip that I have to either buy new tires ($1100) or buy a new truck within the next month or two, and as silly as it may sound to some, I'm leaning toward the new truck, but Toyota failed to follow through on the rumor that they'd be putting a Cummins turbo diesel in the '16 Tundra so my stokeometer is not as high as it would be otherwise. I've been shopping around the other brands and I just can't get too excited about them. The Ram may be loaded with goodies, but I hate the look. Hate. Ford and Chevy aren't as bad but still, there's just something about them that inspires zero car lust in me. They look too much like a farm truck. Maybe it's because I grew up in Cache Valley and that's all the farmers drove? Sometimes I think I could do an F150, but then... not so much. I'm thinking about a 2016 Tundra Limited Crew Cab with the TRD Off Road package, but I figured I ought to post here in case some of you guys that follow this stuff more closely might have better advice or have heard other rumors. Like @DAA or @steve perhaps...
We upgraded to the 4Runner from our Taco and it is hands down the best truck I've ever owned - off road and on road (Trail Edition with KDSS). We tow 2,500# pounds with it too. It is my wife's 8th Toyota truck in a row so truck-momma won't stray from Toyota. That said, the Ram with the new Fiat diesel was a compelling alternative due to the 25+ mpg. And so was the new Chevy Colorado for similar reasons. Unfortunately the Ram with the diesel outfitted like we want it would be $55K+ so that is not happening.

View attachment 36363

View attachment 36362

View attachment 36363

View attachment 36362

I think you are going to have to put new shoes on it anyway to sell it, no?

You probably want to change out your cabin and engine air filter soon. :)

Ha! I was so pleased with the distribution of mud on my sunroof that I've left the shade open since. It's often too bright wide open, but with a splattering of mud it was perfect. We were talking about selling vinyl to cover sunroof glass in simulated mud. But the whole vehicle... genius!
You had to be following someone to get this distribution. No? I have always had a clean front end while in the lead.

I think you are going to have to put new shoes on it anyway to sell it, no?

Nah. I'll trade it in. They might dock me, but 3 out of 4 tires still have 6 months in them. Hopefully they don't notice the front right when they do the trade-in eval.

We upgraded to the 4Runner from our Taco and it is hands down the best truck I've ever owned - off road and on road (Trail Edition with KDSS). We tow 2,500# pounds with it too. It is my wife's 8th Toyota truck in a row so truck-momma won't stray from Toyota. That said, the Ram with the new Fiat diesel was a compelling alternative due to the 25+ mpg. And so was the new Chevy Colorado for similar reasons. Unfortunately the Ram with the diesel outfitted like we want it would be $55K+ so that is not happening.

Audra picked up a 4Runner earlier this year and we really dig it. My only complaint is that it's a little too much like a cockpit compared to the spaciousness of the Tundra. Good for most but as a big guy, I've really come to enjoy the big space. That and it's not as peppy as I'd like. I sure wish they'd kept the Venza alive. We were waiting for the next revision of that for Audra but then they killed it off. That thing was sweet. Ultimately, I have to stick with a big truck in case I want to drag the boat around for anything more than Ticaboo to Bullfrog. So no Colorado, Tacoma or 4Runner. But the fuel savings of the Ram or Ford with ecoboost is compelling. I hated the current Tundra look at first. Maybe I just need to stare at photos of F150s and Rams until they suddenly become sexy?