Zion questions....

Tater Head

Hoo are you looking at?
I'm planning a quick trip Escalante and then on to Zion the weekend of October 24-26. We are planing on crossing a couple of items off of my brother-in-laws bucket list. We will be leaving Malad the morning of the 24th for the seven hour drive to Escalante. The plan is to hang out the rest of the day Friday (maybe calf creek falls). Saturday will bring peek-a-boo, spooky and brimstone and whatever else we can find time for. Sunday's plan is to head down to Zion and check Angels Landing off of both of our lists and then make the nine hour drive for home. I was wondering if the Zion shuttle buses will still be hauling folks around or if we can drive right to the trail head? I have never been to Zion and I'm not sure what to expect. Any suggestion or help you can give would be a great help. Thanks

I will be in Zion that same weekend. I believe you still have to take the shuttle into the park until the first of November.

The shuttle will still be running and it is awesome. The best part about the shuttle is that you don't have to worry about parking. It will pick you up at the visitor's center and drop you off at the grotto. Then when you're done you don't have to drive for a bit, you can just sit back and relax. Angel's Landing is the iconic hike of Zion. I've done it many times and each time is great. That time of year might be just perfect for the fall colors. When the cottonwoods turn yellow the Main canyon is even more gorgeous. Have fun and enjoy the shuttle.

Thanks for the information.

Would it be realistic of me to think that I could make the 5 and a half hour drive from Malad, Idaho to Zion National Park (according to Google maps) hike up Angels Landing and still make it back to Escalante in the same day. I'm not sure how much time it will take to hike the Landing? I would love a whole day in Escalante to do Peek a Boo, Spooky,Brimstone and maybe Calf Creek Falls. Not sure if I'm trying to fit to much in to my short weekend. I just want to see as much as we can. Any suggestions...

Would it be realistic of me to think that I could make the 5 and a half hour drive from Malad, Idaho to Zion National Park (according to Google maps) hike up Angels Landing and still make it back to Escalante in the same day. I'm not sure how much time it will take to hike the Landing? I would love a whole day in Escalante to do Peek a Boo, Spooky,Brimstone and maybe Calf Creek Falls. Not sure if I'm trying to fit to much in to my short weekend. I just want to see as much as we can. Any suggestions...
OH...it is totally possible. Of course all the variables may take their toll on you. Drive time is not terribly quick from Zion to Escalante backcountry. You can definitely make it from Malad to the top of Angel's Landing rather quickly. Your hiking speed will be the biggest factor. It's 5 miles RT with quite a bit of elevation.

What am I saying...just do it. Get amped up on caffeine and sugar, then you'll be fine. :D

Long day -- but doable. You might run out of daylight driving as I'd say you are looking at 13-hour day.

Estimating 6hrs drive time to get into the park from Malad. Add an 1 hour for shuttle to trailhead and final prep. Maybe 3 hrs to enjoy the hike and then and another 3hrs to shuttle back to vehicle and then on to Escalante. Probably +/- 1.5hrs depending on how things go and how many extended stops for gas/food you have.

Thanks for your input, i sure appreciate it.There will be four of us to share the driving duties. The youngest in our group will be my 14 year old son and he can hike circles around me. I guess worst case is we camp outside of the park Friday night and make a run for Escalante Saturday morning. Any suggestions for outside the east end of the park.