Youtube Outdoor Videos

I wonder what happened to Dan Mccoy/Trekking the West. His sawtooths video is actually what inspired my first trip there years ago. He hasn't posted a new video in years.

I don't know either. I was going to get a route or two from him when he had his site up, but now that's all gone. I recently tried reaching out to him via his email through his Atlas Cider company site, but haven't gotten anything back from him. :(

Sheeeeeeite! 60 foot fall while climbing Castleton Tower:

Love the Weekend Whipper! That's quite the fall. Seeing his hands get all fumbly, and the sewing machine leg kicking, you can see he's about to fall.

I hope to climb that tower this year, but I'll hopefully get someone else to lead it.

Am I in the minority here? I have no interest in watching outdoor videos online? I like looking at photos and trip reports, but skip any video reports.

I like it all. Some trip reports are meh, some video reports are meh. It just depends on the quality of the job done. With the 4k cameras and drones that are out now some really amazing cinematography can be done for dirt cheap and really give an added dimension to the videos.

Am I in the minority here? I have no interest in watching outdoor videos online? I like looking at photos and trip reports, but skip any video reports.
I'm mostly in agreement. I'll watch videos that friends make or videos from places I'm very interested in visiting, but I don't usually go out of my way to watch others.

I like it all. Some trip reports are meh, some video reports are meh. It just depends on the quality of the job done. With the 4k cameras and drones that are out now some really amazing cinematography can be done for dirt cheap and really give an added dimension to the videos.

It's not necessarily the quality....I just don't have the attention span to want to sit and watch a video of someone else's adventure.

i'm exactly the same. even well done videos i can't do. i think a big part of it for me is not being in control of the pace of taking the information in. with a report you can scroll and stop as needed. more difficult with the video.

i have watched videos from river trips though, because you can't get the same sense of what running a rapid looks like from still images.

i'm exactly the same. even well done videos i can't do. i think a big part of it for me is not being in control of the pace of taking the information in. with a report you can scroll and stop as needed. more difficult with the video.

i have watched videos from river trips though, because you can't get the same sense of what running a rapid looks like from still images.

That's a great way of putting it. That said, I still like documenting many of my trips with video in addition to all the pics I take on my trips and then coming back and editing. But then, I've always enjoyed video editing and building out a story that way. It can be time consuming though, both to edit, and to watch. I'm very selective about watching anything that goes beyond 20 minutes to a half hour. Usually it must be something done by a good friend or from someone else I know that does a good job with their videos at showing off incredible landscapes, maintains good pace, and tells good stories...and even then, I can often only manage to watch it in small chunks.

Still, there are a lot of great videos out there that are 3-5 minutes in length, about the same time it takes to read through many trip reports. I equally enjoy write-ups too though and so I enjoy sharing both formats and consuming both formats. As evidenced in this thread though, there are certainly people who have a preference for one format over the other. I think both mediums, still photography(+words) and video each boast their own unique set of strengths that's can't be captured and portrayed well by the other.

I watch videos on various topics early in the morning while sipping my coffee and waking up. I am a slow mover in the mornings. I prefer videos 10 min or less. I love stuff that inspire me to get out, spark my interest in something new or make me laugh. It beats watching the news.

Lately I watch a lot of videos on how to mountain bike. Not because I don't know how but because I am teaching middle school and high school kids how to ride. So I watch hoping to find great ways to explain what I have learned but lack the finesse in explaining how to do it.

I need to start watching some vids on van conversions and trailer conversions to get motivated to work on my own project. It is sitting in the drive way waiting for me to get going. But I need inspiration.

As for written trip reports with pics. I pretty much just look at the pics and skim the story. Occasionally if the writer is really compelling I will read the entire report. I am always amazed when someone reads my full. report. And I do appreciate it. I just don't have a lot of time to sit and read one myself. But I LOVE all the photos in anyone's report.

Videos get skipped if they don't keep my attention. And again most of my watching is done early morning for about 45 min while I sip my cup a joe and wake up. Except the Hiker from Estonia...Sarah and I did a marathon video blog night and laughed and related to much of what she talked about but we are women. I am sure to a guy it is not as relatable.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk