Your Outdoor Site

Ben

The Creator 's anniversary post, and the picture of the original site got me thinking. I know a lot of the members here have their own blog, or some site chronicling their out door excursions. I've seen a number of links in people's signatures. I've looked at a few of them. But i thought that it would be cool if people shared their sites all in one place, like, for example, this thread. Feel free to comment a link to your site here. Feel free to tell us any thing that you want about it. And/or your experience developing it. Or to not say any thing at all about it.

The Creator 's anniversary post, and the picture of the original site got me thinking. I know a lot of the members here have their own blog, or some site chronicling their out door excursions. I've seen a number of links in people's signatures. I've looked at a few of them. But i thought that it would be cool if people shared their sites all in one place, like, for example, this thread. Feel free to comment a link to your site here. Feel free to tell us any thing that you want about it. And/or your experience developing it. Or to not say any thing at all about it.
I only post here - my photography, my trips and my experience.

OK, I guess I'll start. If you don't know, I post all of my trip reports and photos over on ADVENTR.CO

I've been running this particular site since 2011, but many of the trips before that point were posted on my old blog at myXJ.net which was started back in 2002 as just a personal blog and is retired now. The trip reports were the most popular part of that blog so I thought it would be a good idea to have a site just dedicated to those, so people wouldn't have to weed through the other unrelated posts.

Last edited:
It's more of a personal photography site, but I post lots of stuff (depending on the amount of spare time I have... lately not much) at http://brentstark.smugmug.com

Trip photos (and sometimes I put a "report" in the captions) are in this section: https://brentstark.smugmug.com/Journeys-to-the-Ends-of-the Most of the time, I post real trip reports here or sometimes on other sites, but lately I've been slipping a bit in posting real quality reports. But there are still plenty of photos from recent trips.

I have an under-construction photo site at http://pitamakan.com, but haven't done much other public blogging lately. Last spring, though, I posted my journal entries from one of my hitches working as a Montana fire lookout, and those are here:

http://montana.posthaven.com

I put those up in response to some of the fire-lookout questions I'd received after the release of the "Firewatch" video game, which gave us fire-lookout people our fifteen minutes of fame. :)

Ok, I'll go...my blog/site, as in my sig, is wasatchwill.net. For some reason, somebody had already thought up the same name and registered the .com domain at the time. Whatever. That .com domain never went anywhere though and eventually expired so I've since snagged it up as well and have it redirecting to the original. One of these days I may opt to switch it all around.

Anyway, moving on...

The inspiration for it actually came largely through BCP here. In fact, BCP is where my online handle of "WasatchWill" was born. A number of years ago now, when I first stumbled upon and discovered BCP, I was inspired by several trip reports and their accompanying photos. I then became active with posting some reports and photos of my own. Noting that some members had their own blogs they were running on the side and/or cross-posting from, it got me thinking about setting up my own blog, mostly as a way to document and share my trips more directly with family and friends, my other social networks, and so on.

I started tinkering with one and then later applied my handle from here on BCP to it. Later on, I designed a graphic for its header, applied a customizable template, freshened up on a bit of basic HTML and javascript (I had taken some basic courses on it back in high school and college), and it has now grown into what it currently is, which still isn't much, but it continues to evolve and grow. I plan to fill it in with some backcountry basics, tips, and tricks I've learned from others in addition to some I've developed myself and other resourceful information. Perhaps when I'm ready and willing to invest in a DSLR package to grow my photographic abilities, I'll also try to append some dedicated photo galleries.

In the mean time, I now cross-post most of my reports here on BCP from there and have since applied my handle to my Twitter and Instagram account and so forth. Over the same course of time, I also started up a YouTube channel where I post trip videos and some other content, often to supplement my trip reports and other blog content.

In the end though, I'll never forget my roots here at BCP and plan to remain active here as long as it exists the way it does. I love the community here, the helpful insight and information from the members, and the reputation it has for respectful and civil dialogue. And of course, there is what I think is the bread and butter for this forum, the convergence of so many amazing trip reports full of great eye candy and great stories.

Keep it up @Nick! You've done a terrific job with this forum.

This link is from my architectural photography site, not very organized but I am getting motivated to improve it. A lot of my trips are in 35mm slide format, and I will get around to scanning the images at some point. These shots are from 2005 onward, so I have a lot of scanning to do! As @WasatchWill so eloquently said I really appreciate BCP to share pictures and relate stories. I had no idea this site existed, until @IntrepidXJ & @Nick rescued me from that lame website that shall remain nameless.
I lost all of my Green River float galleries due to a late night brain fart, I am in the process of restoring those.

http://gnwatts.photoshelter.com/gallery-collection/Personal/C0000F1vjdawy0i0

Just here................ when I get around to it.