Yellowstone in Winter

Yvonne

I lava it!!!
Has someone been to Yellowstone between Christmas and New Years?
I had that itch and just booked a trip for 10 days to Yellowstone. That happens when I'm grounded with a foot injury and want to do something, lol.
I'll be staying a few days in Lamar Valley, then Mammoth and finally Old Faithful Snow Lodge.

I hope it's not too early to expect lots of snow and cold temperatures. But that's what I'm looking for. Snow and nice cold temperatures, and hopefully some winter wildlife.
I'll bring all my cross country ski and snowshoes, so hopefully, I can use them more than enough.

I would think end of December would have plenty of snow. The area where I live usually has plenty of snow to ski and snowshoe by Christmas, and Yellowstone usually gets more snow than us, so I think you will find exactly what you are looking for.

ETA: I believe you will be fine to drive to Mammoth and Lamar Valley at that time, but will probably have to take a snow coach to Old Faithful. Not sure if you were aware of that.

I went there over MLK day weekend back in 2011 to do some xc skiing closer to West Yellowstone. So a few weeks after New Year. But there was a ton of snow, and it was very cold. I'd imagine it's the same around Christmas.

My grandparents had a cabin between Quake Lake and Ennis for several years, and they would always have to leave for the winter around early to mid October because so much snow falls out there and it starts so early. So there should be plenty by late December if it's a semi-normal year for snow.

I’m tagging @Rockskipper , think she was up close to there last winter, she might have some input :).
We hope to be much more south end of December..... think Saguaro kind of climate with lots of hiking!
I don't blame you but I need cold and winter and snow. Lots of it.
I can't wait when I'm down with my degree in a few years and move to a place where I'll have a lot of snow and long cold winters.
I just can't tolerate the heat so much and the entire summer is a waste of time down here as you can't hike because it is so hot. MY off days are not together but spread apart, so I can't usually drive to the mountains to hike.

I always loved winter and snow and even camped in snow and winter

I went there over MLK day weekend back in 2011 to do some xc skiing closer to West Yellowstone. So a few weeks after New Year. But there was a ton of snow, and it was very cold. I'd imagine it's the same around Christmas.

My grandparents had a cabin between Quake Lake and Ennis for several years, and they would always have to leave for the winter around early to mid October because so much snow falls out there and it starts so early. So there should be plenty by late December if it's a semi-normal year for snow.

sounds good to me. I just hope it won't be an odd year because last winter was so snowy up there.
I'll camp for a week next summer near Quake Lake so I can explore the trails that start near 191, hopefully even made a visit to Lee Metcalf Wilderness.

But winter and especially x-country skiing is one of my favorite things to do and I don't mind the cold.
So fingers crossed for a snowy end of the year and a very unique Christmas.

I'll camp for a week next summer near Quake Lake so I can explore the trails that start near 191, hopefully even made a visit to Lee Metcalf Wilderness.
Excellent plans. Some of the best areas on earth! Just don't tell anyone about it :p

I spent last winter in Livingston, MT and thought I was going to die. Six weeks where not once did it break zero degrees. One night it was minus 32. I grew up on the Wyoming-Colorado border (not far from where the state record of minus 63 was set) and like snow and cold, too, but next time I'll go to the Arctic and see some new country. And yes, you'll have to book a snowcoach to get to the park's interior, and last winter they were going for several hundred dollars to Old Faithful from Gardiner.

I spent last winter in Livingston, MT and thought I was going to die. Six weeks where not once did it break zero degrees. One night it was minus 32. I grew up on the Wyoming-Colorado border (not far from where the state record of minus 63 was set) and like snow and cold, too, but next time I'll go to the Arctic and see some new country. And yes, you'll have to book a snowcoach to get to the park's interior, and last winter they were going for several hundred dollars to Old Faithful from Gardiner.

The snowcoach is already booked and confirmed, so I'm good to go.
And I have to admit I love these intense cold temperatures. I was once at Bryce Canyon and it plummeted to negative 29 at night. I was in paradise when I went out for sunrise. last Winter was pretty warm, only around zero when I went but lots of snow.
So I'm ready for it.

And the "I'm going to die " feeling is what I have right now. Above hundred since June, intolerable and unbearable hot. Way too much for me.
So I'm looking forward to this whole new experience to be there. I can see myself working there in winter in the future.

I do cross-country ski quite a bit, same comes to snowshoeing. So I guess it will be great if there is enough snow. Fingers crossed for that

There will be snow... Usually....not garr anteed.... Jan Feb gets more.....and colder. Went one year then when my daughter worked there.... Not enough snow to drive the coaches around the loop..... By March we have a lot....last year in island park then I had 7 1/2 ft in the flat