yellowstone Backpacking trip in 2015

Exibar

Hi all!
I'm Scoutmaster of rochester, Mass troop 31 and we're going to be backpacking Yellowstone in August 2015. I'm starting to plan it right now and it looks like Belcher area will be where we will be backpacking.
From Cave Falls, up to Old faithful area.... 5 - 6 nights backpacking

I have a group of 22 boys all total including myself. we're all experienced backpackers, well, at least the boys are and most of the perents... those parents that cannot make it through our "pre-yellowstone" mandatory backpacking sessions will not be allowed to backpack with us.... Safety is my utmost concern...

anyway... I see backcountry sites such as 9b1 and 9m1 that have a 12 person limit... How firm is that limit? Would I be able to have my troop at one of these sites? Or will I ave to plan the trip around the larger 20 - 25 person backcountry sites? or separate the group into two groups and reserve two sites... I see the sites are pretty well spread apart, so that will make planning a bit more difficult for me :-(

I've backpacked the Grand Canyon (proposed to my wife at the bottom as a matter of fact :) )... so I'm aware of permitting and all that... but I received my Grand Canyon permit in the mail.. looks like Yellowstone has to be picked up in person? I'm planning on having a bus service pick us up at the airport and bring us to Cave Falls campground for our first night... I suppose I could have them swing by the Belcher Ranger station before bringing us to cave falls....

thanks all! I'm sure I'll have a bunch more questions :)

Mike Blanchard
Scoutmaster Troop 31
Rochester, Mass

oh yah, I have the National geographic maps... are there any better maps available that are recommended of that area?

@Exibar - They are definitely sticklers for the total amount of people at a sight. Looking at my map, I don't see a campsite that will allow for 22 people. 9B3 has the largest limit at 20, all others along the Bechler Trail and Meadows have a limit of 12. It looks like you will have to break your trip up into two separate permit requests and try to get adjacent sites (could be hard to accomplish since this is a popular area of the Park - but certainly worth a try).

I backpacked the Bechler along the route you are contemplating back in 2005 and am returning next month with a slightly different route. It's a great place and be sure and visit "Mr. Bubbles" while you're back in there.

You won't find much of anything for a large group like that. AND you can't split it and stay at the same site. Most sites have a max person limit. Hugh impact on resources. I'd split into thirds. Pre reserve in April, pick up permits before hike. Also Camp Loll (BSA) is near cave falls, a large impact for the area as well. They do overnites into the park, may conflict. Possible to check another area out? Wiind rivers along the highline (CDT) trail you can get 6 nites fairly moderate hiking and its on forest so restrcitions are less.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
R Invite Yellowstone Backpacking Trip 7/29-8/3 Meet Up (Members Only) 2
B Yellowstone --- backpacking trip to Shelf Lake Backpacking 6
Kyle P Yellowstone Backpacking Trip Trip Planning 5
HomerJ Yellowstone Bikepacking/Backpacking Trip - Sept 2012 Backpacking 14
E Weeklong+ backpacking recs in Yellowstone NP? Trip Planning 11
McKee80 Yellowstone backpacking advice Trip Planning 15
Joey Backpacking Yellowstone: Fairyland Basin, Josephs Coat, Wapiti Lake, and Pelican Valley Backpacking 35
Joey Backpacking Yellowstone's Snake River, Heart Lake, and South Boundary Trail Backpacking 13
Joey Backpacking Yellowstone's Shoshone Lake and Mr Bubbles in May Backpacking 15
Joey Yellowstone in November. Backpacking Agate Creek Backpacking 17
Joey Backpacking Yellowstone's Heart Lake down to the Snake River Backpacking 12
Yellowstone 1 Backpacking in Yellowstone Trip Planning 30
isaac Yellowstone NP Campsite Reccs Trip Planning 2
Bob Island Park / Yellowstone Private Airport Development General Discussion 8
TheMountainRabbit News Release: Yellowstone National Park increases protection for bears and visitor safety by implementing changes to two bear management areas General Discussion 14
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Gallatin River -- September 7-9th 2023 Backpacking 12
wsp_scott Yellowstone Lake to Brooks Lake (Aug 2023) Backpacking 16
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Thorofare and the Teton Wilderness 08/09/2023 - 08/18/2023 Part Nine / Day Nine + Ten! Backpacking 20
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Thorofare and the Teton Wilderness 08/09/2023 - 08/18/2023 Part Eight / Day Eight Backpacking 14
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Thorofare and the Teton Wilderness 08/09/2023 - 08/18/2023 Part Seven / Day Seven Backpacking 13
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Thorofare and the Teton Wilderness 08/09/2023 - 08/18/2023 Part Six / Day Six Backpacking 28
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Thorofare and the Teton Wilderness 08/09/2023 - 08/18/2023 Part Five / Day Five Backpacking 16
LarryBoy Select Peaks of the Greater Yellowstone - Second Edition (coupon code for pre-order) General Discussion 12
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Thorofare and the Teton Wilderness 08/09/2023 - 08/18/2023 Part Four / Day Four Backpacking 15
scatman The Gallatin River, Bighorn and Fawn Passes, Yellowstone National Park - September 7, 2023 Backpacking 14
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Thorofare and the Teton Wilderness 08/09/2023 - 08/18/2023 Part Three / Day Three Backpacking 10
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Thorofare and the Teton Wilderness 08/09/2023 - 08/18/2023 -- Part Two / Day Two Backpacking 6
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Thorofare and the Teton Wilderness 08/09/2023 - 08/18/2023 --Part One / Day One Backpacking 10
scatman Yellowstone's Thorofare, Headwaters of Thorofare Creek, Majo Pass, Younts Peak, Bob's Canyon, and Cub Creek - August 9, 2023 - Days 7 through 10 Backpacking 34
scatman Yellowstone's Thorofare, Headwaters of Thorofare Creek, Majo Pass, Younts Peak, Bob's Canyon, and Cub Creek - August 9, 2023 - Days 1 through 6 Backpacking 56
F Hat Recovered-Yellowstone Backcountry General Discussion 0
J South Crandall Creek and the Hoodoos Wyoming and Yellowstone? Trip Planning 3
RockyMntCol Trip Planning Younts Peak / South Fork Yellowstone Trip Planning 12
F Shakedown - Yellowstone Thorofare Trip Planning 13
Rockskipper @Bob or anyone know why they closed down part of the forest near W. Yellowstone? General Discussion 6
I Rescue Creek - Yellowstone National Park - June 3, 2023 Backpacking 15
Bob Bear charge - Yellowstone General Discussion 1
scatman Rescue Creek - Yellowstone National Park - June 3, 2023 Backpacking 56
I Slough Creek - Yellowstone June 5 & 6 Meet Up (Members Only) 19
Bob Yellowstone 5/8/23 - UPDATE General Discussion 9
Parashakti Late July in Yellowstone Trip Planning 9
scatman Rescue Creek - Yellowstone National Park Meet Up (Members Only) 19
Jackson Yellowstone Backcountry Lottery Results General Discussion 45
BobFink Yellowstone South Entrance to Fox Creek via Basin Creek Cutoff - Labor Day 2022 Trip Reports 4
Bob Snakes in Yellowstone General Discussion 11
shredhiker Yellowstone Heart Lake September 2022 Backpacking 9
Janice Yellowstone Yurt Camp - Feb. 19-23, 2023 Trip Reports 15
TheMountainRabbit Northern Yellowstone NP - January 2023 Winter Sports 6
Ymyr Suggestions in a Yellowstone and a Beartooth trip Trip Planning 29
scatman A Yellowstone Love Story (Bog Creek Euphoria) - September 12, 2022 Backpacking 28