Yellowatone Permit question...

Christo

So here it is March 27, 2021 and I want to get my Yellowstone Thorofare, 8 night, early September, 2021 application in before April 1st. I see that there is a FAX number on the application. Has anyone faxed their application in and had trouble? I guess I'm afraid their fax machine will be out of paper and my application won't be received for some bizzare technical issue. So, Mail or fax and as a bonus question, will my wish be granted? Thanks!

Christo'

I've always mailed my requests in, but I do know people who have faxed their requests in and everything worked out as it should. If you are flexible with your campsite choices, you shouldn't have a problem getting your permit for the Thorofare.

Thanks scatman. I'm probably over thinking it with that question but you can't over think a great trip like this. First time in YS for me. Thanks for your input and experience. I'm going to fax it. I'll let you know.

Christo'

No problem @Christo. If you are still worried about, just give the backcountry office in mammoth a call and ask them if they received your fax. I think they are only open Monday through Thursday this time of year.

I've always mailed mine but I'm sure fax will work. Thorofare in September. I'm envious. That was my first big trip, back in September 2018. What's your route?

Now Christo I have nevermailed in for a Yellowstone permit. I have always gone up to the ranger station right before a trip and have NEVER had a problem. Always got what I wanted with no problems. Just letting you know just in case you have a problem.

I've always mailed mine but I'm sure fax will work. Thorofare in September. I'm envious. That was my first big trip, back in September 2018. What's your route?
Hey @marquiri. Thanks for responding. I'm asking for entry at the South entrance and taking the South Boundary all the way to the Thorofare. We'll spend 3 days semi-loitering our way up to the SE arm stopping at 6A3 and from there take Trail Creek to Heart Lake for 2 sites/nights and then out to the Heart Lake TH. 8 nights total as now planned with an option for 9. How about you in 2018? Highlights and anything you'd do different?

Christo'

Now Christo I have nevermailed in for a Yellowstone permit. I have always gone up to the ranger station right before a trip and have NEVER had a problem. Always got what I wanted with no problems. Just letting you know just in case you have a problem.
Wow, that's good to know. I just realized we will be starting our trip on Sunday of Labor Day so I'm wondering about demand. You didn't have trouble at high volume times either? If you're like me you probably avoid those times.

Christo'

Hey @marquiri. Thanks for responding. I'm asking for entry at the South entrance and taking the South Boundary all the way to the Thorofare. We'll spend 3 days semi-loitering our way up to the SE arm stopping at 6A3 and from there take Trail Creek to Heart Lake for 2 sites/nights and then out to the Heart Lake TH. 8 nights total as now planned with an option for 9. How about you in 2018? Highlights and anything you'd do different?

Christo'
Hey @Christo

We did a loop starting and finishing at Heart Lake. The sites we stayed at were 8J6, 6A3, 6C2, 6Y6, 6T2, 6M4, 8C9, 8C5 and 8H3. It was an unbelievable trip. all the sites between 8J6 and 6M4 were awesome. 8C9, 8C5 and 8H3 were a little bit of a let down, at least compared with the rest. 8H2 and 8H3 are neighbors, and it looked like 8H2 might have been a bit better than 8H3, but 8H2 wasn't available.

We originally requested this trip for July of 2017, but I didn't know much about the process, and the fords of the Yellowstone are generally not possible until August at the earliest. The fords should be relatively easy this year, given that it has been an average to below average snow year (at least so far, and assuming it's not an unusually rainy spring/summer).

I don't know if you know Joey (myownfrontier on youtube), but our trip was inpsired by his 10 day Thorofare trip that we watched on youtube (
). If you haven't watched it, I highly recommend it.

If you want to send me the campsites you're shooting for, I'd be happy to share any photos/videos I have from any of those sites.

Hey @Christo

We did a loop starting and finishing at Heart Lake. The sites we stayed at were 8J6, 6A3, 6C2, 6Y6, 6T2, 6M4, 8C9, 8C5 and 8H3. It was an unbelievable trip. all the sites between 8J6 and 6M4 were awesome. 8C9, 8C5 and 8H3 were a little bit of a let down, at least compared with the rest. 8H2 and 8H3 are neighbors, and it looked like 8H2 might have been a bit better than 8H3, but 8H2 wasn't available.

We originally requested this trip for July of 2017, but I didn't know much about the process, and the fords of the Yellowstone are generally not possible until August at the earliest. The fords should be relatively easy this year, given that it has been an average to below average snow year (at least so far, and assuming it's not an unusually rainy spring/summer).

I don't know if you know Joey (myownfrontier on youtube), but our trip was inpsired by his 10 day Thorofare trip that we watched on youtube (
). If you haven't watched it, I highly recommend it.

If you want to send me the campsites you're shooting for, I'd be happy to share any photos/videos I have from any of those sites.
That's some great information, especially interesting about the lower than average precipitation year. I mapped your route and it is very similar from Heart Lake to Thorofare. 8J6, 6A3, 6C2, 6Y6, 6Y4 and 6M7.
Like I said, we are South Boundary out to the South Entrance so we will miss Fox Creek Trail and those "8" series of sites that you mentioned with the exception of 8C2 our first night and 8H6 our last night.

I noticed you did 9 nights. You think 8 nights is enough? Never enough, right?

You talking about Joey Coconato? Never heard of him. Lol...He is quite the ambassador and film maker. I have a lot of respect for him.

Thanks @marquiri, I'd love a peek or two!

Christo'

We did do 9 nights. It was supposed to be 10 nights with a second night at 8H3 so that we could do Mt. Sheridan, but a member of our group sustained a fractured foot about halfway through the trip, so we ended up contacting the rangers and they assisted him with hiking out, so we had to hike out a day early. My wife and I talk all the time about doing that trip over again, but with a couple of extra zero days in there to be able to enjoy the camps and explore a bit off trail. 8 days is certainly enough time though.

And regarding your permit request, both times we've done Yellowstone permits I got a call from the Backcountry office around April 20th to discuss my itinerary because a couple of modifications were necessary to make it work. So keep your phone handy starting around April 15th. Here are a few photos from some of the campsites you mentioned.

8J6

8J6.JPG

6A3
6A3.JPG

6C2
6C2(2).JPG

6C2 (He visited us after dark and again in the morning)
6C2.JPG

6Y6
6Y6.JPG

6Y6
6Y6(2).JPG

I am blown away. Those sites look awesome. Anyone who backpacks understands the value and importance of a good campsite; it completes the day. I've had a few less than stellar too but haven't we all and in the end it worked out. You have really been an insightful contact for me. I appreciate the tips. A fractured foot? A fine example of how trouble can find you pretty quick.

Christo'

So as an update to this post...I got an email from YS Backcountry Office on April 21, 2021. They approved my request without any changes. I did fax my request in on March 29th. So it appears that faxing a request in works very well and in my case a very favorable outcome for us. I'M SUPER STOKED AND EXCITED!

So as an update to this post...I got an email from YS Backcountry Office on April 21, 2021. They approved my request without any changes. I did fax my request in on March 29th. So it appears that faxing a request in works very well and in my case a very favorable outcome for us. I'M SUPER STOKED AND EXCITED!

Congrats and make sure you come back and post a trip report :)

Congratulations. I think both times I've heard back from Yellowstone it was on April 21 as well. My Glacier permit was rejected, so we'll be going to the Bob instead.

Congratulations. I think both times I've heard back from Yellowstone it was on April 21 as well. My Glacier permit was rejected, so we'll be going to the Bob instead.
Funny you should mention The Bob. That would have been our back up as well. It's been on the short list for 5 years or so now. I'll keep checking back to see how your trip goes. It should be nothing short of stellar.