X-Country skiing in the Uintas

Yvonne

I lava it!!!
I'm staying a few days in the Heber City/Midway area and want to do some x-country skiing. I wonder if there are any backcountry trails I can hit in the Uintas. How far can you usually drive in and are there any nordic trailheads?
I've done Sundance and White Pines Nordic Center, but want to add something else.
I guess the Uintas would be awesome this time of year.

I definitely need to have an eye out for avalanche danger, but would something around the Shingle Creek area doable?

Any other good places for x-country skiing?

I'm staying a few days in the Heber City/Midway area and want to do some x-country skiing. I wonder if there are any backcountry trails I can hit in the Uintas. How far can you usually drive in and are there any nordic trailheads?
I've done Sundance and White Pines Nordic Center, but want to add something else.
I guess the Uintas would be awesome this time of year.

I definitely need to have an eye out for avalanche danger, but would something around the Shingle Creek area doable?

Any other good places for x-country skiing?
There is a trail, sometimes groomed right along the Mirror Lake Highway down low called the Beaver Creek Trail. Map at the Forest service office in Kamas. All of the side canyons off the highway are great. A neat loop is out, cross the creek and back on the North Fork of the Provo. You ski past a yurt you can rent too.

Not too much danger in the Uintas along this highway - as long as you stay out from under steep hills/cliffs. Anything under 30 degrees is safe - as long as it is not hanging over your head steep.

There is a trail, sometimes groomed right along the Mirror Lake Highway down low called the Beaver Creek Trail. Map at the Forest service office in Kamas. All of the side canyons off the highway are great. A neat loop is out, cross the creek and back on the North Fork of the Provo. You ski past a yurt you can rent too.

Not too much danger in the Uintas along this highway - as long as you stay out from under steep hills/cliffs. Anything under 30 degrees is safe - as long as it is not hanging over your head steep.

Sweet!! I will have a look at that map on my way in. Eventually there is something available online .
The Forest Service usually has some PDF maps.
Do you have any idea how long the loop is? Or can you extend it as long as you want?
It definitely sounds like a great plan to go this weekend

Henry's Fork is the trailhead most people start at to summit Kings Peak. There are several trip reports online of people who summit Kings Peak in the winter. They ski in most of the way and hike to the top.

I too just bought a pair too! Can't quite afford a touring setup this year (hopefully next!)

I've ridden up the road in Millcreak Canyon a few times, and just had a great time.

Thanks for the info fellas. I'll be utilizing it the next few months

The Topos Illustrated map of the Uintas is great but doesn't cover this far west. GaiaGPS is your friend. The North Fork Provo loop is probably 5-6 miles long. There is a spur trail going up the north fork from the end of the loop going up stream and on it I have walked all the way to Bald Mountain Pass before.

The great thing about backcountry skiing is, once there is snow on the ground, you can go anywhere! Don't need no stinkin' trail :) Course you have to guard against venturing into avalanche terrain or getting lost then too.

today I went the first time and had a blast. I only did Beaver Creek and Pine Valley and a bit beyond.
Lots of fresh powder out there.
I guess I will head back tomorrow and do either Shingle Creek or North Fork

i-WBX9c3g-L.jpg

Beaver Creek is great. I think it's the only groomed trail in the area (classic only, too narrow for skating). I go on weekdays when possible, on weekends there can be plenty of people there and the hikers, snowshoers, and dogs love to trample all over the ski tracks. It can be icy during a dry spell, best hit within a few days of a snowfall. There's a picnic table that makes a great lunch spot and turnaround point, it's under a tree so the snow isn't usually very deep.

Beaver Creek is great. I think it's the only groomed trail in the area (classic only, too narrow for skating). I go on weekdays when possible, on weekends there can be plenty of people there and the hikers, snowshoers, and dogs love to trample all over the ski tracks. It can be icy during a dry spell, best hit within a few days of a snowfall. There's a picnic table that makes a great lunch spot and turnaround point, it's under a tree so the snow isn't usually very deep.

there was nothing groomed yet, so I made my own trail.
Past Pine valley it was groomed, but not very well so I couldn't skate much.
But it was a fun day out.
Even though it was busy, I barely saw anyone on the trails.

And I stopped at the picnic table and wished I had brought my backpacking stove and some soup to warm.

And I stopped at the picnic table and wished I had brought my backpacking stove and some soup to warm.

One time I shared that picnic table with a group that kept pulling better and better stuff out of their packs. First they opened beers, then a bottle of white wine, and finally they made fondue over a camp stove, they were my heroes.