Wyoming Grizzly Range Tracker and DMA

WasatchWill

Ready For More
Just stumbled into this while googling more info on grizzlies in the Wind River Mountain Range. It's a gif showing the growth of grizzly bear population outside of the Yellowstone Ecosystem and the DMA. It follows from the immediate range they were found within the designated recovery zone in 1990, to where they've expanded up through last year. It looks like something that will continue to be updated/added to with each year.

animated_bears_1fps.gif

Very cool! I love that jump from 2014 to 2015.

That said, the only possibly grizzly sign I've ever seen in the winds was a pile of scat next to a carcass. Very elusive out there!

Rep. Cheney accuses tribes of “Destroying our western way of life” over sacred grizzly protections.

Nice find! Did you see anything that shows the population density? A few griz in a 100 square miles is much less a concern for me than a few dozen! While it's always good to be bear-aware, some places I won't solo in due to high-griz danger.

Just stumbled into this while googling more info on grizzlies in the Wind River Mountain Range. It's a gif showing the growth of grizzly bear population outside of the Yellowstone Ecosystem and the DMA. It follows from the immediate range they were found within the designated recovery zone in 1990, to where they've expanded up through last year. It looks like something that will continue to be updated/added to with each year.

animated_bears_1fps.gif
Great find and great graphic, Will. Solid example of range expansion that is going on all around us with all species of plants and animals. This species is just more visible and was more artificially constrained for so long that we humans are paying more attention.

Now have been watching this expansion and am not surprised. Have heard things related to this recently also. The last couple of years have seen fresh Grizzly Bear sign right up Cache Creek a shortways near the Town of Jackson. When I have gone into the deep Yellowstone Wilds, the signs of grizzlies are everywhere. Now I would not be the least surprised if there is a whole lot more Grizzlies around here in NW Wyoming then what they say. Just my opinion.

Last edited:
Another success story very similar to the Bald Eagle and California Condor. Unfortunately these are the success stories the extraction industries work hardest to thwart.

I've always looked forward sighting a Grizzly in the wild (not including Yellowstone N.P.) but have not yet had the experience: As I am not brave enough to sleep with a slab of bacon in my tent to invite such a sighting it may require to invite a less favorable person to cuddle a slab of tasty pork in their's as I observe at a safe distance. :)

This agency has some great data. Check out the capture and relocation annual report from 2018. Thre are a heck of a lot more captures of grizzlies in the north central Winds than I expected.

Hard to tell from the maps, but it looks like most are in the Upper Green, primarily due to feeding on cattle. I usually arrive during the cattle drive, so looks like I'm in in hungry griz country. One of the few places on the Western Winds that folks really should have bear spray.

Last edited:
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
K 38 Years Ago Today ... Close Grizzly Bear Encounter in Wyoming's Teton Wild. Everything Else 2
Absarokanaut Wyoming's First Documented Breeding Pair of Barred Owls General Discussion 0
J South Crandall Creek and the Hoodoos Wyoming and Yellowstone? Trip Planning 3
scatman The Wyoming Range (Scatman version) - June 26, 2023 Backpacking 21
Bob Wyoming Range Backpacking 14
Dreamer Wyoming Range conditions 2023 Trip Planning 62
F 12 days in Wyoming's Teton Wilderness, part 9 of 9, 7-29 & 30, /2022 Backpacking 5
F 12 days in Wyoming's Teton Wilderness, part 8 of 9, 7/28/2022 Backpacking 5
F 12 days in Wyoming's Teton Wilderness, part 7 of 9, July 26-27, 2022 Backpacking 13
F 12 days in Wyoming's Teton Wilderness, part 6, 7/25/2022 Backpacking 17
F 12 days in Wyoming's Teton Wilderness, part 5 of 9, 7/23-24, 2022 Backpacking 10
F 12 days in Wyoming's Teton Wilderness, part 4 of 9, 7/22, 2022 Backpacking 4
F 12 days in Wyoming's Teton Wilderness, part 3 of 9, 7/20-21, 2022 Backpacking 2
F 12 days in Wyoming's Teton Wilderness, part 2, 7/19/2022 Backpacking 4
F 12 days in Wyoming's Teton Wilderness, part 1, 7/15-18, 2022 Backpacking 13
Mikjik86 Backpacking The Wind River Range - Wyoming, September 2022 Trip Reports 3
Mikjik86 4 Days Backpacking Grand Teton Wilderness/Teton Crest Trail - Wyoming, July, 2021 Backpacking 0
westy NW Wyoming Maps Trip Planning 13
TeamJenkins17 Wyoming winter camping Trip Planning 4
IlVagabondo Noob From Oregon, Wyoming Bound Noobs: Introduce yourself! 5
NorthwestWanderer NORTHWEST | 4K Timelapse Film : Featuring Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Wyoming & Montana General Discussion 4
Outdoors24 MTB Idaho/Wyoming Everything Else 1
U Any recommendations for 5 days hiking in Wyoming, Idaho or MT? This is around July 15-20. Not counting on Glacier being open Trip Planning 9
Curt Lost Twin Lakes, Cloud Peak Wilderness, Wyoming Backpacking 16
DuneElliot Backpacking Wyoming's Wind River Range, August 2018 Backpacking 4
Rockskipper Wild Horse Butte, Wyoming Hiking & Camping 1
isleroyaleguy Grizzlies in Wyoming article. General Discussion 6
kimbur96 2 nights in Little Brooklyn Hut, Snowy Mountain Range, Wyoming Winter Sports 4
b.stark August 2016 Tour of NW Wyoming Backpacking 10
K Hi There from Jackson, Wyoming Noobs: Introduce yourself! 2
Eugene Backpacking in the Snowy Range Wyoming August 2016 Backpacking 3
Absarokanaut WYOMING: Continental Divide Trail Fire Closure General Discussion 8
Rayne Hoffman Noob from Wyoming Noobs: Introduce yourself! 12
Aldaron Wyoming Trip Trip Planning 6
Joey Trip Video: Wyoming's Teton Wilderness, Arizona Creek and the Huckleberry Lookout Tower. 10/14 Backpacking 11
uintahiker Backpacking for Golden Trout in Wyoming Backpacking 11
HomerJ Wyoming Fire Ban 2012 General Discussion 9
TheMountainRabbit Report: Grizzly 399 has emerged from the den — with one cub General Discussion 2
scatman Grizzly Lake - September 7, 2022 Backpacking 31
kwc A Few More Photos from Scatman’s Grizzly Lake trip … Backpacking 3
P Scatman's Grizzly Lake hike, 2022 Backpacking 28
scatman Grizzly Lake - Yellowstone National Park - September - 2022 Meet Up (Members Only) 149
forest dweller Grizzly Bear Kills Backcountry Guide Near Yellowstone, Investigators shot and killed the bear after it charged. General Discussion 13
napatony13 Trinity Alps-Grizzly Peak Trail Hiking & Camping 0
LarryBoy IGBC Prepares for Grizzly Return to Bitterroots General Discussion 17
W "Cooking clothes" in grizzly country General Discussion 10
T Grizzly bears in Wind River Mountains Noobs: Introduce yourself! 12
tropicalwanderer What to do: Grizzly in camp at night General Discussion 22
scatman Grizzly Encounter - Telemetry Podcast General Discussion 0
Rockskipper First grizzly bear sighting of 2019 reported in Yellowstone NP General Discussion 12