Wyoming Fire Ban 2012

HomerJ

Looks like I won't be able to watch TV (campfire) in the Winds this year. :cry:

Starting July 1st., fires are banned in the Bridger-Teton NF (West side of Winds) and the Shoshone NF (East side of Winds). You can still have a campfire as long as its in "a fire structure
that is provided by the Forest Service within a designated area". So no back country fires.:thumbsdown: I wonder if the Indians will let me have a fire on their land!...

No kidding.... I thought the Winds had a good or at least decent water year. Maybe they're just doing it to keep all the Utahns from flocking there to have fires?

No kidding.... I thought the Winds had a good or at least decent water year. Maybe they're just doing it to keep all the Utahns from flocking there to have fires?
Wyoming had a better snow pack than Utah this year, but it was still low. There's a big fire that's been burning for a week now NW of La Barge, I think that has them worried along with Utah, Colorado, and Idaho all burning.

I wish they'd throw in an exception for elevation, so if you are above 10,000' then you're ok to have a fire or something like that...

Wyoming had a better snow pack than Utah this year, but it was still low. There's a big fire that's been burning for a week now NW of La Barge, I think that has them worried along with Utah, Colorado, and Idaho all burning.

I wish they'd throw in an exception for elevation, so if you are above 10,000' then you're ok to have a fire or something like that...

I agree. If you are above timberline it should be legal...

Damn, we have a statewide ban here in Colorado, Utah has a ban and now Wyoming? I hate not having a fire.

Anyone heard any news if this might be lifted for the high country like the Wind Rivers? Kinda hoping they'd follow suit after Utah lifted restrictions for the High Uintas Wilderness...

I haven't been able to find any info on it being lift... :(

Seriously debating whether doing a fire-free winds trip is worth it compared to staying in the state and being able to have a fire. I feel kind of lame for even thinking that, but when you're out there for 4 days in and out of storms getting wet, it's kinda lame to not build a fire simply because it's dry elsewhere. Hell, I wonder if they're even enforcing in the high country. When I hiked out of Elkhart Park there was not a single sign saying 'no fires'. All they did was staple a copy of the letter banning fires to the sign board at the trailhead. You could read half way into it before you even realized it said no fires. Hmm.....

I feel your pain when we hit the Uintas same weekend you were on Highline we got dumped on and all I could think was it would be nice to have a fire. I am glad to see the ban lifted here with the wet weather. Maybe the posted sign blew away "no sir I had no knowledge of the ban".

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Absarokanaut WYOMING: Continental Divide Trail Fire Closure General Discussion 8
Absarokanaut Wyoming's First Documented Breeding Pair of Barred Owls General Discussion 0
J South Crandall Creek and the Hoodoos Wyoming and Yellowstone? Trip Planning 3
scatman The Wyoming Range (Scatman version) - June 26, 2023 Backpacking 21
Bob Wyoming Range Backpacking 14
Dreamer Wyoming Range conditions 2023 Trip Planning 62
F 12 days in Wyoming's Teton Wilderness, part 9 of 9, 7-29 & 30, /2022 Backpacking 5
F 12 days in Wyoming's Teton Wilderness, part 8 of 9, 7/28/2022 Backpacking 5
F 12 days in Wyoming's Teton Wilderness, part 7 of 9, July 26-27, 2022 Backpacking 13
F 12 days in Wyoming's Teton Wilderness, part 6, 7/25/2022 Backpacking 17
F 12 days in Wyoming's Teton Wilderness, part 5 of 9, 7/23-24, 2022 Backpacking 10
F 12 days in Wyoming's Teton Wilderness, part 4 of 9, 7/22, 2022 Backpacking 4
F 12 days in Wyoming's Teton Wilderness, part 3 of 9, 7/20-21, 2022 Backpacking 2
F 12 days in Wyoming's Teton Wilderness, part 2, 7/19/2022 Backpacking 4
F 12 days in Wyoming's Teton Wilderness, part 1, 7/15-18, 2022 Backpacking 13
Mikjik86 Backpacking The Wind River Range - Wyoming, September 2022 Trip Reports 3
Mikjik86 4 Days Backpacking Grand Teton Wilderness/Teton Crest Trail - Wyoming, July, 2021 Backpacking 0
westy NW Wyoming Maps Trip Planning 13
TeamJenkins17 Wyoming winter camping Trip Planning 4
IlVagabondo Noob From Oregon, Wyoming Bound Noobs: Introduce yourself! 5
NorthwestWanderer NORTHWEST | 4K Timelapse Film : Featuring Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Wyoming & Montana General Discussion 4
Outdoors24 MTB Idaho/Wyoming Everything Else 1
K 38 Years Ago Today ... Close Grizzly Bear Encounter in Wyoming's Teton Wild. Everything Else 2
U Any recommendations for 5 days hiking in Wyoming, Idaho or MT? This is around July 15-20. Not counting on Glacier being open Trip Planning 9
Curt Lost Twin Lakes, Cloud Peak Wilderness, Wyoming Backpacking 16
WasatchWill Wyoming Grizzly Range Tracker and DMA General Discussion 11
DuneElliot Backpacking Wyoming's Wind River Range, August 2018 Backpacking 4
Rockskipper Wild Horse Butte, Wyoming Hiking & Camping 1
isleroyaleguy Grizzlies in Wyoming article. General Discussion 6
kimbur96 2 nights in Little Brooklyn Hut, Snowy Mountain Range, Wyoming Winter Sports 4
b.stark August 2016 Tour of NW Wyoming Backpacking 10
K Hi There from Jackson, Wyoming Noobs: Introduce yourself! 2
Eugene Backpacking in the Snowy Range Wyoming August 2016 Backpacking 3
Rayne Hoffman Noob from Wyoming Noobs: Introduce yourself! 12
Aldaron Wyoming Trip Trip Planning 6
Joey Trip Video: Wyoming's Teton Wilderness, Arizona Creek and the Huckleberry Lookout Tower. 10/14 Backpacking 11
uintahiker Backpacking for Golden Trout in Wyoming Backpacking 11
Bob Fire Tower Rentals Trip Planning 0
B March at Valley of Fire other recommendations in the area Trip Planning 7
J York Fire, Mojave National Preserve. Aug 2023 Resource Discussions 3
kwc Smoke on the water … fire in the sky … General Discussion 6
kwc Spruce Mountain Fire Tower, Southern Adirondacks Hiking & Camping 0
Rockskipper Northern PCT closed because of fire General Discussion 3
balzaccom McGee Creek--Fire (smoke) Rain, Winded and rockslides... Trip Reports 0
balzaccom Fire Seaon General Discussion 0
kwc Hadley Mountain Fire Tower hike, Southern Adirondacks Hiking & Camping 1
kwc Short hike to a fire tower Hiking & Camping 3
Bob Sand Creek Fire - Wind Rivers General Discussion 0
AKay09 Rawah Wilderness Fire Question Trip Planning 3
kwc Another Adirondack fire tower Hiking & Camping 2