Writing a trip report. I don't know how to do that but would like to know.

How do I write a TR? Can I save and continue later? Please help.
I type them up in Microsoft Word. Then when the story is done copy and paste the entire thing at one time.

Easier for me to see my grammatical and spelling errors in a word program than typing the story on the forum.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Others will chime in but I use a variation on blueeyes's technique. I assemble the pictures in a folder all tuned up. Then I write the piece in another program like word or a text editor. Then I upload the text into a new post. Next step is to upload some/all of the pictures and insert them after captions. I prefer an annotation or caption for each image. Publish and then final step - proofread and repair. Bring it on!

Thank you, Artimus. Like you, I prefer a caption with each picture.
You are welcome. Unfortunately there is no option to save a draft so you can't really have a work in process in the forum software.

Another note... I like to intersperse the pictures IN the story. Many people are masterful at that here. I have captions for each picture but I also have snippets of the story interspersed with pictures too. Makes it more fun to read, at least for me. Looking forward to your work...

I just type everything out on the website.
I usually only attach the photos that flow with the story (and do it after I write the story) and usually add captions.
I have had a couple of "oh sh**" moments, because you cannot save. Luckily, I can usually control+z and get it back.
I like the way everyone does it. Some people mix the photos in the middle, some people just use them as attachments or put them all at the end. Whatever way you choose will be great!

x2 for just typing it up on the website. Although the copy and paste method sounds like it worth a try.

You are welcome. Unfortunately there is no option to save a draft so you can't really have a work in process in the forum software.

Another note... I like to intersperse the pictures IN the story. Many people are masterful at that here. I have captions for each picture but I also have snippets of the story interspersed with pictures too. Makes it more fun to read, at least for me. Looking forward to your work...
I don't have time or patients to intersperse the pictures. Plus I know some people just look at pictures and don't read the story. So I paste the story first and add picture all at one time. And on some photos add caption.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

My shorter ones get typed on the website. Longer ones that I may want to keep for myself for later reference or repost elsewhere get typed up offline on a text editor of some kind.

I write mine on here all at once. I start by uploading all of the pictures and inserting them all at once. Then I start writing, mixing the text with the photos and working my way down.

You could always dictate them, like I did this post. This post. SometimesIt gets confused. And messes everything up

Probably easier to type it up.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Howells Outdoors Writing Trip Reports General Discussion 8
G Escalante area 4-5 night backpack trip suggestions in late September. Loop if possible. Limit technical sections if any. Thanks! Backpacking 6
Tarp Boy Looking for Shuttle service for Uintas Granddaddy basin trip Trip Planning 0
John Goering More ancient past from the archives, 1981 Beartooths trip Backpacking 11
John Goering The ancient past. 1980 Beartooth trip Backpacking 11
Bob Short Motor Trip Thru Cody, Cooke City Off Road 6
Bob Wind Rivers - Short Trip to Cook Lake Trip Reports 9
Stephanie Help! Looking for a 1-2 day trip Backpacking 9
RockyMntCol Trip Planning Younts Peak / South Fork Yellowstone Trip Planning 12
C What's a good insurance company for Wilderness Trip Outfitters Trip Planning 1
scatman Pre-trip Preparation General Discussion 176
Honk34 Day Trip WY Golden Trout Hiking & Camping 1
Janice Field Trip - Washington Post podcast about national parks General Discussion 0
J Castle/Conundrum/Hot Springs Trip - Colorado Trip Planning 5
balzaccom A civilized trip--on the rivers of Europe On The Water 0
Vegan.Hiker 8 day trip to Utah Trip Planning 10
C Thorofare Trip - September 2023 Trip Planning 3
W Gulf of Slides Ski Trail Trip Report 1/25/2022 Trip Reports 0
Ymyr Suggestions in a Yellowstone and a Beartooth trip Trip Planning 29
V four day backpacking trip in southern Utah starting this weekend Trip Planning 4
travel2walk last minute Colorado trip, maybe 4 passes? Meet Up (Members Only) 0
P Bighorns (WY) Trip report Backpacking 8
kwc A Few More Photos from Scatman’s Grizzly Lake trip … Backpacking 3
John Goering Pioneer Mountains, Montana <50" UTV trip Off Road 3
Kerrie at Thru We Go Packraft Trip in the Sierra Nevada Mountains Trip Reports 3
Georgia Yankee Can't seem to edit my trip report Questions, Suggestions & Support 4
Mikjik86 Another Wind River Trip Planning! Elkhart/Titcomb/Knapsack/Shannons Pass loop back to Elkhart, or continue to Green River Lakes Trailhead? Trip Planning 10
The Trout Whisperer Dad n daughter trip in the very near future… Hiking & Camping 7
B 1-2 Night Sierra Trip Help Trip Planning 3
bouldermtn May/June trip suggestions Trip Planning 0
BJett Red River Gorge/Red Byrd Arch Packraft Trip - Kentucky Hiking & Camping 9
Bob Planning an Expedition type trip....... check this list out ..... Trip Planning 13
Janice Vermillion Cliffs Trip - Part 3 - Buckskin Gulch Hiking & Camping 3
Janice Vermillion Cliffs Trip - Part 2 - White Pocket & Coyote Buttes South Hiking & Camping 7
RyanP Does knowing the geology of the CO Plateau give practical insight for trip planning? General Discussion 20
TeamJenkins17 Washakie Wilderness Trip Advice Trip Planning 17
Janice Family trip to Grand Teton Memorial Day weekend? Trip Planning 5
Janice Yellowstone - Winter Yurt Trip? Winter Sports 22
F Hammond Canyon, UT trip planning Trip Planning 9
wsp_scott Family trip to Grand Teton and Yellowstone Hiking & Camping 15
Yvonne The Subway September 2020 - a trip that went wrong Hiking & Camping 10
SteveR Delaying Winter-A November Desert Trip. Hiking & Camping 6
The Trout Whisperer Non kilt wearin’ version of th Gneiss Creek trip, part 2, Backpacking 4
norwegianxplorer Highest Mountain in Norway, Galdhøpiggen, the start of a 9 day backpacking trip in Jotunheimen national park Backpacking 0
montanaclimber Americans: where was your favorite international backpacking trip? Trip Planning 25
Jackson A Late Summer Summit Trip Backpacking 6
Bob New trip for Scatman...... Trip Planning 34
K Kings Peak Trip Trip Planning 6
napatony13 FIRST-TIMER'S YELLOWSTONE TRIP Hiking & Camping 13
TeamJenkins17 2022 Teton Wilderness/Shoshone National Forest Trip Trip Planning 0