Winds, now, advice?

SBear

Original trip planned for June 6-11 is still too snow covered. Have not been to the Winds but just called Big Sandy Lodge and all seems clear to about 9500 ft or so there. What would you put together (loop preferred, out/back okay) for about 50 miles in the Winds next week, without getting into deep snow?

I don't want to be a Debbie-downer, but:

pic.jpg

It looks like the south end of the range will be your best bet.

Take a lot of bug goop, too...they'll be hungry right now.

If you're open to alternatives, I backpacked the north end of Yellowstone last weekend, and it was completely snow free.

I'd wait.....you will miss a lot. Problem with the Winds you have to go over high passes quite often. Looks like green river lks TH (north) you may get some day hiking up to maybe cube rock pass. You may be OK with just the main N to S trail ...CDT trail.

I'm on the party pooper train too. But if you go, plan on some extra equipment to get over the snowy passes and big cornices. Iceaxe, crampons, spikes, etc. Could be pretty tough. Oh, and most definitely come post some pics afterwards!

I'm going to say...Poo Poo. Wait until mid to late july. And to be a broken record take PLENTY of bug spray. Not only are the squitos big, they're angry! The south end beautiful, with the cirque, deep lake, all the terrain in the area. My personal favorite is the titcomb basin. Island lake is serene with Fremonte Peak looming in the background. Fremonte is a relatively easy class 3 scramble all the way to the top. That's my suggestion.

Salud, amigo! and have fun.

Wait until mid to late july. And to be a broken record take PLENTY of bug spray. Not only are the squitos big, they're angry!

this is interesting because i spent some time earlier this month just to the northeast of the Winds up in the Bighorn Mountains / Cloud Peak wilderness area. june conditions were/are a bit on the dry side, snow all but gone, well except for deep in the cloud peak. most suprisingly, not a single mosquito or biting fly the entire time. wow, that made things all the more glorious!

this is interesting because i spent some time earlier this month just to the northeast of the Winds up in the Bighorn Mountains / Cloud Peak wilderness area. june conditions were/are a bit on the dry side, snow all but gone, well except for deep in the cloud peak. most suprisingly, not a single mosquito or biting fly the entire time. wow, that made things all the more glorious!
Awesome!!! I've yet to find a place this early without mosquitos. I need to get to the Cloud Peak Wilderness too. Maybe you're just a walking citronella station, invite me to come next time.
Salud, amigo!

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
D Backpacking Advice in the Winds, Teton Wilderness and the Washakie Wilderness Trip Planning 8
Lowro Winds advice Trip Planning 11
Aries_Ranger South Winds Advice... Trip Planning 4
Hurakan Need some Winds Advice. Trip Planning 14
wsp_scott Article: Trapped in the Winds General Discussion 2
Bob Glaciers of the Winds video General Discussion 0
U Help with a Winds itinerary Trip Planning 19
OldBill (mis)Adventures in and around the Winds Backpacking 8
Janice Wonderful Week in the Winds Backpacking 7
W Greetings from the West Side of the Winds (Wind River range) Noobs: Introduce yourself! 5
Mijita Winds from gannett to cirque Trip Planning 16
CodyL Winds- Big water slide Trip Planning 3
OldBill Winds: Aug 28-Sep 19, 2021 Backpacking 6
Janice Winds - Bears Ears Trail? Trip Planning 6
Janice 7 Breathtaking Days in the Winds Trip Reports 15
andyjaggy Last minute Winds trip Meet Up (Members Only) 12
D Input for our trip to the Winds??? Trip Planning 6
OldBill In and Around the Winds, Sept 2020 Backpacking 8
Happyidiot 4 Days In The Winds Backpacking 10
misSOULa Into the Winds: Titcomb Basin and Gannett Peak Attempt Backpacking 6
RyanP 5-day Winds trip in early Sep---suggestions? Trip Planning 18
OldBill A segmented month in the Winds Trip Planning 17
Happyidiot Winds in Early August Trip Planning 7
Janice Acclimating to altitude & a few other questions for Winds trip Trip Planning 23
Yvonne Backpacking the Winds: From Elkhart TH to Titcomb Basin, July 2018 Backpacking 20
OldBill A return to the Winds: Sept 12-28, 2019 Backpacking 8
Hiker Seth Southern Winds tour 8/23/19 - 8/28/19 Backpacking 11
Bob Bomber Lake - Winds Current fire Trip Planning 0
Kullaberg63 Super short notice: Looking for Winds partner Meet Up (Members Only) 4
Kullaberg63 Winds: Backpacking to Bikepacking Backpacking 2
pstm13 A Family Trip in the Winds: Big Sandy and the Cirque Backpacking 11
TeamJenkins17 Quick 4 day Winds trip Trip Planning 32
RyanP Texas Pass (Winds) in late July Trip Planning 23
RyanP 5-day route in Winds in late July? Trip Planning 0
Burrito Winds - Pole Creek -> Lester Pass -> Island Lake / Titcomb -> Hobbs Backpacking 7
Dave Missing Boy Scout in the Winds General Discussion 7
J Southern Winds Backpacking 4
Lowro The Southern Winds Backpacking 0
H suggestion needed: 9-day solo Winds near Elkhart Park Trip Planning 5
Burrito Winds - July 1-3 - Elkhart -> Hobbs -> Lester Pass -> Pole Creek Backpacking 14
b.stark Winds snow conditions? Trip Planning 13
outnabout Weather in the Winds late Sept Trip Planning 6
Ross Partners for Twin Lakes, Sawtooths+Titcomb & Cirque of the Towers, Winds Trip Planning 8
River Lost Dog in the Winds General Discussion 1
Aldaron Winds - Green River Lakes to Elkhart Park Backpacking 14
Jackson Clear Creek (Northern Winds) Trip Planning 14
A Winds and bear storage General Discussion 11
Artemus Winds Conditions 2015 General Discussion 39
Blake Merrell Help! First Trip to the Winds. Trip Planning 90
Aldaron Winds in August Trip Planning 9