Winds in August

Aldaron

Bought plane tickets last night for my nearly 3 weeks in Wyoming in August. I may end up doing about 2 weeks in the Winds and then a few days in the Uintas. It'll be nice to get back!

But, man, the rental car price for a car that will spend nearly two weeks parked at a trailhead is PAINFUL.

But, man, the rental car price for a car that will spend nearly two weeks parked at a trailhead is PAINFUL
That's why I'll take an extra day or 2 and drive there in 2016. Plus you can bring more gear for your car camping acclimation time, resupply and bring extra gear if for some reason we need to regroup.
But have an awesome trip! I can't wait to go there!
What area of the Winds will you explore? 2 weeks you could sure see a lot! Any fishing going on?

Ooh, thanks for reminding me to add "Buy fishing license" to my to-do list.

This is a complicated trip involving some of my family for part of the trip and then solo for another part of the trip. I'm planning to show the family Titcomb and Shangri-La. And then when I'm solo I'm just going to meander my way north up to Green River Lakes.

I considered driving, but my wife just doesn't have enough vacation time to justify the extra driving days. She's leaving with my family half-way through the trip so I would also be driving back by myself...that didn't sound very fun.

Plus, hey, I travel enough for work that the plane tickets were free!

Also, I may be heading down to southern Utah in the fall for a few days, and I'll probably drive on that trip just so I have my own capable 4x4 that I don't mind beating up.

I'll get you some pictures (as will many others this year, I'm sure) that will get you excited about your trip!

Reactions: Opi
Sounds like a cool trip! And yes I'm expecting many awesome TR's from the winds later this year on here. That's how I discovered this site. I was looking into going to the winds and happened upon this site.

I just realized that it'll be cheaper to buy an annual fishing license than a daily one for 14 days. I guess I'll need to plan more trips out there over the next year. I have to try out this Tenkara rod I bought nearly two years ago after using Nick's.

Do you have a firm date for getting to GR Lake TH? Right now beyond work I think I'm only obligated the first week of August; maybe I could help you save that money aside from gas, some barley pop, maybe a couple of chickens.

I drive Union once almost every year. You make it Sunday afternoon the 12th and maybe I could do the day from Dubois area to Jackson after a Saturday in the Southern Absaroka.

If not have an awesome trip man.

Right now the plan is to exit on the morning of the 14th. I appreciate the offer. I think I've resigned myself to the car, but maybe we can get together for my dearly needed hamburger when I get out!

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Happyidiot Winds in Early August Trip Planning 7
wsp_scott Article: Trapped in the Winds General Discussion 2
Bob Glaciers of the Winds video General Discussion 0
U Help with a Winds itinerary Trip Planning 19
OldBill (mis)Adventures in and around the Winds Backpacking 8
Janice Wonderful Week in the Winds Backpacking 7
W Greetings from the West Side of the Winds (Wind River range) Noobs: Introduce yourself! 5
Mijita Winds from gannett to cirque Trip Planning 16
CodyL Winds- Big water slide Trip Planning 3
OldBill Winds: Aug 28-Sep 19, 2021 Backpacking 6
Janice Winds - Bears Ears Trail? Trip Planning 6
Janice 7 Breathtaking Days in the Winds Trip Reports 15
andyjaggy Last minute Winds trip Meet Up (Members Only) 12
D Backpacking Advice in the Winds, Teton Wilderness and the Washakie Wilderness Trip Planning 8
D Input for our trip to the Winds??? Trip Planning 6
OldBill In and Around the Winds, Sept 2020 Backpacking 8
Happyidiot 4 Days In The Winds Backpacking 10
misSOULa Into the Winds: Titcomb Basin and Gannett Peak Attempt Backpacking 6
RyanP 5-day Winds trip in early Sep---suggestions? Trip Planning 18
OldBill A segmented month in the Winds Trip Planning 17
Janice Acclimating to altitude & a few other questions for Winds trip Trip Planning 23
Yvonne Backpacking the Winds: From Elkhart TH to Titcomb Basin, July 2018 Backpacking 20
OldBill A return to the Winds: Sept 12-28, 2019 Backpacking 8
Hiker Seth Southern Winds tour 8/23/19 - 8/28/19 Backpacking 11
Bob Bomber Lake - Winds Current fire Trip Planning 0
Kullaberg63 Super short notice: Looking for Winds partner Meet Up (Members Only) 4
Kullaberg63 Winds: Backpacking to Bikepacking Backpacking 2
pstm13 A Family Trip in the Winds: Big Sandy and the Cirque Backpacking 11
TeamJenkins17 Quick 4 day Winds trip Trip Planning 32
RyanP Texas Pass (Winds) in late July Trip Planning 23
RyanP 5-day route in Winds in late July? Trip Planning 0
Lowro Winds advice Trip Planning 11
Burrito Winds - Pole Creek -> Lester Pass -> Island Lake / Titcomb -> Hobbs Backpacking 7
Dave Missing Boy Scout in the Winds General Discussion 7
J Southern Winds Backpacking 4
Lowro The Southern Winds Backpacking 0
H suggestion needed: 9-day solo Winds near Elkhart Park Trip Planning 5
Burrito Winds - July 1-3 - Elkhart -> Hobbs -> Lester Pass -> Pole Creek Backpacking 14
b.stark Winds snow conditions? Trip Planning 13
Aries_Ranger South Winds Advice... Trip Planning 4
outnabout Weather in the Winds late Sept Trip Planning 6
Hurakan Need some Winds Advice. Trip Planning 14
Ross Partners for Twin Lakes, Sawtooths+Titcomb & Cirque of the Towers, Winds Trip Planning 8
River Lost Dog in the Winds General Discussion 1
Aldaron Winds - Green River Lakes to Elkhart Park Backpacking 14
Jackson Clear Creek (Northern Winds) Trip Planning 14
A Winds and bear storage General Discussion 11
Artemus Winds Conditions 2015 General Discussion 39
Blake Merrell Help! First Trip to the Winds. Trip Planning 90
andyjaggy Winds in early July Trip Planning 18