Wind River trip suggestions.

Jordan12

New Member
Joined
Sep 30, 2026
Messages
1
I just finished my first trip into the winds. It was a 6 day trip to deep creek lakes with a summit of wind river peak. I am already to go back. I am looking at upper golden lake and maybe a day trip to the fortress. Any suggestions on the best route to get to upper golden lake? Are there many camp sites? Trying to stay under 50 total miles.

I’m open to other destinations. Looking for a 4-5 day trip. My primary goal is fishing. My trip window is the first two to three weeks of September.
 
Quickest way to upper Golden is probably to go in from Elkhart Park then over Angel Pass, but you do need to be comfortable with off trail scrambling to go over that. Otherwise you're looking at Hay Pass which has a long approach no matter what trailhead you use. From Angel Pass, you can drop down the valley below lake 10885 and may pick up a use trail as you descend toward the Golden Lakes chain.

I recall the best camping being around Lake Louise and Lower Golden. Watch the weather carefully in September as getting out of that valley pretty much requires going over a high pass no matter which way you go assuming you come in from the West side (which is by far the most common approach.

A couple photos from the area in 2013:

West side of Angel Pass
P1080291-L.jpg


East side of Angel Pass
P1080305-L.jpg


View to the South looking over upper Golden
P1080535-L.jpg
 
  • Like
Reactions: Bob
All trail, easy hiking ..... From Elkhart, to Mary's, to Chain, to Timico.. Cut over to Hay pass from there. Easy trail up from the SW corner Timico. Was good fishing at the lake 10322 just at the start of hay. Fish in Dennis. Also Golden's in the 4 lakes around Golden lk. A really scenic hike from Timico to Camp lk. No fish in Alpine lks. Supposedly fish in Camp but I never seen any. Fish in most of lakes in Bull Lake Creek drainage. Elkhart to Camp Lk is 26 miles.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top