Wind River Range: Llama Trekking from Dickinson Park to The Cirque of The Towers

Wolverine1875

Figuring 6 days/5 nights on this route for Aug 2019. Renting 2 llamas to assist as my Wife and I are headed out with our 3 boys (then ages 13, 11, and 11)...kids have hiked but this will be their biggest excursion so far in terms of duration and daily mileage.
1st night at Sanford Park, then 3 nts at Lizard Head Meadows (with day hiking from that base camp), and last night at Sanford again (on the exit).

Comments anyone?

Last edited:
Found this that you might find interesting, pretty much describing almost the exact route you are thinking about:

https://rootsrated.com/lander-wy/ba...packing-dickinson-park-to-lizard-head-plateau

You don't need permits though.
It sounds like a tough first long trip for the kids. If I were to make a suggestion it would be to hike from Big Sandy TH and stay the first night at Big Sandy Lake, then hike up and over into the Cirque and then camp at Lizard Head Meadows...just be aware that a lot of the ground through there can be marshy so you have to pick your campsites carefully.

Found this that you might find interesting, pretty much describing almost the exact route you are thinking about:

https://rootsrated.com/lander-wy/ba...packing-dickinson-park-to-lizard-head-plateau

It sounds like a tough first long trip for the kids. If I were to make a suggestion it would be to hike from Big Sandy TH and stay the first night at Big Sandy Lake, then hike up and over into the Cirque and then camp at Lizard Head Meadows...just be aware that a lot of the ground through there can be marshy so you have to pick your campsites carefully.
T

I had seen that page/route...doesn’t provide much info...unless I am missing something.
I originally intended to start at big sandy but the llama rental place steered me elsewhere for an easier approach for both kids and llamas. Jackass pass could be tough for them.
Why do you suggest big sandy entry?
And a usfs permit is needed for the llamas and tribal fishing permits needed for Dickinson park entry.
Thx for the reply!

You're right...totally spaced out on Jackass Pass....impossible for stock but is actually quite fun for kids (and adults) with all the rock scrambling. However there is a trail that goes around the lake on the opposite side of all the rock scrambling. I suggested that entrance as it is easier to get to and the first 6 miles in is all flat terrain and a very enjoyable first day...plus no tribal permits.

Why do you need a permit for the llamas? (Not knocking it, just curious).

Sorry I can't be more help...the area is gorgeous and you'll love it. It sounds like your route is well thought-out and planned after reading some other forums on the subject. Enjoy and have fun...look forward to the trip report.

Last edited:
You're right...totally spaced out on Jackass Pass....impossible for stock but is actually quite fun for kids (and adults) with all the rock scrambling. However there is a trail that goes around the lake on the opposite side of all the rock scrambling. I suggested that entrance as it is easier to get to and the first 6 miles in is all flat terrain and a very enjoyable first day...plus no tribal permits.

Why do you need a permit for the llamas? (Not knocking it, just curious).

Sorry I can't be more help...the area is gorgeous and you'll love it. It sounds like your route is well thought-out and planned after reading some other forums on the subject. Enjoy and have fun...look forward to the trip report.
I think the other entrance you reference is bears ears trail from Dickinson park...and where it hits Lizard Head trail, you come down to the cirque. That’s my guess anyway as it is all I see. That route has longer mileage en route to LH Meadows. Same permits needed.

A free USFS permit is needed when taking livestock into the backcountry; they are surveying/monitoring numbers.
A tribal fish8ng permit is needed on entry and exit day to cross tribal lands. And it must also have a recreation stamp on it for each person in the group...so I am told by Lander Llama...and appropriate web sites.

Will look for some scrambling and hit Texas and/or jackass pass as dayhikes without the llamas. Any other easy peaks or scrambles known in that area?

Thx again

Best,

Or perhaps you were suggesting big sandy to shadow lake to Texas pass and into the cirque? If so, think the pass remains the issue for the llamas.

Try Sweetwater trailhead....on trail all the way to Cirque...way less used

No idea.... Never looked at going thru rez...to many other non rez areas to see....and easier logistics

Usually just properly hang my food. The last couple years I've used ursacks for added security.

Hang it .... I used opsacks

In the upper elevations of the Winds I sleep with it. North of Elkhart park, ursack or hanging is a good idea.

This adventure is just over 3 weeks out. Gearing up. Any current conditions or other info anyone cares to share about the Winds? Thx!

I use opsacks + hang as best as possible. Above treeline is a challenge. Ursack might be a better but heavier option. I don't cook in camp either other than rehydrating freeze dried food.

Was at Island Lake in Silas Canyon one year when the only other person I'd seen all day proceeded to prepare and cook fresh trout. Smell drifted over my camp which was several 100 ft away and behind a treed ridge. He then struck camp and left. I would have moved camp but got hit with a heavy snow squall just after. Kept thinking about that ringing the dinner bell for bear all night. It's not just food storage, but food behavior and where you camp.

Have a great trip! Looking forward to revisiting Silas Canyon and seeing some of Bear Basin (as well as the Cirque/East Fk) in 7 wks.

Lol.... Doesn't take just fish cooking smells....bears can smell anything you are cooking to attract them....

I use opsacks + hang as best as possible. Above treeline is a challenge. Ursack might be a better but heavier option. I don't cook in camp either other than rehydrating freeze dried food.

Was at Island Lake in Silas Canyon one year when the only other person I'd seen all day proceeded to prepare and cook fresh trout. Smell drifted over my camp which was several 100 ft away and behind a treed ridge. He then struck camp and left. I would have moved camp but got hit with a heavy snow squall just after. Kept thinking about that ringing the dinner bell for bear all night. It's not just food storage, but food behavior and where you camp.

Have a great trip! Looking forward to revisiting Silas Canyon and seeing some of Bear Basin (as well as the Cirque/East Fk) in 7 wks.
Bear Basin is nice.....