Wild Las Vegas, naturally. Sampler, 3 different dayhikes Nov 17, 19, 20 2017

John Morrow

Less than 30 miles driving out from Las Vegas in three different directions to three vastly different landscapes.

Nov 17: Lostman Canyon descent to the Colorado River, Lake Mead National Recreation Area, AZ.

This is a little known canyon north of the famed AZ Hot Springs/White Rock Canyon loop and starts from that trailhead. Hot spring searching, we discovered a hot seep but too little water to pool into a soaker. Still, great scramble descending on this one. A Class 5 dryfall has a bypass on a steep slope. We descended the slope and returned ascending the dryfall. The final dryfall to the Colorado River gravel beach is probably Class 4, just takes a bit of effort to work out the moves in a chimney like dryfall.

Starting out:

DSC03881.JPG

DSC03882.JPG
DSC03885.JPG
DSC03890.JPG

DSC03891.JPG

DSC03895.JPG

The final two dryfalls to the river described above:

DSC03900.JPG

DSC03902.JPG
DSC03904.JPG
DSC03910.JPGDSC03914.JPGDSC03919.JPGDSC03921.JPG

DSC03924.JPG

The rest of the return:

DSC03931.JPGDSC03934.JPGDSC03937.JPG

Nov 19: Bonanza Trail, Spring Mountains National Recreation Area, NV.

From a trailhead in Lee Canyon my goal was McFarland Peak. Having read no trip reports, and just the minimal description in Rambles and Scrambles, I peeled off the trail too early and missed the summit gully...oh well, next time. Divide Peak 10067' was my consolation, a mere 100 feet vertical above the height of the trail. Still, a great day among the fantastic bristlecone pines known to this range and expansive views all around.

DSC03940.JPGDSC03950.JPGDSC03954.JPGDSC03957.JPGDSC03960.JPGDSC03962.JPGDSC03965.JPGDSC03966.JPG

Nov 20: Return to Red Rock Canyon National Conservation Area for some hiking and search for rock art.

This is known as the "Kraft Mountain Loop" and has a designated trailhead for such. I extended it up to the head of Gateway Canyon (lower part is on the loop) for a quick descent into Brownstone Canyon befroe retracing my steps. Yes, the rock art is quite special and extensive. Sample here:

DSC03969.JPGDSC03975.JPGDSC03977.JPGDSC03989.JPGDSC03991.JPGDSC04000.JPGDSC04001.JPG

DSC04041.JPGDSC04046.JPGDSC04061.JPGDSC04068.JPGDSC04068.JPGDSC04069.JPG

DividePkSpringMtns.jpgLostmanCany.jpgKraftMtnLoop.jpg

Attachments

• DSC03892.JPG
    DSC03892.JPG
    543.7 KB · Views: 43
  • DSC04052.JPG
    DSC04052.JPG
    568.4 KB · Views: 43
Vegas is underrated for the variety of outdoor activities. Thanks for putting this together.

Vegas is underrated for the variety of outdoor activities. Thanks for putting this together.

Thanks. I agree. It is crazy, the contrast, but Vegas is really situated in a diverse and interesting landscape. At the end of the month I should be on my way to the Mojave. Getting really excited for canyon narrows and slots, peaks to scramble, sand dunes, rock art and desert flora and fauna!

This was great. The striated sandstone and the rock art were superb and so different. Also liked the action scrambling and climbing shots.
Looking forward to the Mojave stuff.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
norwegianxplorer Hiking Sierra de las Nieves, Spain. Sunrise hike from Yunquera, Andalusia, Wild boar and Spanish Ibex Hiking & Camping 0
BJett Packrafting the Obed National Wild & Scenic River - Tennessee On The Water 1
forest dweller Invite First 2 weeks of August, open to anywhere wild and beautiful, western US or Canada, hell, Yukon or Alaska even! Meet Up (Members Only) 10
zionsky Why you should not approach wild animals General Discussion 3
K 38 Years Ago Today ... Close Grizzly Bear Encounter in Wyoming's Teton Wild. Everything Else 2
WoodyBR549 Wild Basin Trip Planning 2
DrNed Wild Zora Foods Gear 0
regehr Little Wild Horse fatalaties Monday General Discussion 12
Wanderlust073 Album BCP Swag in the Wild Photography 51
Stephanie B Old Woman Wash, Three Finger Petroglyphs, and Wild Horse Canyon (Backcountry Fest in the San Rafael Swell) Hiking & Camping 6
regehr these cows are not wild and they are not yours Photography 7
Rockskipper Surviving In The Wild: Can Your Photo Gear Save Your Life? Photography 1
RyanP Little Wild Horse tips for this weekend? Deep cold water in canyon? Trip Planning 5
Rockskipper How close have you been to a wild animal that could eat your lunch (marmots don't count)? General Discussion 26
Rockskipper Wild Horse Butte, Wyoming Hiking & Camping 1
ashleyoutside Slot Canyon Hiking – Little Wild Horse Canyon Hiking & Camping 4
Jon Carbaugh Little Wild Horse/Bell Canyon Loop Hiking & Camping 7
H ON THE ROAD WILD WEST :: Yellowstone, Grand Teton, & Glacier National Park Big Sky Road Trip Photography 8
DrNed Biking The Little Wild Horse Road Everything Else 1
IntrepidXJ Little Wild Horse Canyon & Bell Canyon Hiking & Camping 2
DrNed Little Wild Horse Road Trip Planning 13
Scott Chandler A Return to Desert: Little Wild Horse Hiking & Camping 7
Red Rock Rangers Let the wild rumpus start! Noobs: Introduce yourself! 0
Scott Chandler "Weekending" in Rocky Mountain NP's Wild Basin Backpacking 1
hatchcanyon Utah Emery County: Clay Hills Road aka Wild Horse Road Off Road 4
CaptnKidd Black Dragon Canyon, Crack Canyon, Little Wild Horse (2011) Hiking & Camping 4
D Bear Grylls Running Wild - Utah Episode General Discussion 46
Desertrat Wild Horse Mesa Off Road 7
John Mckean Suggestions for the Little wild horse area of the Swell? Trip Planning 3
Slewings Little Wild Horse Canyon to Bell Canyon Loop Canyoneering 8
Nick Little Wild Horse Canyon Trip Planning 0
Nick Wild Horse Canyon & Window Hiking & Camping 9
Nick Wild Horse Window Rock Art General Discussion 27
Laura A few from my weekend wild hair trip Photography 22
pstm13 Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail General Discussion 9
Udink Flash Flood in Little Wild Horse Canyon 9/1/13 General Discussion 8
Artemus Winds X'ing P1 - Wild! Route Finding, Grizzlies & Deadfall Backpacking 45
Aldaron Wild Horse Canyon Trip Planning 3
PureLightImages Solo Hike with Baby - Northern Swell & Little Wild Horse 10.06.2012 Hiking & Camping 10
barl0w Goblin Valley + Little Wild Horse Canyon - April 2012 (Boy Scouts) Hiking & Camping 4
HomerJ Little Wild Horse - Angels Landing Hiking & Camping 2
Nick Little Wild Horse Canyon and Goblin Valley Hiking & Camping 1
Nick Eating plants in the wild General Discussion 6
Noun Sequitur Jemez River, Las Conchas Trail and Beyond Hiking & Camping 1
kwc Advice for a November visit to Las Vegas Trip Planning 10
LVFlyFisher80 Hello from Las Vegas Noobs: Introduce yourself! 0
jrh Between Las Vegas and St. George Trip Planning 7
gnwatts The Mammoth, Escalante and Las Vegas loop Backpacking 10
Tyler Southern Utah and Las Vegas May 2012 Hiking & Camping 2
IntrepidXJ Hoover Dam, Lake Mead & Las Vegas Everything Else 3