Wild Basin

WoodyBR549

Make me one - with everything...
I've got a 4 nighter - Sept 7, 8, 9 & 10 - @ RMNP Wild Basin; first night @ North St. Vrain; the next three nights @ Upper Ouzel Creek. As I mentioned in my Noobintro, this is a "dynamic" plan... The obvious elephant in the room being this pandemic. If things don't completely blow up, I think I've got as "safe" (for everybody...) a plan as can be reasonably expected - will be driving with almost everything needed (I guess you MUST stop by the RMNP back country office in person to pick up your permit and get a wee bit of a shakedown). Two buddies, that were coming have dynamically bailed out, so, it appears this will be a solo trip. If it ends up being a solo trip (I don't see any change happening there...), I'm going to have to be realistic about plans; which were...

Get to Estes Park area on the 5th of September (or maybe 6th...) and acclimate some; maybe some quick day hikes, etc. Dispersed camp - somewhere?

Pick up permit on Sunday, 6th so as to get a before dawn start on the first day (7th) of said permit.

7th - Get on the trail early ? and head to North St. Vrain campsite. Stash some gear, or, if one of the two sites is vacant, go ahead and set up camp. Then my first question!

? If you were only going to EITHER Thunder Lake (maybe on up to Lake of Many Winds &/or Boulder Grand Pass &/or Tanima Peak) - or - Lion Lakes/Snowbank Lake - which would you suggest and why? If weather looks crappy/iffy, or if I just feel like saving my strength for the next few days, I'll just laze about camp. Has anybody ever bushwhacked up to Twin Lakes just above/north the NSV camp?

8th - Head over to Bluebird Lake area. Again, if camp 2 (Upper Ouzel Creek) is open, set up camp. Knowing me, I'll be at UOC camp by 0800 or 0900 so I'm not counting on it being vacated just yet! I have no problem putzing about finding ways to fill in time and Bluebird Lake seems like a nice spot to putz, so... Anyways, assuming I'll need to wait for housekeeping to get my room ready, and given the next days plans, having an easy, further acclimation day is probably a good idea. If I'm fired up, the weather looks good, etc., I might push up to Isolation Peak (or at least Mahana). Speaking of Mahana... I'm still digging thru whatever beta I can find (on everything related to the area...), but, does anybody have any idea if there's a reasonable way up Mahana from the east? ie above UOC camp? I might spend a little time investigating that this day.

9th - The Counterclockwise Plan - If I did not manage to make it to Isolation Peak on the 8th either head up my newly undiscovered (LOL) UOC col Mahana Peak access, or, more likely, head up to Isolation Peak via the 'standard' route up Bluebird/Pipit/Isolation Lakes. Then, depending on weather, energy, etc., head south down the Divide to Ouzel and the Ogallala peaks. Then, (still very much! studying this...) either bail off of Copeland Mountain, or, backtrack back to Isolation Peak pass/notch/gap.

9th - The Clockwise Plan - Head up Copeland Mountain. Go over Coney Pass, get up to the Divide, hit Ogallala, then head north to Isolation Peak, down to Isolation Lake, maybe tag Mahana, more likely head back to camp.

10th - Lay around camp taking pain relievers of all varities from overdoing it on the 9th!!! I usually can't sit still, but I'm planning a zero day - dammit...,

11th - Head out...

? Any feedback ? Thanks in advance!

I've only made it to Ouzel Lake in that area, and that in the late fall/early spring with plenty of snow still on the ground. Expect it to be somewhat crowded (not main park crowded) up to Ouzel Falls. After that it thins out. After the falls, as you come upon a burn area, there's a mound/small ridge to your left. On the other side of it is Ouzel Creek. It offers some nice views of the mountains with the creek as a leading line that most forego.

Based on my research, I'd do the Lion Lakes area. It's supposed to be a lot more scenic.

There is a route on the East side of Mahana.

If you're stuck at Bluebird waiting on housekeeping, consider trekking further to Lark Pond, Pipit Lake and potentially Isolation Lake.

I've only made it to Ouzel Lake in that area, and that in the late fall/early spring with plenty of snow still on the ground. Expect it to be somewhat crowded (not main park crowded) up to Ouzel Falls. After that it thins out. After the falls, as you come upon a burn area, there's a mound/small ridge to your left. On the other side of it is Ouzel Creek. It offers some nice views of the mountains with the creek as a leading line that most forego.

Based on my research, I'd do the Lion Lakes area. It's supposed to be a lot more scenic.

There is a route on the East side of Mahana.

If you're stuck at Bluebird waiting on housekeeping, consider trekking further to Lark Pond, Pipit Lake and potentially Isolation Lake.
Thanks -