Wide Angle Lens Recommendation for Canon t2i

I've owned the Canon 10-22mm for over three years. I've also rented the Tokina 11-16mm on two occasions for a total of about 4 weeks. The only other contender I know of in that range is the Sigma 10-20mm which I have not used.

From my experience I would say go with the Canon 10-22mm EF-S, hands down. It is overall the best lens from the bunch in my opinion. For a while there I wanted the Tokina to replace my Canon but after using both quite extensively, I'm set on the Canon. Here's the way I see their strengths and weaknesses related to eachother.

Canon 10-22 Pros:
- Lighter than the 11-16
- Wider zoom range, even the 1mm on the wide end is noticeable. The zoom on the 10-22 makes it suitable to leave on most of the time, depending on what you're shooting.
- Quite inexpensive to repair, Canon flat rate service is $85. I just had the front element replaced and a full CLA done for that price.
- Incredible flare resistance, I can usually shoot straight into a campfire or other bright source of light

Canon 10-22 Cons:
- Slower aperture and not fixed through the range of zoom
- Not built as sturdy as the 11-16 but also means it's lighter, still holds up just fine and I beat the crap out of mine
- generally more expensive than the Tokina (right now they're the exact same price on Amazon)

Tokina 11-16 Pros:
- f2.8 fixed aperture
- Cool focus clutch system
- built like a tank
- kick ass sunbursts
- generally less expensive than the 10-22 (right now they're the exact same price on Amazon)

Tokina 11-16 Cons:
- weight like a tank
- zoom ring goes the opposite direction of all of my Canon & Sigma lenses, kind of annoying
- limited zoom range, I didn't like leaving it on my camera for hiking like I do my 10-22
- Bad with flare, I had trouble pointing it even remotely close to a bright light without it flaring up big time

So with all of that said, the only real reason to go with the Tokina, IMO, is aperture and sunbursts. I've shot plenty of great night shots at f3.5. 2.8 would be nice, but not worth giving up the other features of the Canon. As far as the sunbursts, that is one feature about the Toki that I seriously love but again, not worth it overall.

I had the Sigma 10-20mm back when I was using my XSi...it was OK, but I wouldn't recommend it over the Canon or Tokina.

I am looking to buy a wide angle lens for my Canon t2i. i am currently looking at tokina 11-16, canon ef-s10-22. Any recommendations would be helpful.
I really like my Canon ef-s 10-22, best zoom lens I own. Don't drop it in water, Canon won't fix it...

Reactions: Nik
I dropped mine in water, I guess they just didn't figure it out?
They just returned mine with no explanation other than "cannot be fixed", didn't charge anything including postage. Other than the water mine wasn't physically damaged in any way.

Depending on how wide you want to go, I have owned the Tamron 17-50 2.8. It is a stellar lens. I currently own the Tokina 10-17 but it is a fisheye lens. A very nice lens as well.

Of course the Tokina 11-16 gets my vote. Nick covered most everything I can think of but I will add that the Tokina WILL work with a canon full frame sensor and the 10-22 will not.

If you want really wide, you could go fisheye - something like the 15mm sigma, or find a crop-sensor 10.5mm lens, if there is one for Canon.

I'm really enjoying my new 16-35 f/4, and I know that lens is made in a 2.8 for Canon. It's pretty wide, and will not only work on the crop-sensor, but also on full frame if you ever want to go there.

Here are some photos from both the 10.5mm on crop, and the 16mm on FF: http://www.flickr.com/photos/barl0w/

I owned the 17-50mm 2.8 VC Tamron mentioned above, and found it extremely versatile, and not too long of a lens (hiking/packing a long lens is a pain). I wish I had sent the lens in sooner because I found that it was a tad soft, and sharpening in PP was always a necessity.

Before jumping to FF, I considered the 11-16mm 2.8, and consider it the finest WA lens on a crop sensor.

Love love love the Canon EF-s 10-22mm. It's my most-used lens for general out-and-about hiking/camping photography.

I can't wait to use my Tokina lens the first time for some star trails. I have the one with the Nikon mount, but I guess there is no difference.
And my first impression is that the lens is lighter than my old Nikon 10-24mm. I've no idea how heavy Canon lenses usually are, but compared to some of my Nikon lenses the Tokina is absolutely okay.