Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm Buff-curious

Votes: 10 27.8%
  • Who cares?

Votes: 4 11.1%

• Total voters

Nick

-
Who here uses a Buff when they head outside? I have some friends who swear by them but most of the people I know would probably best be classified as Buff-curious (myself included). So what is it about them? Do you like them in the heat or just cooler temps?

Links if you don't know what a Buff is:
http://amzn.to/2Fv0Tek

I almost always have one in my pack as a hedge against a cold neck, blowing sand, etc.

However, the thing I use far more often than a real buff is a buff headband. It's less versatile but I *really* like having something to keep sweat from running down my face/head.

I keep meaning to purchase one. With my hair style, it is obviously hard to put it up. So I usually leave it down and sweat all over myself or I use 8-10 bobbi pins which usually end up falling out somewhere along the trail. A buff would help.
I have a friend that uses them religiously. He let me borrow an extra. I slept one night without one and the next with and having my neck covered made me feel so much warmer.
I bet they would be good in really buggy areas too :)

I have one for several years right now. I usually use it as a headband while hiking or backpacking, once in a while it's also nice to use it as a beanie.
On my tours to the lava, it is one of my essential pieces of gear and I sometimes use it when air quality is really awful. I use it to protect myself against sulfur fumes that sometimes happens when the wind shifts in the wrong direction. It's also nice to soak it with ice water on the hike out in full sun.
Last January it was sort of my life safer when I cut my leg open on the lava and was running out of first aid gear. I used the buff to wrap it around my leg to slow down the bleeding and could continue shooting for a few more hours.
I'm definitely more than happy to have one and its multiple uses are perfect for almost everything.

I usually pack one if it's winter or if it's going to be windy. Nice to sleep with it in the cold winter nights!

I take one with me on every trip, no matter the temps.

If you simply wear it around you neck in chilly weather, it does wonders at keeping your body heat in. (It is awesome for those chilly moments when you first crawl out of the tent on a crisp morning).

And in warm or windy weather I like to wear it up on my face to protect from sun/windburn.

- Kyle

I just picked a merino wool one up from Massdrop. Haven’t had an opportunity to try it out yet. I’ll probably use it mostly as a neck gaiter on cold mornings or on windy peaks and passes. Might also be handy when the mosquitoes are out.

Actually mine is not a "Buff" but rather a "North x North Merino Kerchief & Hooded Neck Gaiter"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
The only time my buff is not in my pack is the middle of summer, otherwise it makes a lightweight neck warmer or hat. I got an "original" buff a couple years ago and then found a 4-pack of knockoffs on amazon for ~$10. My kids love them also.

I see a lot of people wearing these even when it's hot. Sounds strangling to me.

I'm a fan, I have had a few too many bad sunburns on the back of my neck/ears. Fishing and exploring around I like to wear it over the back of my head and covering my ears with my hat on top. Maybe not the most fashionable but it beats constantly re-applying sunscreen for me! I don't typically hike like that though, at least when its hot.

I wore mine pretty much every day on Deso last year. When its super windy and cold, they work great as a combo with a beanie.
b7xg05.jpg

I have two, but I've yet to try them out - part of the hoarding problem.

Reactions: Ben
I have two buffs and a shemagh.

1 light weight buff that can be worn under a hat or on it's own like a bandana. It is made of sunblocking material. Can be used to protect the face from sun, sand, bugs etc. Also use it as a way to pick up the titanium pot from the stove without burning my fingers. Emergency bandage, pre-filter for water purification, hand towel... Lots of uses.

1 polar fleece buff for cold weather. Does everything shown above but it's nice and toasty.

1 shemagh. Does pretty much everything a bandana can do plus turn into a carry bag, shade maker, ground cloth, arm sling... Look online for how many ways it can be used outdoors.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

LOL the options don't describe me.

I have a fairly heavy duty buff for winter months. While hiking (or scraping off the car, driving to a company car, scraping another car and heating up that car to go to work) I wear it around the neck and over my mouth. Very nice for keeping that neck, lower face warm. I don't love it as it is fairly niche to these cold months but use it all the time when it is proper and is way better for my use than a scarf.

I can see getting a lighter one for spring/summer/fall camping to make those mornings and evenings more comfortable.

A lighter one would also make a great eye mask for sleeping under the light of the moon.

All that said, I would never wear one over my head personally. I already wear hats to cut down on sunburn and don't need another layer up on the noggin. I have my BCP beanie with me all the time for if the wind is a bit much for a hat and just hope the sun doesn't hate me too much on those days.

I have a merino one cut in half I like for winter. I can wear it under a ball cap and it's not too hot like most beanie type hats. For summer field work I usually use a fishing gaiter face mask thing. It's more fitted than a buff so it stays up better and is lighter. Nice for preventing the ol scorchface as well as keeping gnats out of the ears and beard.

I have two buffs and a shemagh.

1 light weight buff that can be worn under a hat or on it's own like a bandana. It is made of sunblocking material. Can be used to protect the face from sun, sand, bugs etc. Also use it as a way to pick up the titanium pot from the stove without burning my fingers. Emergency bandage, pre-filter for water purification, hand towel... Lots of uses.

1 polar fleece buff for cold weather. Does everything shown above but it's nice and toasty.

1 shemagh. Does pretty much everything a bandana can do plus turn into a carry bag, shade maker, ground cloth, arm sling... Look online for how many ways it can be used outdoors.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Shemagh. Love em. Carry one all the time. Had to use one when my hat blew right off my head with the strap cinched tight. My wife won't let me out of the house wearing one though. Someone smart would make them out of Coolmax and you'd have the best of both worlds but loose a bunch of money at the same time.

Just bought one. I loathe to put on sun screen so I’m happy to get some back of neck protection without putting that crap on. Thanks for posting.

I use one.

Paddling (usually)- sun and bug protection. My paddling mates tease me that I look like a river bandit when I pull it up over lower part of my face.
Fishing (often) - sun and bug protection.
Sleeping (sometimes) - warmth and eye shade.
Mountain biking (sometimes) - as headband to prevent sweat in the eyes.
Vanity (sometimes) - to cover up my messy bead head when I've forgot a hat (usually on outdoorsy trips).
Cold/snow weather - warmth, wind, and sun protection.

And while on Survivor (still love the show)!