Where to see/hear wolves Yellowstone NP backcountry in September?

Georgia Yankee

Any thoughts on good places to see or hear wolves in Yellowstone National Park backcountry in September?

I don't hear them in the backcountry so much as in the Lamar, when I stop along the road.

Just south of the Park they were quite vocal in mid August this year at Sheffield Creek Campground

Our group heard plenty of them at campsite WA1 on Gneiss Creek last year in September. They howled us to sleep essentially.

As noted by others, best places to see them: 1. Lamar Valley 2. Hayden Valley 3. Expanse SE of confluence of Slough Creek & Lamar R (technically still Lamar Valley but most seem to consider "Lamar Valley" as the area above Lamar Canyon) - There are a lot of wolf groupies in the upper Lamar Valley - Just look for where the parked vehicles and the spotting scopes are.

Hearing them: Same places as above BUT most of my hearings of wolves howling have been along/near the south boundary of the park, as have a few sightings.

Wolves are wolves, though. They can show up anywhere at anytime.

If all else fails, you can camp near the Grizzly Discovery place in W. Yellowstone. My brother camped near there one time, not knowing about the wolves there, and was pretty freaked all night by the nearby howling. Thought he was a goner, even though he was in his truck camper.

Yeah, last time I was in Lamar, another backpacker walked through my camp one morning because he was following a wolf and trying to get more views. I saw nothing. I've heard them drone on for a long sessions deep in the Thorofare near the park boundary.

I don't hear them in the backcountry so much as in the Lamar, when I stop along the road.
A couple of people have told me the same thing. And to look for the people with spotting scopes.
Our group heard plenty of them at campsite WA1 on Gneiss Creek last year in September. They howled us to sleep essentially.
Not familiar with that area. Have to look at a map to see where it is!

I watched one walk along the road next to my car on my way to visit Old Faithful haha, but I think that was just a weird fluke.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
C WHERE TO GO IN MARCH? Trip Planning 2
P Packing your pack, what goes where? General Discussion 16
gnwatts Not sure where this is. General Discussion 8
J Identify the spot Utah: I don't know where it is General Discussion 2
regehr Dude Where's My Arch Hiking & Camping 8
montanaclimber Americans: where was your favorite international backpacking trip? Trip Planning 25
balzaccom Bear Canister...where does it go? Trip Planning 19
forest dweller Where to go, last minute, early August, with wife, for 2 weeks, with no backcountry permits? Trip Planning 25
TrektheWorld Where should I go this weekend? Trip Planning 7
Titans Matt took his trailer where? General Discussion 6
o2bav8 Where ever the wind blows Hiking & Camping 19
Miya International Backpacking: Where to Store my Junk? Trip Planning 11
mathew suggestions on where to go Trip Planning 1
Perry Can You Guess Where The Uintas Are? General Discussion 5
b.stark Maze 2017-But seriously, where are Steve's gummy bears? Backpacking 7
F Any where good? (in Texas) Trip Planning 4
Perry Dumb Question of the Day: Where is the northern gate on the Mirror Lake highway General Discussion 4
Perry Where's my trip report? Questions, Suggestions & Support 3
Dustin Gent where to go? 4 days Trip Planning 11
Jammer Where is this Arch? General Discussion 4
Jammer Where is it -- TV/Movie Edition General Discussion 13
Kullaberg63 Anyone know where this petroglyph is located? General Discussion 5
Bigred72 Prints and framing-Where to? Photography 3
Tye Dye Twins Where to Post Backcountry skiing stuff? Questions, Suggestions & Support 8
12trysomething VIDEO: Meandering Down The NPT...UhOh Where Are My Keys? Backpacking 1
Devo Where is this? General Discussion 13
steve Where are your favorite primitive camping spots near Capitol Reef/Torrey? General Discussion 6
Glasterpiece Where is it? General Discussion 2
Thomas Rasmuson Where do you get your gear? Gear 19
Thomas Rasmuson Where to go in the Uintas? Trip Planning 6
Duke Where are the top 25 Landscape photo locations Photography 13
Jammer Guess the Spot (not where you think) General Discussion 10
Nick Where to go... Trip Planning 17
Yvonne Spring Break mid March, but where to go? Trip Planning 26
Nick Where to fish near Salt Lake City General Discussion 8
Backcountry Post Where do you buy your gear? General Discussion 14
DOSS Yeah... don't know where to go next weekend - help Trip Planning 7
gnwatts Where would this be? General Discussion 3
backpack Where are dogs NOT allowed? Trip Planning 2
Nick Here come the monsoons - where to go now!? General Discussion 8
balzaccom SEKI wants to hear from you General Discussion 1
kansas How far away from the interstate before you can't hear it? Trip Planning 2
Jackson Bill to kill up to 90% of Idaho wolves signed by governor General Discussion 17
Artemus How to find Coyotes & Wolves General Discussion 14