Where to go in the Uintas?

I need some ideas on where to go backpacking this summer. I have places that I go to every year and those trips are already marked down on the calendar. But I am looking for a new spot. I am planning a 3 day, 2 nighter. Looking at anything between 10-15 mile all around trip. Are there any good ones where you can park at one trail head and end up at a different trail head, or any that does a loop where we could pick up camp each morning and move to a different spot? I am considering the Long Lake Loop, and that one sounds really fun, but are there any other good ones? Also, good fishing is a must! Thank you in advance

I did a Ibantik - Notch Lake Loop last summer and loved it. It was around 12-15 miles total. You could also do a variation on what I did and instead of going cross country you could end at the Bald Mountain trail head. As far as views go, Ibantik is awesome and it may be the best bang for the buck there is.

I did a Ibantik - Notch Lake Loop last summer and loved it. It was around 12-15 miles total. You could also do a variation on what I did and instead of going cross country you could end at the Bald Mountain trail head. As far as views go, Ibantik is awesome and it may be the best bang for the buck there is.

That is a great report of the loop. I'm definitely going to do that one this summer!

Another question. What good trips does anyone recommend that is low in elevation in the Unitas? One where the snow melts a little earlier and it's easier to get in an early summer trip instead of waiting until July/August?

10-15 is a bit short for a lot of the point-to-points I'd normally suggest. The Ibantik one is good though. About 10 miles starting from Bald Mountain TH and ending at Crystal Lake. I did that route in 2011: http://backcountrypost.com/forum/threads/uintas-ibantik-lake-loop.283/

I'm traveling right now, but I'll think of some others that might work and post when I'm back at my computer. The 'goods' in the Uintas pretty much all involve bumping your mileage though. 20+ is a good start. 30+ and now we're talking...

I would think Ibantik lake would be doable in June, I'm hoping to try it anyway. ;) Someone with more experience could chime in and let me know if I am going to get myself stuck in a snowbank trying it. :)

You'll likely encounter snow around the notch at the very least doing Ibantik in June.

Yeah, snow on The Notch is highly likely, but like every year, it just depends. Whether winter is good or bad, it's the melt that matters. We'll have a Uintas Conditions thread here on BCP once it starts to melt out a bit. For early trips, there aren't many lakes available but Duck Lake can be good as it is around 9800'. You still have to cross over a little pass though so it would still be a little snowy/muddy even if the lake is clear. I like to hit the lower drainages in the early spring. Shingle Creek is fun, as is North Fork Provo. I have trip reports on both kicking around here. We just hiked until we hit snow. Makes for a nice place to cool a beer down.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Perry Can You Guess Where The Uintas Are? General Discussion 5
C WHERE TO GO IN MARCH? Trip Planning 2
P Packing your pack, what goes where? General Discussion 16
gnwatts Not sure where this is. General Discussion 8
J Identify the spot Utah: I don't know where it is General Discussion 2
Georgia Yankee Where to see/hear wolves Yellowstone NP backcountry in September? Trip Planning 16
regehr Dude Where's My Arch Hiking & Camping 8
montanaclimber Americans: where was your favorite international backpacking trip? Trip Planning 25
balzaccom Bear Canister...where does it go? Trip Planning 19
forest dweller Where to go, last minute, early August, with wife, for 2 weeks, with no backcountry permits? Trip Planning 25
TrektheWorld Where should I go this weekend? Trip Planning 7
Titans Matt took his trailer where? General Discussion 6
o2bav8 Where ever the wind blows Hiking & Camping 19
Miya International Backpacking: Where to Store my Junk? Trip Planning 11
mathew suggestions on where to go Trip Planning 1
b.stark Maze 2017-But seriously, where are Steve's gummy bears? Backpacking 7
F Any where good? (in Texas) Trip Planning 4
Perry Dumb Question of the Day: Where is the northern gate on the Mirror Lake highway General Discussion 4
Perry Where's my trip report? Questions, Suggestions & Support 3
Dustin Gent where to go? 4 days Trip Planning 11
Jammer Where is this Arch? General Discussion 4
Jammer Where is it -- TV/Movie Edition General Discussion 13
Kullaberg63 Anyone know where this petroglyph is located? General Discussion 5
Bigred72 Prints and framing-Where to? Photography 3
Tye Dye Twins Where to Post Backcountry skiing stuff? Questions, Suggestions & Support 8
12trysomething VIDEO: Meandering Down The NPT...UhOh Where Are My Keys? Backpacking 1
Devo Where is this? General Discussion 13
steve Where are your favorite primitive camping spots near Capitol Reef/Torrey? General Discussion 6
Glasterpiece Where is it? General Discussion 2
Thomas Rasmuson Where do you get your gear? Gear 19
Duke Where are the top 25 Landscape photo locations Photography 13
Jammer Guess the Spot (not where you think) General Discussion 10
Nick Where to go... Trip Planning 17
Yvonne Spring Break mid March, but where to go? Trip Planning 26
Nick Where to fish near Salt Lake City General Discussion 8
Backcountry Post Where do you buy your gear? General Discussion 14
DOSS Yeah... don't know where to go next weekend - help Trip Planning 7
gnwatts Where would this be? General Discussion 3
backpack Where are dogs NOT allowed? Trip Planning 2
Nick Here come the monsoons - where to go now!? General Discussion 8
Tarp Boy Looking for Shuttle service for Uintas Granddaddy basin trip Trip Planning 0
2eez4life Suggestions: Uintas Backpacking with some rock climbing routes Trip Planning 0
regehr (Uintas) Lake Fork Fun Backpacking 8
scatman Reid's Peak - Uintas - July 22, 2023 Hiking & Camping 6
Upgrayedd Uintas Conditions 2023 Trip Planning 39
NorthwestWanderer First time in the High Uintas | Red Castle SNEAK Loop | I give these mountains 5 out of 5 stars Backpacking 7
2eez4life Uintas Conditions 2022 Trip Planning 18
regehr Uintas this weekend? Trip Planning 4
2eez4life 4 days 3 nights in the Uintas Trip Planning 9
6 Uintas Trip Planning Trip Planning 5